I could just cry

1perazzi

Now on ebay under CW-veteran newly listed is a great Pat Cleburne ribbon IDd with what looks like the top bar of a Southern Cross of Honor. Then the jackass listed the Arkansas ladder badge seperate then 2 pins each seperately. :crying: I've bid on the ladder badge but man what a tragedy. :( :crying: For some reason this one irkes me more than others. Well my rant is over

I feel your pain. :disgust:

I hate it when sellers break up stuff to sell separately. But, I understand the motivation behind it since they think it will bring more money. I have seen photo albums broken apart to sell the pictures separately and that simply destroys the context and story that the album held together. Don't get me started on the "patch pirates" that strip insignia off uniforms to sell.

Now you got my bood pressure elevated. I am going to have to go walk it off. ;)

Yeah I told him about the ID being lost on the ladder badge, he told me my problems would be solved if i bought them all. about what I expected but still a shame.

Brutal. Really a tragedy to think of how many times this has happened.

Feel your pain, I don't see how it helps anyone except some jackass trying to make a few extra bucks, I wish those folks picked another business as well as the fakers.

-Steve

Yeah I told him about the ID being lost on the ladder badge, he told me my problems would be solved if i bought them all.
So why didn't you make a grab for them all? I just get what people are upset at. What you're looking at was surely broken down from some larger group at some point in the past anyway...

I guess I just don't get why people here raise such a fuss over things. If someone wasn't looking to make money, they'd up and give the stuff away, wouldn't they? :think:

So why didn't you make a grab for them all? I just get what people are upset at. What you're looking at was surely broken down from some larger group at some point in the past anyway...

I guess I just don't get why people here raise such a fuss over things. If someone wasn't looking to make money, they'd up and give the stuff away, wouldn't they? :think:

Would like to but unfortunately my $$ only covers one item not all. And yes I understand all about people wanting to make a buck- I guess I look on this as some fool having a vintage car and taking it apart because he thinks he can get more money out of the parts :think:

they can still make money without splitting up groups like this.

philip

Would like to but unfortunately my $$ only covers one item not all.
Then, wouldn't that mean you couldn't have afforded the group no matter how it was listed? If that's the case, then I really don't see what the issue is, other than being ticked off you didn't have the money (which I've been there too, but I never blame the seller for that). :think:

Then, wouldn't that mean you couldn't have afforded the group no matter how it was listed? If that's the case, then I really don't see what the issue is, other than being ticked off you didn't have the money (which I've been there too, but I never blame the seller for that). :think:

i think he is annoyed (so am i) that ebay sellers like this one break up significant, hard to find, and nice groups. its dissapointing.

philip

Ticked off? not at all. I could've probably swung enough for a reasonable price on the group but as we all know a reasonable price on ebay is a pretty slim chance. My main reason was to just vent a bit on this breakup of a nice named grouping. To me breaking up named groups isnt like selling a pile of web gear and a helmet. You may have noticed the premium people on here put on named groups and the effort and work that goes into reuniting broken up groups. As stated above money could still be made without breaking up the set. Am I blaming the sellier for a lack of funds? Well thats a novel thought but no that never entered my mind. I guess I just dont have that vivid of an imagination.

This is all such old, old news, yet the hand wringing goes on. When you get a group and decide to sell, you don't have to break it up if you don't care to; it's your decision to make. The owner has the right to sell a group as he thinks best for him. Not all sellers are die hard collectors of this stuff who have the same regard for historical integrity as you or I might have. That's the free market system.

Jeez if I'd of known making a comment about a particular grouping was such old,old news or another got worked up about my finances I'd never of posted this in the first place. Sorry to have bored or wound anyone up. :dunno:

Not bored or wound up. It is just that the topic of breaking up groups has been discussed ad nauseum and, to me, it seems pointless to keep going round and round about these perceived crimes against collector humanity.

I have pieces in my own collection that came from a broken up group. I couldn't afford it all, but I did buy what I could afford and more specifically the pieces that I wanted. Does that make me a bad person for contributing to a group's separation? Would it be a surprise to anyone that certain pieces in their own collection originally came from a group that was broken up? If a piece has traveled through many buyer's and seller's hands, its origins become more and more cloudy. Can we all say with certainty that each piece we own was unique? Probably not.

Well, we can all agree that it is a shame when a group gets broken up. It is also a shame when a seller gets branded for doing something wrong which they have every right to do. We all have our opinions and we are free to express them.

Kevin

I have pieces in my own collection that came from a broken up group. I couldn't afford it all, but I did buy what I could afford and more specifically the pieces that I wanted. Does that make me a bad person for contributing to a group's separation? Would it be a surprise to anyone that certain pieces in their own collection originally came from a group that was broken up? If a piece has traveled through many buyer's and seller's hands, its origins become more and more cloudy. Can we all say with certainty that each piece we own was unique? Probably not.

Well, we can all agree that it is a shame when a group gets broken up. It is also a shame when a seller gets branded for doing something wrong which they have every right to do. We all have our opinions and we are free to express them.

Kevin

its dissapointing when a group is split and yes the seller is allowed to do anything they wish with the items. but when its split up on ebay it usually means the seller cares more about monetary value than historical value.

philip

its dissapointing when a group is split and yes the seller is allowed to do anything they wish with the items. but when its split up on ebay it usually means the seller cares more about monetary value than historical value.

philip

"When it is split up on eBay,..."? You do not know the seller's motivation, you presume it. And, in this economy, who is anyone to judge how a person brings money into their household when selling off their possessions? eBay is a venue for presenting items for sale to the largest audience possible. If this seller were displaying his/her items at a table at a flea market, there would not be as big of an uproar because not as many people would be aware of his/her actions.

I collected comic books for more than 40 years. I have taken to selling complete runs of titles in 10 issue blocks. I have broken up complete sets of titles into smaller blocks because I felt I could make more money selling them in smaller lots. Where is the outrage? There is none. Why? Because it doesn't touch a nerve like it would if it were anything military related. A complete run of comics is historically significant, they are more scarce than certain military medals when you consider quantities, yet I doubt people are badmouthing me for my actions. Why am I selling? My motivations are my own affair. But, for someone to judge me without knowing my reasons, that is pretty brash on the part of the one doing the judging.

Kevin

Why am I selling? My motivations are my own affair. But, for someone to judge me without knowing my reasons, that is pretty brash on the part of the one doing the judging.

4gi3p2.jpg

;)

RelicHunter99
"When it is split up on eBay,..."? You do not know the seller's motivation, you presume it. And, in this economy, who is anyone to judge how a person brings money into their household when selling off their possessions? eBay is a venue for presenting items for sale to the largest audience possible. If this seller were displaying his/her items at a table at a flea market, there would not be as big of an uproar because not as many people would be aware of his/her actions.

I collected comic books for more than 40 years. I have taken to selling complete runs of titles in 10 issue blocks. I have broken up complete sets of titles into smaller blocks because I felt I could make more money selling them in smaller lots. Where is the outrage? There is none. Why? Because it doesn't touch a nerve like it would if it were anything military related. A complete run of comics is historically significant, they are more scarce than certain military medals when you consider quantities, yet I doubt people are badmouthing me for my actions. Why am I selling? My motivations are my own affair. But, for someone to judge me without knowing my reasons, that is pretty brash on the part of the one doing the judging.

Kevin

The comic book analogy is completely off point.

These are groups of items that tell the story of an actual human being that fought and sometimes died in a critical point in human history. Nothing can compare to that. And when you destroy that story, its lost forever and its a terrible thing to do. You may possess these items, but they are not "yours". We only preserve these items for future generations. It's shared history.

These are groups of items that tell the story of an actual human being that fought and sometimes died in a critical point in human history. Nothing can compare to that. And when you destroy that story, its lost forever and its a terrible thing to do. You may possess these items, but they are not "yours". We only preserve these items for future generations. It's shared history.

the last thing you said is the forum motto: "Collectors Preserving History"

philip

SCF-Collector

Weighing in late here, but feel the need to add my two-cents.

I'm all for preserving the history - keeping ID's groups together - reuniting them when I have the opportunity. I'm a collector, and I value the history, even if I am only the temporary caretaker of these treasures from our past. I've never broken-up a true identified group, and I don't plan to in the future.

However, I wanted to add two comments to the thought process.

1. As a part-time dealer I can appreciate the seller's perspective. More than a few times I've heard a seller (dealer or individual) make the comment that they would like to see the group kept together, but the value of the group as a whole really limits the potential market for the item. The fact is there are fewer people that can swing $4500-$5000 for a group - but there are lots more potential buyers for the $250 - $500- or even $1000 individual items in the group. If you need to sell the group - because you're a dealer and that's how you make your living - or you're an individual that just needs the cash - that logic has to come into play.

2. Sometimes the historical treasure perspective wins-out. Fairly often someone walks up to my table, or stops me at a show, or calls me, and offers something to me. These folks typically shop these things around, especially at a show, looking for the "best" money. Since most folks know my priority is my collecting and not buying and re-selling things, more than a few times I've managed to purchase a group for less than a dealer might have already offered because the seller knows I intend to keep the group together - in my collection - or if I ever part with it. The fact is that not all sellers are driven entirely by the money - many recognize the significance of these things as we do, and that includes some of those "evil eBay sellers <g>.

Watching a great group broken-up for the extra money is indeed depressing, so instead I try to focus on the victories. There's nothing like re-uniting pieces into a group. I've had a few opportunities to do that over the years - and it feels great because it restores a piece of our collective history.

RelicHunter99

I understand the perspective of dealers and people who need the money. And I don't discount or doubt that need. However, my feeling is that if you cannot make money selling the item as a group, don't invest in it in the first place. No one held a gun to these peoples heads to purchase the group to flip in the first place. And if you're that desperate as a dealer, then perhaps its time you find a new line of work.

For the random Ebay people selling off their relatives groups as individual pieces, well those people just belong in hell anyway.

4gi3p2.jpg

;)

Now that is funny.

I love groupings and collect them. But some groupings need to be split up. Like my Corpsman group, on the acquisitions thread, I wasn't about to spend money on the camel pack, backpacks, or 75.00 pea jacket. How many of his navy hats did i need ? Just one and left the 7 others. White shirts with no insignia, YUP left them behind. 6 pairs of white pants, just need one thanks. Will I break up what I got NO.

Or the WW2 Quartermaster corps group I had. 2 each 4 pocket jackets with no insignia, Ike jacket with 3rd Army patch and brass disks, 5 shirts, ties, socks, underwear, 2 pairs of buckle boots, several mint snot rags and more. No one wanted that group. It was ugly nothing sexy about it. The grouping collectors and preservers of history wanted no part of it. Sure as heck the only way I got rid of it was to split it up.

I'll be honest and tell you what I like. I love sexy groupings. Rare groupings. Hot groupings. So I am prejudice. I love one group and prostitute the other. What does that make me ?

Manchu Warrior

I am guilty of buying items out of a split up group. And I could have let one buyer purchase all the items to keep them together. So, am I as guilty as the seller for helping to split the group up? :think: