25 replies to this topic

#1 DevilDan1900

DevilDan1900

BANNED

• Banned
    • Member ID: 156
  • 547 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 03:55 PM

Check out this sweet early USMC Officer's medal grouping recently posted on Ebay! I doubt if the Air Medal goes with the rest of it, but the named and numbered portions are quite spectacular and extremely rare, especially with such low numbers. I'm sure this will be quite the bidding war.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem

#2 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 376
  • 21,558 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 08:43 AM

VERY interesting group!!! Especially w/ all those early rim numbers. Wonder how the Air Medal got mixed in http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/think.gif Already at $3900+ plus this morning.... http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/pinch.gif

#3 GLM *Deceased*

GLM *Deceased*

DECEASED

• IN MEMORIAM
    • Member ID: 84
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 10:57 PM

VERY interesting group!!! Especially w/ all those early rim numbers. Wonder how the Air Medal got mixed in http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/think.gif Already at $3900+ plus this morning.... http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/pinch.gif

The Air Medal is even a numbered one. My guess is if you did some research, you'd find that this Marine had a son in a position to earn the AM during WWII. Wow, what an excellent, rare medal grouping!

Gary

#4 Manchu Warrior

Manchu Warrior
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,412
  • 3,778 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 02:05 PM

I don't much about this kind of stuff but If anyone on the forum has missed this ebay auction check it out and explain it to us novice collectors. There is a lot on ebay says it is Spanish American War medals and also has a mixture of WWI medals and it is over $4000 and still has six days left. I don't know how this seller has it set up but you have to scan over to see everything.
http://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem

#5 KASTAUFFER

KASTAUFFER

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 105
  • 12,489 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 02:12 PM

Here is a link that will work : http://cgi.ebay.com/...em=130178736251

That group is outstanding . I have NEVER seen a IOD ( Imperial Order of the Dragon ) and Order of the Carabao badge to a Marine . I also am impressed by the low numbers on the campaigns and the 1900 China is out of this world . I bet the price on the group at least doubles by closing time. The sharpshooter badge is awesome too.

Kurt

Edited by KASTAUFFER, 01 December 2007 - 02:15 PM.

#6 Dirk

Dirk

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 171
  • 3,241 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 04:01 PM

Kurt I am thinking it will more than double....the Order of the Dragon number checks out per their book published in 1908 to honor the memorial they erected at the legation that year. In addition the book listed all winners and medal numbers, foreign and domestic ...as well as some fantastic pictures of the compound and the Legation Quarter. Everything tracks with what we known of Brown. Only a select few will be able to try and bring this group home.

Edited by Dirk, 01 December 2007 - 04:06 PM.

#7 KASTAUFFER

KASTAUFFER

• Moderators
  • 12,489 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 04:29 PM

Kurt I am thinking it will more than double....the Order of the Dragon number checks out per their book published in 1908 to honor the memorial they erected at the legation that year. In addition the book listed all winners and medal numbers, foreign and domestic ...as well as some fantastic pictures of the compound and the Legation Quarter. Everything tracks with what we known of Brown. Only a select few will be able to try and bring this group home.

I figured " at least double" was a safe low estimate :lol:

I bet you are right. My " gut check " says 12-15K if the right people bid.

Kurt

Edited by KASTAUFFER, 01 December 2007 - 05:32 PM.

#8 Dirk

Dirk

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 171
  • 3,241 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 05:06 PM

Kurt: As if $8000 is a low estimate :lol: I agree if the right players bid......I wonder if it will go the distance or end sooner....I'll be watching that one!

#9 DevilDan1900

DevilDan1900

BANNED

• Banned
  • 547 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 05:53 PM

That is an extremely nice medal grouping, one of the sweetest I have seen come to ebay out of the woodwork in quite some time. It's filled with just about every scarce and early numbered medal from this period, especially with such low numbers, that one could wish for. I wonder which one of Brown's decendants was responsible for the air medal, as it obviously wasn't awarded to Brown himself. The Boxer Rebellion related USMC stuff, any of it, but especially something of this caliber, are seldom, if ever, seen. I had actually started a thread regarding this amazing grouping a couple of days ago, here is the link:

http://www.usmilitar...showtopic=12677

#10 shrapneldude

shrapneldude
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,424
  • 8,157 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 05:31 PM

I agree, this group is stunning. I wish I had about 10 grand to spend on it! Very nice. Especially for eBay!

#11 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 22
  • 21,946 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 07:06 PM

I saw that one. Definately wish I was richer

#12 KASTAUFFER

KASTAUFFER

• Moderators
  • 12,489 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 08:26 PM

I merged the two threads going on at the same time about this Ebay lot .

Kurt

Edited by KASTAUFFER, 05 December 2007 - 08:30 PM.

#13 Dave

Dave

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 209
  • 13,978 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 09:03 AM

I've got a slow connection at the moment, but would someone like to copy the pictures from the auction and include them in this thread for future reference once the auction ends?

Thanks

DAve

#14 Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

Forum Co-Founder (Ret)

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 2
  • 26,670 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 09:44 AM

I've got a slow connection at the moment, but would someone like to copy the pictures from the auction and include them in this thread for future reference once the auction ends?

Thanks

DAve

chinaorder1.jpg

#15 DevilDan1900

DevilDan1900

BANNED

• Banned
  • 547 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 04:54 PM

Looks like it's over 6,500 and still climbing, with more than a day left to go. I'm sure there will be some last second sniping on this one.

#16 shrapneldude

shrapneldude
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,424
  • 8,157 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 04:37 PM

I watched this end...it went from 6500 to over 10,000 in the last 10 seconds, and up to 15,267.00 in the last 4 secods. Wish it was mine! haha Awesome group.

#17 DevilDan1900

DevilDan1900

BANNED

• Banned
  • 547 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 04:39 PM

WOW, with 49 seconds left on the auction, this baby jumped from $6,600 to over $15,200!! Bet the seller was quite pleased.

#18 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 376
  • 21,558 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 03:40 AM

Wow, over 2000 views... $15,267 Hope someone snagged the pic's before they were pulled?

#19 kklinejr

kklinejr
  • Members
    • Member ID: 99
  • 2,886 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 07:01 AM

I have to be honest, it sold for within $17.00 of what I thought it would (if only I could have that close of a guess with the lottery ^_^ ). That group reminds me of the identified AVG group that came up a few years back on Ebay (which one lucky member on the forum now owns). I guess when it comes to items of that rarity, the sky is the limit. All I can say is thank heavens the music and entertainment industry icons are more into sportscars, grills, and bling than militaria or these items would never fall into the hands of the "Average Joe" collector.

Ken

#20 Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

Forum Co-Founder (Ret)

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 2
  • 26,670 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 07:51 AM

There were three bidders over $10,000.

So did this include free shipping?

#21 Russell 1910

Russell 1910
  • Members
    • Member ID: 141
  • 224 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 09:08 AM

I have to be honest, it sold for within $17.00 of what I thought it would (if only I could have that close of a guess with the lottery ^_^ ). That group reminds me of the identified AVG group that came up a few years back on Ebay (which one lucky member on the forum now owns). I guess when it comes to items of that rarity, the sky is the limit. All I can say is thank heavens the music and entertainment industry icons are more into sportscars, grills, and bling than militaria or these items would never fall into the hands of the "Average Joe" collector.

Ken

Let's please not give the celebs and richies any ideas.

#22 Manchu Warrior

Manchu Warrior
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,412
  • 3,778 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 09:12 AM

The "Average Joe" can afford to spend $15,000 for a couple of rows of medals?

#23 Kurt Barickman

Kurt Barickman

Forum Subject Advisor

• FORUM SUBJECT ADVISOR
    • Member ID: 199
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 12:04 PM

I just acquired a USMC officer uniform to a member of the Dragon order who also was there in Peking/Beijing. Among the documents in the group is a list of all the American members and Brown is indeed listed as a USMC captain.

Kurt Barickman

#24 cwnorma

cwnorma
  • Members
    • Member ID: 594
  • 2,381 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 12:33 PM

All I can say is thank heavens the music and entertainment industry icons are more into sportscars, grills, and bling than militaria or these items would never fall into the hands of the "Average Joe" collector.

Ken,

Actually, there are quite a few music and entertainment types who are active collectors of militaria. Peter Jackson (director of Lord of the Rings and King Kong) collects WW1 militaria. Danny Glover (Lethal Weapon) collects US Civil War militaria. Mel Torme (he died a few years back) used to collect Colt Single Actions (including the Army models), Sylvester Stallone collects knives (including military), Tom Selleck is very big in NRA, and has a large gun collection (including military). Those are just the ones I know about--I'm sure there are more.

Actually, It wouldn't surprise me if Peter Jackson was the ultimate buyer of this group.

#25 USMCR79

USMCR79
  • Members
    • Member ID: 248
  • 2,754 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 12:37 PM

Dan Ackroyd collects also....

Bill

Ken,

Actually, there are quite a few music and entertainment types who are active collectors of militaria. Peter Jackson (director of Lord of the Rings and King Kong) collects WW1 militaria. Danny Glover (Lethal Weapon) collects US Civil War militaria. Mel Torme (he died a few years back) used to collect Colt Single Actions (including the Army models), Sylvester Stallone collects knives (including military), Tom Selleck is very big in NRA, and has a large gun collection (including military). Those are just the ones I know about--I'm sure there are more.

Actually, It wouldn't surprise me if Peter Jackson was the ultimate buyer of this group.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users