Post Your ancestors’ Military Photographs

Austin R

Forgot to post this,

I'm not related by blood to McKinley, but my Great Great Grandfather's (the man with the sword) Grandson married his Great Grand Daughter.

Here is him during the Civil War

post-51120-1320552189.jpg

Some ancestor ! you Blue blood you, all the way to colonial america. Washington = Virginia= British North America, a question of course would be are you related to George W and the FFVs.

I don't believe so, that I've been able to determine thus far anyhow. He had a son, Captain John Rupell Russell who served as well - but I have no photo of him.

William is among the few Rev War veterans to have been re-interred at Arlington:

post-3976-1320552559.jpg

I don't believe so, that I've been able to determine thus far anyhow. He had a son, Captain John Rupell Russell who served as well - but I have no photo of him.

William is among the few Rev War veterans to have been re-interred at Arlington:

How bout the FFV, surely sir you are one.

Checked out my Uniforms of the American Revolution, a 1975 Macmillian color series book , in it it has among the descriptions of the color plates in the back of the book, order of battles from most of the campaigns, Order of battle Valley forge lists the command of the 13th virginia as ( RUSSELL ), while the 5th Virginia lists ( Parker ) these two as well as the 1st VA ( Hendricks ), 9th VA ( Matthews ) NO RELATION TO ME, LOL, Matthews is my last name, 6th VA ( Gibson ) and the German Regt ( Weltner ), a brigade all under the command the notable revolutionary war Personality, Virginia's Brigadier General Peter Muhlenberg,he was quite an interesting man and although muhlenberg was really from Pennsylvania not many know this but a lot of Germans settled in Northern Virginia in the 18th Century, who's settling there NOW in Northern Virginia ?

In any event Russell as Commander of the 13th VA would have fought it at the battles in New Jersey, and in Pennsylvania notably Brandywine and Germantown, Monmouth. One of the color figures in the uniform plates accualy depicts a soldier of the 13th Virgina at Valley forge, a wretched soldier he be, it would seem that at some later point Russell took over for Parker and lead the 5th VA, probably in July 1778, the book lists Josiah Parker in command of the 5th VA from April 1777 to that date of July 1778, pretty little cool book, some minor errors mostly typos as is the norm with ALL books on military subjects but a great research tool and a must in the library of all military historians and the students thereof.

My uncle Walter second from the right, 4th Marine Division after the battle of Iwo Jima. I've always found the assortment of uniforms being worn interesting. The flag hung in his basement until the day he went to guard the gate of heaven.

post-22-0-34156000-1402760426.jpg

I suppose probably so - have never investigated it.

Col. Wm Russell's father, LtCol Wm Russell (1720-1757) was born in Richmond and passed in Orange - making the latter, correct if wrong please, of the early Virginia militia. Prior to that all Russells originated from England, although LtCol Russell's father also died in Orange (1746).

In one other branch of my family were for a couple of generations some very early Virginia settlers mid-late 1600s, including one (name forgotten at the moment) who served as a high elected official of the colony. I'll look back for that...

Anyhow, I'm especially proud of the Russell lineage because my mother's maiden name was Russell - making the link very direct. The last record I have of a Russell residing in Virginia died there in 1928, so indeed our family has some sort of rather extensive bond to the colony and Commonwealth.

In any event Russell as Commander of the 13th VA would have fought it at the battles in New Jersey, and in Pennsylvania notably Brandywine and Germantown, Monmouth. One of the color figures in the uniform plates accualy depicts a soldier of the 13th Virgina at Valley forge, a wretched soldier he be, it would seem that at some later point Russell took over for Parker and lead the 5th VA, probably in July 1778, the book lists Josiah Parker in command of the 5th VA from April 1777 to that date of July 1778, pretty little cool book, some minor errors mostly typos as is the norm with ALL books on military subjects but a great research tool and a must in the library of all military historians and the students thereof.

I wonder what happened to Parker... it has been of interest to me how or why William was breveted to BGen, perhaps owing to the loss of Parker or his incapacity. I've given so much time to Vietnam, my era, that my Rev War resources have suffered.

My uncle Walter second from the right, 4th Marine Division after the battle of Iwo Jima. I've always found the assortment of uniforms being worn interesting. The flag hung in his basement until the day he went to guard the gate of heaven.

I keep such men, and all who fought the Asian theater, deeply in my heart every day.

I suppose probably so - have never investigated it.

Col. Wm Russell's father, LtCol Wm Russell (1720-1757) was born in Richmond and passed in Orange - making the latter, correct if wrong please, of the early Virginia militia. Prior to that all Russells originated from England, although LtCol Russell's father also died in Orange (1746).

In one other branch of my family were for a couple of generations some very early Virginia settlers mid-late 1600s, including one (name forgotten at the moment) who served as a high elected official of the colony. I'll look back for that...

Anyhow, I'm especially proud of the Russell lineage because my mother's maiden name was Russell - making the link very direct. The last record I have of a Russell residing in Virginia died there in 1928, so indeed our family has some sort of rather extensive bond to the colony and Commonwealth.

Russell is listed in the First Families of Virginia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Families_of_Virginia

canadian bacon

my grandfather harry f dugan the other photo is of him in 1990

post-45276-1320612125.jpg

howard smith m.m. (great uncle) ontario tank regiment he is the one on the far left

post-45276-1320612202.jpg

clifford smith d.f.c(great uncle) howard and clifford were twins clifford served with the rcaf and is standing in the middle of this photo

post-45276-1320612384.jpg

cheers michael

My Grandfather on my Dad's side, his father:

Stephen F. Kimball, Jr. (Under the "Rock Happy" nose art with the mustache)

1951, B-29 with the 93rd BS, 19th BG

Later on B-52s (First on right, standing) 346th BS, 99th BW.

My Dad:

Kevin H. Kimball

First as a Security Policeman, 1981 7362 MUNSS Volkel AB, Netherlands

later as a C-130 Loadmaster, 1990-ish 7th SOS Rhein-Main AB, Germany

My Grandfather on my Mom's side, her father.

Enno Borgers, Netherlands Army, around 1955

post-22-0-91204500-1402760681.jpg

post-22-0-15034900-1402760684.jpg

post-22-0-53006400-1402760686.jpg

post-22-0-61806900-1402760688.jpg

post-22-0-77750800-1402760690.jpg

post-22-0-68949800-1402760693.jpg

post-22-0-02002000-1402760696.jpg

post-22-0-04079000-1402760740.jpg

Thank you so much... I'll let my children and other family know, and will look into this more deeply.

Well it is understood that these people not so much intermarried ( you know like inbreeding, being civilized god fearing christians this was something that was avoided) but rather would have only those persons who where of their strata as husbands and wives, look at the Lee, Custis, Park, and Washington connections, as far as I know there was only one group of Washingtons in Virginia, they where very class consious, indeed as late as the 50s mothers in that area would ask their boy or girl when it was known to her that they had a new significant other, WHO ARE THEIR PEOPLE ? was the question put forth.

Image__230_.jpg Uncle Carl, James Carl Campbell, Co B 132nd ordinance maint. Bn 10th Armored Div (on the right with Bazooka)

Ordnance soldiers with a bazooka? That's not normal. Looking at the history of the 10th Armored, I wonder if that was takend during the Battle of the Bulge. The weather certainly looks right. Sounds like a story!

I've shown these before on another thread, but this is my father Clair W. Burket, Aviation Electrician, USMC Air Station Cherry Point, NC, Korean War.

Aircraft came back from the war shot to pieces, went in one end of a building, and came out the other looking like they came off the factory assembly line.

In the flightline photo, he is on one knee.

For the rest of the photos, please see:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...hl=Cherry+Point

Clair_Burket_send.jpg

Cherry_Point_flightline_2_send.jpg

15th Illinois Cav.

Thanks guy, it was important that we know this, as although there was no 15th U.S. cavalry ( Regular army )there was a 15th Cavalry from every state on the Union side.