Col. Daniel Lord Baldwin, III Medals Grouping US Army Airborne & Special Forc

warpath

That is actually a lieutenant colonel oak leaf embroidered on the shirt. If he was a major when he wore that shirt, the oak leaf would be gold. The oak leaf on this particular shirt seems to be silver, so this would be his lieutenant colonel shirt.

You Sir, are correct! Thanks for pointing this out and correcting my error.

Here is a shirt and beret of Baldwin's that I have in my collection. This dates from early 1962 while he was advising ARVN Rangers before heading over to the ARVN Airborne.

Jason

post-1616-1320636146.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Warpath,

My father was Daniel Lord Baldwin, I am his only son, and I understand you have his medals and other items, no problem.

You have them because his girlfriend at the time of his death pawned/sold all of his personal property instead of returning these items to his children.

I had to go to the pawnshop and pay for my own guns,,,, the other items such as the medals I never knew what happened to them.

So, when you decide to part with this property please consider me first.

Something else about the Baldwin Family

1. His father William Ray Baldwin was an Army Major, Ordinance, During WW1

2. His father William Ray Baldwin II was an Army Captain, Ordinance, During WW11, Critically wounded in France

3. His Son, Me, David Parke Baldwin was an Army Major, Infantry.

4. His Daughter, Elizabeth Lord Baldwin was an Army Captain, Quartermaster.

5. His nephew William (Bill) Ray Baldwin III was an Army Captain, Infantry/JAG

6. His nephew Stephen Kent Baldwin was an Army Captain, Air Defense Artillary

In the last Century there were five (5) Captain Baldwins stationed at Fort Bragg.

Four (4) in the 82nd Daniel, Bill, Steve, David, and Beth in COSCOM.

David P, Baldwin

1361 Garden Crest Cir

Raleigh NC 27609

[email protected]

Warpath,

My father was Daniel Lord Baldwin, I am his only son, and I understand you have his medals and other items, no problem.

You have them because his girlfriend at the time of his death pawned/sold all of his personal property instead of returning these items to his children.

I had to go to the pawnshop and pay for my own guns,,,, the other items such as the medals I never knew what happened to them.

So, when you decide to part with this property please consider me first.

Something else about the Baldwin Family

1. His father William Ray Baldwin was an Army Major, Ordinance, During WW1

2. His father William Ray Baldwin II was an Army Captain, Ordinance, During WW11, Critically wounded in France

3. His Son, Me, David Parke Baldwin was an Army Major, Infantry.

4. His Daughter, Elizabeth Lord Baldwin was an Army Captain, Quartermaster.

5. His nephew William (Bill) Ray Baldwin III was an Army Captain, Infantry/JAG

6. His nephew Stephen Kent Baldwin was an Army Captain, Air Defense Artillary

In the last Century there were five (5) Captain Baldwins stationed at Fort Bragg.

Four (4) in the 82nd Daniel, Bill, Steve, David, and Beth in COSCOM.

David P, Baldwin

1361 Garden Crest Cir

Raleigh NC 27609

[email protected]

First of all...thank you David for your service and your family's staunch tradition of serving our country. This is an incredible capsule of one man's service to his country. Your father was a helluva soldier as evidenced by the honors awarded to him.

Please accept my condolences.

Vic

• 2 years later...

Uniform shirt showing better detail of the embroidery work. The bracelet and badge. Obviously this material is from the period prior to his promotion to Lieutenant Colonel.

attachicon.gifMVC_008S.JPG

I have a few of COL Baldwins items, he was a tremendous warrior!

-RICH

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 3 years later...

On 11/6/2011 at 10:23 PM, jason_w said:

Here is a shirt and beret of Baldwin's that I have in my collection. This dates from early 1962 while he was advising ARVN Rangers before heading over to the ARVN Airborne.

Jason

@jason_w what a special HBT Utility shirt. I recently picked up a badged ripstop jungle jacket that belonged to Baldwin and seeing the Ranger tab above the ARVN Ranger patch on your earlier MAJ badged shirt helps explain a Ranger tab which sits above a MACV patch on the combat side (right sleeve) of my example. Originally I found it to be a bit curious and was not aware Baldwin spent time advising the ARVN Rangers. I do not know whether the tab alone would be authorized for wear on combat side under army regs given an advisory role but I know rules were often bent in this department and my memory is a but rusty.

LTC Baldwin  really had a next level career and I'm especially grateful @warpath has shared all this information.