knife US M3

coyote16

Hello world

I'm looking for a solution to restore my knife USM3

I'm looking for a vendor who could sell me a full leather handle, I would like to change the washers that are not in good condition! you have a solution or an address please

thank you

dsc04410.jpg

dsc04411.jpg

dsc04412.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Have a friend with a lathe? Leather turns quite easily, and that model of knife comes apart and goes together without difficulty. I could renew your handle in less than an hour.

http://www.wkfinetools.com/contrib/bSmalse...s/mChisels1.asp

Flatten a hardwood dowel as a mockup of the knife's tang. Place oversize leather washers (use vegetable-tanned leather and cut them yourself) on the dowel and glue them to each other (and not to the dowel) using superglue. Drill a couple blocks to glue the dowel to so as to mount it in the lathe. Turn, sand and shellac the leather handle, cut the dowel to dismount the new handle, and mount it on the knife.

To make centering the assembly on the lathe easy, drill 16th pilot holes all the way through the blocks before using a Forstner bit to drill the stopped dowel holes. The pilot holes are your lathe centers.

Use a quarter-inch wood chisel to cut the rectangular holes in the washers. There's an example below in my post on a sword restoration:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...howtopic=128124

While leather turns easily the originals were die cut stacked compressed and sanded/buffed no matter how good

someone may be at turning unless they are doing this full time I don't think they will be able to produce a convincing factory handle short of a CNC lathe.

hello friends

I did all the work! this is a bit complicated, but the result is quite

Please give me your opinion

thank you

dscn0453.jpg

dscn0454.jpg

While leather turns easily the originals were die cut stacked compressed and sanded/buffed no matter how good

someone may be at turning unless they are doing this full time I don't think they will be able to produce a convincing factory handle short of a CNC lathe.

Clamps and glue compress, and calipers duplicate dimensions in something as straightforward as a knife handle as well as a CNC setup. It only has to be good enough to please the eye, but an experienced hand with a wood lathe can equal the repeatability of the original handles, which weren't CNC-perfect either.

I did all the work! this is a bit complicated, but the result is quite

Please give me your opinion

Very nice. Now all it needs is some wear and tear to fair those curves in the handle.

Well done.

• 2 weeks later...
Have a friend with a lathe? Leather turns quite easily, and that model of knife comes apart and goes together without difficulty. I could renew your handle in less than an hour.

http://www.wkfinetools.com/contrib/bSmalse...s/mChisels1.asp

Flatten a hardwood dowel as a mockup of the knife's tang. Place oversize leather washers (use vegetable-tanned leather and cut them yourself) on the dowel and glue them to each other (and not to the dowel) using superglue. Drill a couple blocks to glue the dowel to so as to mount it in the lathe. Turn, sand and shellac the leather handle, cut the dowel to dismount the new handle, and mount it on the knife.

To make centering the assembly on the lathe easy, drill 16th pilot holes all the way through the blocks before using a Forstner bit to drill the stopped dowel holes. The pilot holes are your lathe centers.

Use a quarter-inch wood chisel to cut the rectangular holes in the washers. There's an example below in my post on a sword restoration:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...howtopic=128124

You say this knife comes apart quite easily. Could you show or explain how to remove the pommel?

Those turned out great Coyote! :thumbsup: I have to ask, how did you learn how to shape them so nicely on your first try? What method did you use to shape them? I'm about to try doing this to a MK2, and I'm pretty intimidated!

hello friends

The first knife was a bit complicated to achieve, to remove the knob of the silk must be very careful, take your time is really needed

I did not do photo restoration, it is not very complicated

I made a false grip has the dimension of the original.

I found the leather has the right thickness.

I traced and cut out the puck with a cutter.

and I stacked the washer on the wrong handle

to shape the handle a simple belt sander is needed, use the sandpaper end (120)

to make the cuts I used a dremel with a small grinding wheels, and I did finish with a cutting 3mm

this is simple

• 2 months later...

Honestly speaking I prefer to buy another junk M3 and recover original washers. It's quite difficult to properly age new leather. In pics my restoration job. Metal parts were only acid pickled and blued.

post-67-1331017365.jpg

post-67-1331017383.jpg

post-67-1331017457.jpg

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The knife makers during WW2 had some broaching machines made up to shape the handles. The link below is from Ka-Bar but one portion of the video shows one of the broaching machines in action. In case anyone may fine it interesting.