Some Hollywood helmets

gunbunny

Some of the best M1s used in the movies appear in M*A*S*H....the series. I have the complete boxed set and dip into it often. The helmets are usually fixed-bails with OD#3 straps. Whenever they take them off I make a point of looking at the liner details...again, usually WW2 vintage.

post-8022-1336463758.jpg

Correct! Well ID'd buddy. Don't know if you can tell from the picture, but this is not a real K Pot. Simply a lightweight airsoft replica mocked up to look like the reall thing. Pretty darn good actually, until you feel it or look inside!

Possum

Possum....did I win a cookie?

RDarby

Possum....did I win a cookie?

RDarby

I would offer you one, but think we are on different continents! If you're over in the UK, I'll happily buy you a beer and we can talk original junk :)

Some of the best M1s used in the movies appear in M*A*S*H....the series. I have the complete boxed set and dip into it often. The helmets are usually fixed-bails with OD#3 straps. Whenever they take them off I make a point of looking at the liner details...again, usually WW2 vintage.

Neat observation, Ian. I've never noticed that but I'll be watching for it now! I'm sure it was only a fluke and they probably just had the props stored somewhere, but WWII vintage helmets would be correct for the Korean War.

I always enjoyed that program, MASH. I know they took a lot of dramatic license, and it was anti-war, but it was still entertaining to me.

COMBAT tv series helmets, notice the rough recorking on these Hollywood props, possibly not even made of steel, probably lightweight plastic, the shells dont even have chin strap loops / bales

post-1885-1336596395.jpg

post-1885-1336596407.jpg

Darktrooper

The Captain America helmets, specifically the pre-becoming a Super-soldier. In the Making of featurette on the Bluray DVD, its a normal sized helmet, but they digitally shrunk Steve Rogers head so he wuld look like the small fry he was supposed to be.

COMBAT tv series helmets, notice the rough recorking on these Hollywood props, possibly not even made of steel, probably lightweight plastic, the shells dont even have chin strap loops / bales

I think you're correct with the photos you posted, BOLO. I've read by the second season of COMBAT they were using helmets (Hats) made of some type of plastic or styrofoam because the actors complained that real helmets weighed too much. Those are good stills showing the strange texture, and a good observation they don't even have chinstraps or bales.

Realism in WWII movies and TV mini-series are not perfect, but they've sure come a long way from the 60's. Even as a kid, it used to drive me crazy that the Germans used American M3 halftracks, and 'Dietrich' was their only nemesis in the entire desert week after week. Still, I never missed an episode.

I think you're correct with the photos you posted, BOLO. I've read by the second season of COMBAT they were using helmets (Hats) made of some type of plastic or styrofoam because the actors complained that real helmets weighed too much. Those are good stills showing the strange texture, and a good observation they don't even have chinstraps or bales.

Realism in WWII movies and TV mini-series are not perfect, but they've sure come a long way from the 60's. Even as a kid, it used to drive me crazy that the Germans used American M3 halftracks, and 'Dietrich' was their only nemesis in the entire desert week after week. Still, I never missed an episode.

Hey Harlan I loved your Rat Patrol reminisces. How about this gem, I had a lunch box and a couple of coloring books from this series way back in 1968 when I was a kid. :D

post-34986-1336625454.jpg

Hey Patches...what about the movie helmet in your avatar...the classic "Longest Day" image? Check out ok?! ;)

Ian, is this what you mean ? a full photo, then here it be, it looks ok, It looks to be a fixed bail and with a front seam, the shiny rim reveals a thin dark seam from what I can see, a nice Britch/Canadian wide mesh net as well.

post-34986-1336681471.jpg

A M17 helmet worn by the Navy Kid, and another of the Califorina National Guardsman Tanker played by Dezi Arnez in the movie BATAAN, did they have British type nets in 1941 in the Philippines ? :D

post-34986-1336681960.jpg

post-34986-1336681971.jpg

Ian, is this what you mean ? a full photo, then here it be, it looks ok, It looks to be a fixed bail and with a front seam, the shiny rim reveals a thin dark seam from what I can see, a nice Britch/Canadian wide mesh net as well.

That's the one. Looks bang-on! :thumbsup:

I was just begining to get a little iritated when I could not see this topic below where it has always been since it started, thinking that it was what pulled, what on earth for ? but as we see it has been pinned, and thats very good, good going :thumbsup:

I was just begining to get a little iritated when I could not see this topic below where it has always been since it started, thinking that it was what pulled, what on earth for ? but as we see it has been pinned, and thats very good, good going :thumbsup:

This seems to have become a pretty popular thread for a long period of time thus, I pinned it so that it could stay on top without shoving new helmet threads down each time someone posted here.

This seems to have become a pretty popular thread for a long period of time thus, I pinned it so that it could stay on top without shoving new helmet threads down each time someone posted here.

Very splended idea Bugme.

Here one from the 1968 movie Anzio, Helmets look okay, but not the wearing of the small Gold on Black Ranger tabs seen thoughout on the " Rangers". Any body reconize the Actor behind Bob Mitchum ? why thats Poppie, a charactor from Seinfeld, He was in 3 epiosodes, you know the Greek ( I think ) retaurant owner, this actors name is Reni Santoni.

post-34986-1336753738.jpg

I know that Josh Murray supplied 100 Fixed bales for the Pacific. A lot of the helmets for the Omaha scene in SPR were made of fibreglass. They look the part even from close up.

Rich

The majority of the helmets in the Omaha Scenes were genuine steel. Only stuntmen and for a couple scenes the actors had the resin/fiberglass helmets. I must say the actors were very good at wearing the steel helmets most of the time.

From one of my favorite movies: "Saints and Soldiers". For those who never saw this movie, the first thing they will notice is a non-combatant obviously acting as a combatant. When you see the movie, you'll understand why. Also notice, one of two 101st A/B troopers in the movie, and lookie there... no insignia on the side. The other A/B trooper in the movie had a 502nd insignia. When we see movies like this, it's good to see it portrayed the way it was. Not every A/B trooper had tactical markings on his helmet and a good many medics did in fact pick up weapons in self defense.

Saints_and_soldiers_1.jpg

carbinephalen
From one of my favorite movies: "Saints and Soldiers". For those who never saw this movie, the first thing they will notice is a non-combatant obviously acting as a combatant. When you see the movie, you'll understand why. Also notice, one of two 101st A/B troopers in the movie, and lookie there... no insignia on the side. The other A/B trooper in the movie had a 502nd insignia. When we see movies like this, it's good to see it portrayed the way it was. Not every A/B trooper had tactical markings on his helmet and a good many medics did in fact pick up weapons in self defense.

LOVE this movie Scott. One of the best and I can't give it a high enough review.

LOVE this movie Scott. One of the best and I can't give it a high enough review.

I couldn't agree more, it was a low budget movie that relied on reenactors for most of the combatants yet, this movie is right up there in quality and story line to SPR. Here's a scene from late in the movie, the Medic had lost his original helmet and now has gotten a new one. Here again is another one of the ways medics marked their helmets late in the war, a medic brassard and helmet net combo.

saints_and_soldiers_2.jpg

Excellent film, I loved the mix and match of the uniforms. If I am not mistaken I believe JMurray provided the helmets and had some photos that I saved of them but they are on another computer.

Excellent film, I loved the mix and match of the uniforms. If I am not mistaken I believe JMurray provided the helmets and had some photos that I saved of them but they are on another computer.

Your right, Josh did the helmets for Saints & Soldiers.

• 4 weeks later...

From the 1979 Movie Yanks, nice one, looks like the correct one for the Spring of 1944, a fixed bail with a British net, plus with a small Tech Sergeants rank painted on. From some other photos from the movie we see the M41 Field jacket is not worn, but rather the incorrect M43, bet ya they had the M2 carbines as well.

post-34986-1338950467.jpg

• 1 month later...