Some Hollywood helmets

gunbunny

Here a one in a different era, from the Sand Pebbles, PO 1st Class Holman and his M1917 Helmet, China 1927, but is this one real or as we can see perhaps a mock up one ? I wonder if all the Helmets used in the movie may have been real or made up facsilmiles.

post-34986-1336191003.jpg

Patches the answer is no! Emphatically no! I've watched this movie many times.....really enjoy it. I noticed that in the hands of the actors and particularly McQueens hands, you can see by the movement of the helmet that the helmet is too lite. It must be a plastic material. You can also see this in "The Longest Day" when the German soldiers guarding the railroad bridge hear something and one soldier takes his helmet off and places his ear to the railroad track to listen. He has his helmet in his left hand and has it resting on the ground. After he listens for a second or two he raises up and picks his helmet up with basically his thumb and index finger. Not impossible at all but when he does it it is effortless. The helmet has no weight. If I do this it takes a lot of effort. Back to the helmet McQueen has on. You can see what I'm talking about when the Gunboat attacks the Chinese at the boom. At one point he is putting the helmet on and it is clear the helmet has no heft to it.

Hollywood does this with many types of props....guns, helmets, luggage, etc.

Anyway good eye you have on this one.

Ronnie

Yes I would imagine as much, a mock up. They had a good sound effect though, remember when at the Battle of the Boom, Holman gets wacked across his Tin Hat by an full sword blow ? we here that CLANG or is it CLUNK as the blow hits his helmet :thumbsup:

Fibre glass/ plastic lookalikes are frequently used in the movies. I read somewhere that one well known movie star (can't recall which one!) was provided with just such a helmet because the original one he was given was apparently too hot, heavy and comfortable to wear during the hours of filming under lights on set! Just as well he wasn't drafted! :w00t:

Some of these were simply surplus helmets drafted into the Hollywood Military machine, others were made from fiberglass by prop departments and still others were M-1 helmet clones from other countries. To the average movie goer, perfection isn't needed, at least in the eye's of a director, however, when I see really bad props and costumes, it ruins the movie for me.

Thanks, that really was a serious question back in October when you answered. I just didn't see it until today.

Yes I would imagine as much, a mock up. They had a good sound effect though, remember when at the Battle of the Boom, Holman gets wacked across his Tin Hat by an full sword blow ? we here that CLANG or is it CLUNK as the blow hits his helmet :thumbsup:

Obviously when he gets whacked in the head.....that isn't plastic. It's like in scenes with fake guns then in close ups a real gun is entered into the scene.

Ronnie

Obviously when he gets whacked in the head.....that isn't plastic. It's like in scenes with fake guns then in close ups a real gun is entered into the scene.

Ronnie

You never know, the sword may have been a prop type. he really swinged hard at his head, the risk factor may have precluded the use of a real sword, I found a still from the said scene, If you enlarge it by clicking the zoom leval at the right bottom of your screens you will see that Holmam as he's hunched over right before the sword blow, that it appears his Tin Hat lacks that nob or nut on the top of the dome, unless it is a mock up metal one he put on for this scene and the sword was a less than steel one :lol:

post-34986-1336276310.jpg

You never know, the sword may have been a prop type. he really swinged hard at his head, the risk factor may have precluded the use of a real sword, I found a still from the said scene, If you enlarge it by clicking the zoom leval at the right bottom of your screens you will see that Holmam as he's hunched over right before the sword blow, that it appears his Tin Hat lacks that nob or nut on the top of the dome, unless it is a mock up metal one he put on for this scene and the sword was a less than steel one :lol:

You can also see when the photo is enlarged, a dent in the helmet. So I don't know if in this photo he has already struck the helmet and is withdrawing the sword or it's a dent from a previous take. I agree Patches.... I can't see the nut at the top of the helmet.

Ronnie

I know that Josh Murray supplied 100 Fixed bales for the Pacific. A lot of the helmets for the Omaha scene in SPR were made of fibreglass. They look the part even from close up.

Rich

2ndInf.Div.
I know that Josh Murray supplied 100 Fixed bales for the Pacific. A lot of the helmets for the Omaha scene in SPR were made of fibreglass. They look the part even from close up.

Rich

What about the Hawley's?

What about the Hawley's?

They weren't real Hawley's. I don't know if the studio made them or not. At least the studio tried to get it right and I appreciate that. Especially since so many war movies have been made with no effort at all to get the uniforms, helmets, gear, weapons, and even vehicles correct.

RD

2ndInf.Div.
They weren't real Hawley's. I don't know if the studio made them or not. At least the studio tried to get it right and I appreciate that. Especially since so many war movies have been made with no effort at all to get the uniforms, helmets, gear, weapons, and even vehicles correct.

RD

I figured they weren't. Using original Hawley's in a movie or for reenacting would make me cry :crying:

You can also see when the photo is enlarged, a dent in the helmet. So I don't know if in this photo he has already struck the helmet and is withdrawing the sword or it's a dent from a previous take. I agree Patches.... I can't see the nut at the top of the helmet.

Ronnie

Ronnie, here is the page with stage by stage stills of the Battle at the Boom, pretty cool, you can also click on the photo for differant views.

http://hokahey-littleworlds.blogspot.com/2...ver-battle.html

Staying with the M1917 Tin Hat, see the Images from two differant movies made around the same time, the Fighting 69th, and Sergeant York, it appears the the ones used in The Fighting 69th are mock ups while the ones used in Sergeant York are real.

post-34986-1336323852.jpg

post-34986-1336323862.jpg

RD

Alot of the Hawleys were made from plastic molds. They were on sale over here in England a few years ago before the show aired. Looked very good from a distance. I think Rob Lihani supplied some of his excellent repros for the main actors.

Rich

Actually got a few helmets from Hollywood movies and the like all ID'd to actors etc. Might post them up, if I sort some things out...

IMAG0051.jpg

As promised. The real thing worn by a real hollywood actor. I also owned the duplicate worn by the stunt double. Points if you can name the film and the actor!

2ndInf.Div.
IMAG0051.jpg

As promised. The real thing worn by a real hollywood actor. I also owned the duplicate worn by the stunt double. Points if you can name the film and the actor!

Although I haven't watched them entirely, I'm guessing Jarhead or Black Hawk Down.

IMAG0051.jpg

Orlando Bloom....Blackhawk Down!

RDarby

Some photos from movie Batle of Los Angeles, probably some type of commercial one size fits all plastic helmets, strange shape and terrible suspension and retention system (straps). They spend milion dollars on locations, vehicles, FX effects and do not provide main actor stars with realistic helmet and gear. It is bad detail you see on every poster, promotion photos end etc. As well notice empty body armor, and in movie you can also see gear marines never used. Just wonder why they hire military advisors for movies.

post-31-1319364885.jpg post-31-1319364894.jpg

The chinstrap on the ACH worn in this photo is made by OPS-CORE - I wear one on my ACH - great price of kit & and wish it was standard issue

Chris

Orlando Bloom....Blackhawk Down!

RDarby

Correct! Well ID'd buddy. Don't know if you can tell from the picture, but this is not a real K Pot. Simply a lightweight airsoft replica mocked up to look like the reall thing. Pretty darn good actually, until you feel it or look inside!

Possum