Some Hollywood helmets

gunbunny

And two from that WWII Twilght Zone, The Purple Testament, you know the one where that Dog Face Platoon Leader in the Philippines Campaign, Lt. Fitzgerald (William Reynolds), who can see death in his men's faces, the Co CO too he see's will die, CO played by Dick York.

post-34986-0-12376100-1453603591.jpg

Nice swivel loop. However, not sure Front Line Inf Officers painted or applied the metal version their ranks on their helmets in the Pacific, nor wore the Rank and Branch of Service on their collars on the line as this main character as well as Dick York does.

post-34986-0-23295900-1453603943.jpg

And a fixed loop with British net on who I believe is the Platoon Sergeant.

post-34986-0-23629000-1453604447.jpg

Figured I add this one too of Dick York on second thought, see the baubles on the collar of the Company Commander, hey two more pots in the background too, look legit with sewn straps, though cant tell what kind of loops they have.

Went to a small miliaria show today and found a beater rear seam swivel bail w/liner,no liner chin strap,missing the sweat band and suspension lace. Got home and took a look at it. Marked on the suspension webbing was the name Norman Fell.Mr.Fell was an actor who was in a few war movies,Pork Chop Hill,Sgt, Ryker and a couple more.The liner was taped with masking tape to hold the liner in tightly. The shell and liner have been together for a while.I purchased this from a well known prop supplier/military movie advisor. He made no mention or claim to its prior use.

I am not good w/computers and have not figured out the photo thing,but i'll try.

I know it's not Gregory Pecks lid,but it would be cool if it was from PCH.

Bob

Bob,

Not the best quality picture, but it was the best I could find on the Internet of Norman Fell in Pork Chop Hill. Hope your find is the same helmet.

post-12824-0-83034300-1453653725.jpg

post-34986-0-53356300-1454127474.jpgpost-34986-0-68411900-1454127485.jpg

Two images of helmets from a episode of Amazing Stories, Amazing Stories, a Steven Spielberg effort, for those old enough to remember, was this kind of supernatural TV series in the mid 80s, this one from 1986.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0511110/

There also was an WWII 8th AF episode about a B-17 Ball Turret Gunner.

post-34986-0-37438400-1454128471.jpg

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0511124/

Bob,

Not the best quality picture, but it was the best I could find on the Internet of Norman Fell in Pork Chop Hill. Hope your find is the same helmet.

Notice the blank adapter in Peck's carbine.

Ronnie

• 1 month later...

Watched this movie tonight.....first time I've seen this old Martin and Lewis Picture. Has some good shots of barracks, offices and a supply room. Also shows Lewis wearing an M1. In one shot he appears to have a net over a piece of Camo material. I blew the photo up to notice that. The second shot is the one I blew up to be able to see the net and what appears to be Camo underneath. Anyway here are a few shots of him.

Ronnie

post-7752-0-91275300-1458117394.jpeg

post-7752-0-59115300-1458117403.jpeg

post-7752-0-96698200-1458117411.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Some great mocked up graffiti covered/added paraphernalia helmets in Platoon with almost every character having different helmet art or some such which as we know happened in VN.

Charlie Sheens

One thing not mentioned about the helmet graffiti in Platoon - it was done by each individual actor (not the costume or prop departments) at the insistence of Oliver Stone and Dale Dye...it was to give the actor's helmets an "authentic feel." There are also some anachronistic appearances of "cat eye" bands in some scenes of the film...for those who play close attention to those things...plus some ALICE suspenders make a sneaky appearance...being worn by (of all people) the technical adviser Dale Dye...

In reference to Johnny Depp's helmet:

post-3045-0-47458900-1463180160.jpg

Sherilyn was the name of Johnny Depp's current girlfriend at the time of filming...actress Sherilyn Fenn.

And... I cannot believe this infamous one has not been posted yet:

post-3045-0-55156700-1463180166.jpg

Linedoggie

Interestingly, Major Houlihan's helmet was a modified liner with bails and chinstraps added; probably due to all the stunts and fatigue during wear.

Funny enough you can see her microphone on the field jacket

Was the ball turret episode the one where the cartoonist gunner draws cartoon wheels to land on? Also, what are you seeing in the Gregory Peck photo that you say is a blank adapter? I'm not seeing it. Is it at the muzzle?

That was me Sundance with the blank adapter. The adapter is in the barrel. The barrel has been tapped and the adapter screws into the barrel. The adapter has a smaller diameter hole in it than the muzzle of the rifle and therefore blocks enough gas to send the bolt back to recharge the weapon. It's not without it's faults though. You can see in many movies where the actors have to recharge their weapons after firing a shot or two. You can see a lot of that in the movie "Darby's Rangers."

Thanks.

Ronnie

• 1 month later...

Just picked this up from an estate sale, its a 3D pic where he winks at you as you walk by.

They had a John Wayne one too that sold

(sorry I know I should know who he is, but I don't so a little help here please!)

IMG_3249.JPG

BILL THE PATCH

Yes sir Richard wordmark, looks like the movie from the Halls of Montezuma

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

post-1885-0-01918500-1466833508.jpg

Something I noticed years ago when I watched this. Peck if you notice does not have the protective panels in his flak jacket for most of the film, he seems to have a non altered one at the very start of the action while still in bunkers before being trucked up, once the main action starts, he has one where they are removed, no doubt opening up a few choice seams, and pulling them out and sewing the seams up again. too heavy I suppose, but the other characters have them complete.

Here's the GOOGLE image search page to see the other characters and their flak jackets.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pork+chop+hill+movie&biw=1366&bih=634&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwjbyfOrxsTNAhUB2R4KHSWqB7gQ_AUIBygC

post-1885-0-01918500-1466833508.jpg

Something I noticed years ago when I watched this. Peck if you notice does not have the protective panels in his flak jacket for most of the film, he seems to have a non altered one at the very start of the action while still in bunkers before being trucked up, once the main action starts, he has one where they are removed, no doubt opening up a few choice seams, and pulling them out and sewing the seams up again. too heavy I suppose, but the other characters have them complete.

Here's the GOOGLE image search page to see the other characters and their flak jackets.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pork+chop+hill+movie&biw=1366&bih=634&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwjbyfOrxsTNAhUB2R4KHSWqB7gQ_AUIBygC

are those grenades molded and a single piece?

• 2 weeks later...

Was watching Escape from the Planet of the Apes last night, and noticed in the beginning, all of the Marines are wearing 1st pattern helmet covers.

Most of the helmets appear to be swivel loop (there could be a fixed loop or two in the mix), with sewn straps. More than likely, these were all surplus in a prop department, and are now sought after by collectors. Funny when you think about it.

Movie was released in 1971, however takes place in 1973.

post-29885-0-80808000-1467825854.jpg

post-29885-0-41595500-1467825860.jpg

post-29885-0-58156800-1467825864.jpg