Huge U.S.S Chicago/U.S.S Bowditch grouping

Yancy Irwin

Im sure you can all imagine being militaria collectors how happy i was when i was given my grandfathers WWII items.I grew up in the same house my grandfather bought in 1954 so there was allways lots of cool old stuff in the basement attics etc i remember my dad showing me this stuff once when i was about 13-my grandfather joined the navy at the age of 16 in 1929-he served on the U.S.S Chicago from 1929-1935 then left the navy for a few years (ill get to that story later!) During WWII he served on the U.S.S Bowditch and saw action in Leyte Gulf and Okinawa.He then served during Korea and later retired in 1965-He kept 2 trunks full of stuff all from pre war and wartime service (there are some postwar photos) Ill let the pictures do the talking ,you guys know what your looking at.there are some cool things in the trucks! this is going to be a very pic heavy thread!

my grandfather William "Moose" Irwin at age 16 in 1929-

post-3084-1319122209.jpg

15-this one is a bit of a mystery-my dad told me before he died that my grandfather brought got this after the battle at leyte gulf-but his dad was also in WWI and some of his things-(binoculars/documents/photos) were in the trunk so im not sure if this was my great grandfathers from WWI or if my grandfather did get this after leyte?

post-3084-1319123406.jpg

18 thats it for now! thats one trunk,the other has more cool stuff plus tons of photos and documents ,ill post that when i have the time!

post-3084-1319123585.jpg

13-not sure what this is?

That's a ship's commissioning pennant. :thumbsup:

This is a super group!!! :thumbsup:

thanks Dave ! the best stuff is still to come!

here is the cover of my grandfathers photo album-it and all the pages are loose but i think its mostly there-all the photos in it are from the U.S.S Chicago from 1929-1935-my grandfather wrote all the places hes been in ink on the cover!

post-3084-1319135199.jpg