What do i have? U.S.M.C. Knife

Rick35ovi

Found this kife in a box of junk at a flea market and bought it for 5 bucks so no huge lost if it is a fake, but i cannot find anything anywhere that looks like it so i thought i might try and ask the experts here. It is marked U.S.M.C. is about 8 1/4" inches long with the blade being 4" and looks to be stainless or chrome, a magnet sticks to it. no other markings are on it at all and the sheath looks to be homemade any info would be greatly appreciated! hopefully this link works!

http://s898.photobucket.com/albums/ac182/r...i/usmc%20knife/

let me know if the link doesn't work

Found this kife in a box of junk at a flea market and bought it for 5 bucks so no huge lost if it is a fake, but i cannot find anything anywhere that looks like it so i thought i might try and ask the experts here. It is marked U.S.M.C. is about 8 1/4" inches long with the blade being 4" and looks to be stainless or chrome, a magnet sticks to it. no other markings are on it at all and the sheath looks to be homemade any info would be greatly appreciated! hopefully this link works!

http://s898.photobucket.com/albums/ac182/r...i/usmc%20knife/

let me know if the link doesn't work

Go buy a lottery ticket. You hit the jackpot on this one USMC Paratrooper knife. Big $$$$.

There is an article at http://www.knife-expert.com/usmc42-1.txt and it says,

"The Camillus Marine paratrooper knives were made only in prototype, and I

doubt any still exist. The Western parachutist knife is the only version

that was manufactured, as far as I know now, and it was a PX knife,

probably never issued -- but I can't be certain it wasn't.]"

post-75-1258555805.jpg

Forget the lottery ticket. You already won.

:thumbsup:

From what I've heard is these knives were located at the Marines Jump school and were meant to be turned back in at the end of training. So not a lot originally made and relatively few of those that made it into the market place.

You guy's have to be kidding me!! i am at work now and cant look any info because they are all blocked!! (weapons)( :disgust:

You guy's have to be kidding me!! i am at work now and cant look any info because they are all blocked!! (weapons)( :disgust:

Here's an ebay sale a few years ago:

paraknife1.jpg

paraknife3.jpg

paraknife2.jpg

I am far from an expert on edged weapons, but I don't believe it is military. Maybe a commercial piece?

Austin,

Remind me not to take you with me to shop for US military knives! :lol:

I was hoping this would be the place to find out some info but WOW!! much more than i expected!! Thanks to you all!! i am in shock and still trying to figure out more questions to ask :excl: Where do i turn next?

There's a lot to be said about the integrity of the collectors on this site. We all appreciate a good find, and honest appraisals. Rick35 definitly came to the right site. This is why I love these threads. SKIP

I was hoping this would be the place to find out some info but WOW!! much more than i expected!! Thanks to you all!! i am in shock and still trying to figure out more questions to ask :excl: Where do i turn next?

First, relax and take deep breaths, you have made a great find and caused a lot people to become very envious. Second, decide if you are going to keep it or sell it. And third, if you do decide to sell it, put it in a safe place (with a tag on it), and wait a couple of days. You'll start to think clearly after letting your head clear.

By the way, you might get a bunch of offers to buy the knife; see my third point above.

I'd wish you good luck, but it seems you have plenty of that right now.

Looking around the internet these things seem to be rare as hensteeth, does anyone have any info about the sheath? it looks dead on the originals i have seen but this one is vinyl with a leather closure so i am thinking it is home made but well done. I bought this because i am a former Marine and it caught my eye. I do collect mostly firearms but this one takes the cake! I have been lurking around here for a long time reading everyones stories and i am glad i could contribute to one!! Just wish this thing could talk!!

Is there anyone or anything i need to do to authenticate this knife? Thanks again for everyones help!!

Get some super clear pictures of the markings on the blade. The shape and size of the knife (blade and handle) all seem legitimate, but the markings will tell the tale. Post the markings here and get opinions, but everything else seems correct.

Looking around the internet these things seem to be rare as hensteeth, does anyone have any info about the sheath? it looks dead on the originals i have seen but this one is vinyl with a leather closure so i am thinking it is home made but well done. I bought this because i am a former Marine and it caught my eye. I do collect mostly firearms but this one takes the cake! I have been lurking around here for a long time reading everyones stories and i am glad i could contribute to one!! Just wish this thing could talk!!

Is there anyone or anything i need to do to authenticate this knife? Thanks again for everyones help!!

From what I have seen (from three examples I have personally handled) concerning the sheaths there were two types.One as shown in the post by FS that had the embossed front and the other being a smooth non embossed sheath.Both are typical of Western Cutlery sheaths being sewn and rivited.I can only speculate on the embossed one as being one of the commercial pre-war type sheaths used as they were in stock at the time.

I recall a picture of a rigger made canvas sheath also but dont remeber where I saw it on line.

First, relax and take deep breaths, you have made a great find and caused a lot people to become very envious. Second, decide if you are going to keep it or sell it. And third, if you do decide to sell it, put it in a safe place (with a tag on it), and wait a couple of days. You'll start to think clearly after letting your head clear.

By the way, you might get a bunch of offers to buy the knife; see my third point above.

I'd wish you good luck, but it seems you have plenty of that right now.[/

You hit the jackpot....I have the jackpot....to collect your jackpot please send me a PM.

If you wish to cash in.

Thanks.

Ronnie