WW2 AAF 407th BS pilot grouping

manayunkman

I spotted this gentleman sitting on his front porch several years back. I stopped to talk to him and found out he was a pilot of a B-17 and had his squadron patch. So in we went to the basement where the stuff was sitting getting moldy in a workbench drawer. Very damp in Pennsylvania. He told me that they flew B-17's that had a radar so they could bomb through clouds. You can see the dome in the photo. They replaced the ball turret and it looks like an overextended dome. The map, compass and saw were in a plastic container that fell to pieces once it was touched. All the patches were his. All his uniforms and jacket were destroyed by mold and mildew. They had been thrown out long before I showed up that fateful Saturday morning.

I hope you guys enjoy and I appreciate all comments

M

post-51189-1318983431.jpg

post-51189-1318983455.jpg

post-51189-1318983484.jpg

Patchcollector
I spotted this gentleman sitting on his front porch several years back. I stopped to talk to him and found out he was a pilot of a B-17 and had his squadron patch. So in we went to the basement where the stuff was sitting getting moldy in a workbench drawer. Very damp in Pennsylvania. He told me that they flew B-17's that had a radar so they could bomb through clouds. You can see the dome in the photo. They replaced the ball turret and it looks like an overextended dome. The map, compass and saw were in a plastic container that fell to pieces once it was touched. All the patches were his. All his uniforms and jacket were destroyed by mold and mildew. They had been thrown out long before I showed up that fateful Saturday morning.

I hope you guys enjoy and I appreciate all comments

M

Great stuff! :thumbsup: I am so glad that some of his things were saved!It makes you wonder what else is out there,just rotting away...

Johnny Signor

The bombing through clouds radar was nicknamed "mickey" , I don't recall the "Official" name for it , nice find , such a shame about his jacket etc being messed up !

The cartoon guy on the patch is "Alley Oop" he was on all thier squadron's patches .

Johnny

The bombing through clouds radar was nicknamed "mickey" , I don't recall the "Official" name for it , nice find , such a shame about his jacket etc being messed up !

The cartoon guy on the patch is "Alley Oop" he was on all thier squadron's patches .

Johnny

The official name for the "Mickey" RADAR was H2X.

MW

• 7 years later...
  • 1 year later...