8 replies to this topic

#1 tbirdismypride

tbirdismypride
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,973
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 04:43 AM

Hi Guys,
Its been a while since I posted anything but I have a question. Yesterday I saw a soldier in uniform with the SC National Guard ( My home state) and as he was passing I saw a tab over the SCNG patch which said Governors Twenty on it. I got a real quick look at his rank which was I think a master sergeant. What Does this tab mean?

#2 atb

atb
  • Members
    • Member ID: 943
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 05:02 AM

I think it has something to do with individual or team marksmanship.

#3 NorBn

NorBn
  • Members
    • Member ID: 999
  • 588 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 05:55 AM

From Wikipedia:
Governor's Twenty Tab
A state level award, awarded to the top 20 shooters in a state. Each year eight are awarded for Rifle, eight are awarded for pistol, two are awarded for Sniper, and two are awarded for Machine gun. Participants might compete against other soldiers and airmen who have already received the award, so there might only be one or two new recipients each year. This tab is also worn above a state level honor guard tab.
Here's the link:
http://en.wikipedia....(United_States)

Edited by NorBn, 15 October 2011 - 05:56 AM.

#4 90thDivHistory

90thDivHistory
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,231
  • 415 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 07:27 AM

From Wikipedia:
Governor's Twenty Tab
A state level award, awarded to the top 20 shooters in a state. Each year eight are awarded for Rifle, eight are awarded for pistol, two are awarded for Sniper, and two are awarded for Machine gun. Participants might compete against other soldiers and airmen who have already received the award, so there might only be one or two new recipients each year. This tab is also worn above a state level honor guard tab.
Here's the link:

That is exactly what we were told by Maj. Gen. Furlow, former CO for the 36th Div., He has this tab on his uniform that is on display at the Military Museum of Fort Worth. I had never heard of it prior to him bringing in his uniform for display. Interesting to know that it is for all states, I thought it was just for Texas.
Respectfully,
Tyler Alberts

#5 tbirdismypride

tbirdismypride
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,973
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 05:54 AM

Very good information and thanks for the link!!

#6 F-89J

F-89J
  • Members
    • Member ID: 43,694
  • 112 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 08:24 PM

From Wikipedia:
Governor's Twenty Tab
Here's the link:

Wiki gives the impression that this was a program for all states, not true. The National Guard of various states had their own award programs, Governors 10, 12, 20 etc, and recognition (shoulder tabs, patches, badges, medals).
Minnesota National Guard awarded a "Governors Ten" badge in both Rifle & Pistol. ANG recipients wore the badge on the left breast pocket flap below the ribbons on the class A uniform.

#7 Steverino

Steverino
  • Recruits
    • Member ID: 153,057
  • 987 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 01:38 PM

Wiki gives the impression that this was a program for all states, not true. The National Guard of various states had their own award programs, Governors 10, 12, 20 etc, and recognition (shoulder tabs, patches, badges, medals).
Minnesota National Guard awarded a "Governors Ten" badge in both Rifle & Pistol. ANG recipients wore the badge on the left breast pocket flap below the ribbons on the class A uniform.

In addtition to the great info provided by F-89J, we have discovered an additional "confusion factor" related to the various Governor's Twenty tabs. There are Governor's Twenty tabs for National Guard units that decide to participate (as previously discussed), but also Governor's Twenty tabs for civilian police departments where the competitions are sponsored by the NRA. At this point, we can find no source of reliable information regarding the breadth and scope of Governor's Twenty tabs, regardless of whether they are NG or civilian police competitions.

There are embroidered on twill (ME) Governor's Twenty tabs in various color combinations that we know are worn by some NGs. There are also fully embroidered (CE) Governor's Twenty tabs in various color combinations that we think are for the civilian competitions. If anyone on the forum or elsewhere can provide the "executive summary" for the various Governor's Twenty tabs, it would be much appreciated.

Patch Johnson

#8 P-E

P-E
  • Members
    • Member ID: 8,985
  • 685 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 08:43 AM

Here's the one I've in my collection :

Posted Image

Miss me this one in desert / tan color ! :pinch:

#9 F-89J

F-89J
  • Members
    • Member ID: 43,694
  • 112 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 09:00 PM

A cloth patch in OD with a black border with an M-16 and "Governor's Ten" (approx 1" X 4") was worn on the fatigues

Attached Images

• 000_0639_1.JPG

Edited by F-89J, 18 November 2011 - 09:04 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

In Memory of Co-Founder GREG MILLS ROBINSON, a.k.a. "Marine-KaBar"
(February 17, 1949 - March 5, 2011)