8 replies to this topic

#1 pony soldier

pony soldier
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,046
  • 93 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 08:41 PM

Gentlemen:

I am a new member and my current pursuit is the M1913 Patton in all of its aspects. One area concerns the knives made from them for troop use in WW2. As I know at this time we have two major contriburtors, Anderson in Glendale, CA and the San Antonio Iron Works models. Knifecrafters in PA also made knives but I have yet to find one made from a Patton blade, all I have seen are from CW period swords. Does anyone know of other makers or anything about the history of the San Antonio blades.

Thanks
Pony Soldier

#2 Greg Robinson

Greg Robinson

Deceased Forum Co-Founder

• IN MEMORIAM
    • Member ID: 4
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 03:00 AM

I have a WW2 custom made knife using a Patton sabre blade. It has a curved leather wrapped handle and leather sheath. I'll try to take some pics and post them.

Greg

#3 Greg Robinson

Greg Robinson

• IN MEMORIAM
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 03:58 AM

I have a WW2 custom made knife using a Patton sabre blade. It has a curved leather wrapped handle and leather sheath. I'll try to take some pics and post them.

Greg

Named to a chaplain in the Navy Reserve. Not sure why he felt the need for such a weapon but he wasn't shy about marking his name all over it. And judging by the markings he wasn't the original owner so maybe it was a souviner he picked up during the war. Whoever was the owner, it's a unique piece and the only one of these I've seen.

Greg

Attached Images

• MVC_121S.JPG
  • MVC_122S.JPG

#4 Varangian

Varangian
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,047
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 06:24 AM

I track M1913 serial numbers, and have a dozen knives recorded made from the handle section with the serial numbers intact.

All but two are Anderson or SAIW knives; one was in J. Bruce Voyles Auction 23, 17 Jun 04, and the other was on an Ebay auction last August.

While apparently uncommon, custom knives made from M1913 blades do exist. Though I personally harbor a suspicion that at least some of these are re-handled/customized Anderson/SAIW knives...

#5 gunbarrel

gunbarrel
  • Members
    • Member ID: 70
  • 6,314 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 06:49 AM

Named to a chaplain in the Navy Reserve. Not sure why he felt the need for such a weapon but he wasn't shy about marking his name all over it. And judging by the markings he wasn't the original owner so maybe it was a souviner he picked up during the war. Whoever was the owner, it's a unique piece and the only one of these I've seen.

Greg,

I believe that your knife was made by Knife Crafters, of Philadelphia. Interestingly, I'm having a discussion with Bernard Levine about this same subject in one of his forums:

http://www.bladeforu...ad.php?t=513127

I just wrote to Bill Wright for clarification and copied Bernard Levine. I hope to have a definite answer soon.

#6 Greg Robinson

Greg Robinson

• IN MEMORIAM
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 08:21 AM

Greg,

I believe that your knife was made by Knife Crafters, of Philadelphia. Interestingly, I'm having a discussion with Bernard Levine about this same subject in one of his forums:

http://www.bladeforu...ad.php?t=513127

I just wrote to Bill Wright for clarification and copied Bernard Levine. I hope to have a definite answer soon.

I bought the knife a few years ago from a Canadien dealer who said he found it in upstate New York at an antique store.

Greg

#7 robinb

robinb

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 61
  • 5,153 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 08:39 AM

MVC_146S.JPG Here are my two Andersons.

#8 robinb

robinb

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 61
  • 5,153 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 08:41 AM

And one like Gregs. I got this one 15 years ago at an Oregon gun show. It was named on the back of the scabbard, but it has been rubbed out.
MVC_147S.JPG

#9 pony soldier

pony soldier
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,046
  • 93 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 08:08 PM

I track M1913 serial numbers, and have a dozen knives recorded made from the handle section with the serial numbers intact.

All but two are Anderson or SAIW knives; one was in J. Bruce Voyles Auction 23, 17 Jun 04, and the other was on an Ebay auction last August.

While apparently uncommon, custom knives made from M1913 blades do exist. Though I personally harbor a suspicion that at least some of these are re-handled/customized Anderson/SAIW knives...

Sounds like we are both chasing serial numbers. To date Ebay has proven a good source for items both on knives and sabers. On the Knifecrafter models I have not yet found one made with a Springfield serial number and date. A recent post here on the Forum was titled as a "recent find of two knuckle knives". One of those pictured was a 1914 Springfield Patton wedded to an aluminum knuckle handle, serial number 11228. If one can locate enough serial numbers a great deal of information can be gleaned from the extensions of them. Always looking to gather more data for their study.
Pony Soldier

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users