#2 Allan H.

Allan H.
  • Members
    • Member ID: 151
  • 5,758 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 05:09 PM

look
http://cgi.ebay.de/M...1QQcmdZViewItem

Tiffany should SUE! That piece of garbage looks like it was made yesterday! The ribbon is terrible! I am willing to bet the other MOH went out the back door of HLI!

Allan

#3 KASTAUFFER

KASTAUFFER

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 105
  • 12,494 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 07:46 PM

As they say in Deutchland ..... that Tiffany Cross is Scheisse!!!!! Allan is correct in his assessment.

Kurt

Edited by KASTAUFFER, 22 November 2007 - 07:47 PM.

#4 shrapneldude

shrapneldude
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,424
  • 8,157 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 08:30 PM

Been seeing a lot of these pop up lately on foreign eBay sites, etc. I think the world's supply of Lordship "back door" pieces is about exhausted. There's a company in Australia we discussed in another topic that is selling, if not manufacturing "reproductions" of the MOH, specifically Navy models (presumably because they're easier to do -- ribbon is easy, and just stamp out a few hundred planchets at a time -- no enamel work) and Tiffany Cross MOH copies.

I've even see some of the planchets on eBay here in the US listed under "Unusual Navy Medal" and so on...decent copies, but not perfect.

The key piece of the Tiffany cross is the "VALOR" or "VALOUR" bar on the ribbon bar which none of these overseas guys seems to be making.

#5 shrapneldude

shrapneldude
  • Members
  • 8,157 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 08:36 PM

Pretty sure this is the same deal here.

#6 bobgee

bobgee

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 503
  • 6,198 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 06:11 AM

Pure Garbage!
Bobgee

#7 MWalsh

MWalsh
  • Members
    • Member ID: 440
  • 5,730 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 08:12 AM

Pure garbage, true, but for what the chances are of ever finding an original one for sale, and then being able to afford it, it is a decent "filler" piece to show and give an idea at least of what the oringal was like. Beats a picture for a display! Too bad a nicely struck or minted one could not be done right here in the USA, but we all know the story behind that http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/crying.gif

#8 4STARCHRIS

4STARCHRIS
  • Members
    • Member ID: 387
  • 2,645 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 09:58 AM

Tif_moh_grp_44.jpg

Here is a great Tiffany MOH. This is not a copy. It is original and in my possssion. The Tiffany Cross is a great and beautiful MOH that the Navy had instituted. I am sorry it was short lived.
4starchris

Edited by 4STARCHRIS, 23 November 2007 - 10:03 AM.

#9 GERMAN-PATCH-HUNTER

GERMAN-PATCH-HUNTER

BANNED

• Banned
    • Member ID: 391
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 01:35 PM

the seller wrote in his description he had found the cross only the ribbon and tag has he make!!
i think garth has posted a great tiffany cross in the newest found section on the one dollar thread
regards

#10 LTGSANCHEZ

LTGSANCHEZ
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,685
  • 477 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 04:28 PM

That medal looks like someone took a $%& wrapped it in gold foil and stuck a ribbon on it. Amazing what people will bid on.

Now when German eBay has an army MOH and is a bit older than that one, let me know!

Edited by LTGSANCHEZ, 23 November 2007 - 04:30 PM.

#11 shrapneldude

shrapneldude
  • Members
  • 8,157 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 06:37 PM

Easy fellas! The planchet isn't PURE garbage...it's not pretty, but hell, it's as close as your average collector will ever come to owning a real Tiffany Cross! It's like the Brevet Medal copies...some of them look like gawdy junk out of a costume jewelry bin...but try finding a real one!

Anyhow, the pictures I posted are much like the ones you'll see for sale in Europe and Australia. They seem to be everywhere.

It's easy to see how an American collector could see a blurry photo on ebay that says "old navy medal cross" or something to that effect, and take a chance that it may be the real deal and someone just doesn't know...right?

Well, I guess I got had...but what the hell, it fills a gap in the collection.

#12 4STARCHRIS

4STARCHRIS
  • Members
  • 2,645 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 06:54 PM

Easy fellas! The planchet isn't PURE garbage...it's not pretty, but hell, it's as close as your average collector will ever come to owning a real Tiffany Cross! It's like the Brevet Medal copies...some of them look like gawdy junk out of a costume jewelry bin...but try finding a real one!

Anyhow, the pictures I posted are much like the ones you'll see for sale in Europe and Australia. They seem to be everywhere.

It's easy to see how an American collector could see a blurry photo on ebay that says "old navy medal cross" or something to that effect, and take a chance that it may be the real deal and someone just doesn't know...right?

Well, I guess I got had...but what the hell, it fills a gap in the collection.

The only one that needs to be happy with the purchase is the person who bought it in my opinion. Like you said they are so hard to find even in a copied version. Best part about a sale is a buyer agrees with the price and the item(s). Are you happy with the purchase? That is all that matters. Not many would pay 3-4000 dollars for a real one.
4starchris

#13 shrapneldude

shrapneldude
  • Members
  • 8,157 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 07:08 PM

The only one that needs to be happy with the purchase is the person who bought it in my opinion. Like you said they are so hard to find even in a copied version. Best part about a sale is a buyer agrees with the price and the item(s). Are you happy with the purchase? That is all that matters. Not many would pay 3-4000 dollars for a real one.
4starchris

I'm happy with it. I was a tad disappointed when I started seeing these all over the internet world, and secretly clung to the hope that mine was original, put up for sale by an antique dealer who honestly didn't know what it was...but hey, at the end of the day, I have a "representative piece" in my collection which suits me just fine, I'm not out $5,000 or more, and I learned a thing or two.
Can I see the reverse on yours by chance? Never get tired of seeing stuff in your collection!! http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif

-Dan

#14 4STARCHRIS

4STARCHRIS
  • Members
  • 2,645 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 07:21 PM

I'm happy with it. I was a tad disappointed when I started seeing these all over the internet world, and secretly clung to the hope that mine was original, put up for sale by an antique dealer who honestly didn't know what it was...but hey, at the end of the day, I have a "representative piece" in my collection which suits me just fine, I'm not out $5,000 or more, and I learned a thing or two.
Can I see the reverse on yours by chance? Never get tired of seeing stuff in your collection!! http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif

-Dan

Dan, Then it was a good purchase. Thanks for the comment about my collection. Let me check and see if I have a pic of the reverse. if not I will take one tomorrow and post it.
chris

#15 KASTAUFFER

KASTAUFFER

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 105
  • 12,494 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 10:31 PM

One thing I wont do is spend my money on a repro , no matter what it represents . IMHO At the end of the day , you are better off spending $25 on something real, than on a repro.

Kurt

Edited by KASTAUFFER, 23 November 2007 - 10:31 PM.

#16 decwriter

decwriter
  • Members
    • Member ID: 634
  • 474 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 07:10 AM

Here are two real Tiffany Crosses (each with a different suspension ring). I photographed them a few years ago.

Randy

Two_Tiffany_Crosses.jpg Reverse_of_Tiffany_Cross.jpg pg]

Attached Images

• Reverse_of_Tiffany_Cross.jpg

#17 bobgee

bobgee

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 503
  • 6,198 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 07:15 AM

One thing I wont do is spend my money on a repro , no matter what it represents . IMHO At the end of the day , you are better off spending $25 on something real, than on a repro.

Kurt

Kurt...I agree with you.......about 99%. There are certain collectibles so rare that the chances of encountering one is likely impossible. I have a repro Brevet Medal, a decent strike, which I bought for what it was. Now having said that, considering a Brevet Medal to epitomize rarity, what else should a collector, me or anybody, be willing to accept as a copy "representative" piece in a collection? I think that's in the "eye of the beholder". Original is best, when you can get it!! http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif
Bob

#18 shrapneldude

shrapneldude
  • Members
  • 8,157 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 08:13 PM

Kurt...I agree with you.......about 99%. There are certain collectibles so rare that the chances of encountering one is likely impossible. I have a repro Brevet Medal, a decent strike, which I bought for what it was. Now having said that, considering a Brevet Medal to epitomize rarity, what else should a collector, me or anybody, be willing to accept as a copy "representative" piece in a collection? I think that's in the "eye of the beholder". Original is best, when you can get it!! http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif
Bob

Exactly. I wouldn't build a collection of Repro...but hell, the TC, Brevet medal, and some of the others are as rare as hen's teeth. I guess if you can't find a real one, you just go without, but for me, it's better than not having one! It's not like I have a pile of current strike Campaign Medals or anything and pass them off as a WWII collection. :lol:

I don't mind repro pieces on rare items, but it infuriates me to no end when they're passed off as the real thing!

#19 ADMIN

ADMIN

ADMINISTRATOR

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 1
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 06:46 PM

Forum members:

You are in the MEDALS & DECORATIONS "Reference Section". This area is where posts from the general Medals & Decorations "discussion section" (http://www.usmilitar.....?showforum=83) are moved for permanent retention and education about the history of the various U.S. medals and military decorations.

As time moves forward, some of these posts may have additional information added to them by the moderators of this section. We ask for your input as well, especially in the correction of any erroneous information that may have inadvertently be posted..

We encourage further comments about this post and its content. In order to do so, you will need to start a new post in the general Medals & Decorations "discussion section" (here: http://www.usmilitar.....?showforum=83). And, as needed, we will be pleased to move any new and / or valued information that is derived from your post (and subsequent comments) into this reference area as its own standing post.

Please be advised: posting and / or editing is restricted on this post to moderator's and forum staff.

Sincerely,
Chris / ADMIN

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users