WWI Flyer 96th Aero Squadron

Steve Brannan

Steve Brannan

Last summer I was in Charleston, SC in an Antique Shop and bought this nice old oil painting of WWI Pilot. Don't know his name but would sure like to figure out who he is. The antique owner told me it came in a shipment recently bought in England. From the frame and age of the oil, I would think it was painted circa 1919. It has a 96th Aero Squadron pin over the pocket. Can anyone identify all the robbons?

post-1848-1195676454.jpg

post-1848-1195676555.jpg

Last summer I was in Charleston, SC in an Antique Shop and bought this nice old oil painting of WWI Pilot. Don't know his name but would sure like to figure out who he is. The antique owner told me it came in a shipment recently bought in England. From the frame and age of the oil, I would think it was painted circa 1919. It has a 96th Aero Squadron pin over the pocket. Can anyone identify all the robbons?

post-1848-1195676454.jpg

post-1848-1195676555.jpg

Right off the top of my head, left to right it looks like a French Croix De Guerre, a French Verdun Medal, a U.S. Mexican Border Service Medal, and a WW1 Victory Medal.

Great painting by the way!

MW

Also it appears that one of the stars on the Victory ribbon is silver.

Yes, which I thought represented the SILVER CITATION (predecessor to the Silver Star)

The painting is not of Frank Luke, since he never served witht heh 96th Aero. I will check my files when I get back into my house. We should be able to figure out who this is. Great painting by the way. paul

Steve Brannan

There are Capt bars on his shoulder and the cap. I thought it might be Capt Summersett who was the CO during most of their combat time but his granddaughter says no. The 96th was a Bomber Squadron and had hard luck. They lost almost the entire squadron early in the War when they mistakenly landed at a German air base and were captured. This guy could have been a 1st Lt during the War but promoted to Capt after the War ended. I tried to attach a photo of Capt Summersett but couldn't get it to attach.

post-1848-1195843936.jpg