• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Nate

Nate
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 54,496
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:24 PM

Bought a M-1950 hexagonal squad tent off a friend for 60 bucks. Its dated 1951. The tent is never been used and is missing some of the "critical components" to set it up...like the center pole, stakes and lines.

I have some questions I hope you guys can answer. And please give me any or all info you know or heard about this tent.
1. where these tents ever used in korea or possably vietnam? (These tents are still pretty common on the surplus market which makes me wonder if they had any practical use, or do they have some flaw that makes them not well suited for in or behind the battlefield)
2. Anyone know where I can pick up the period center pole, aluminum stakes, and hemp lines for it? (know any surplus connections or repo made parts?)
3. Is there a military publication for this tent or military tents in general I could referance?

These questions sound extremely dumb, and I apologize, but I dont know the first thing about military tentage.

Here is a pic of the tag in the tent bag...
http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss300/njkak47/my%20room/103_0986-1.jpg

#2 El Bibliotecario

El Bibliotecario
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,215
  • 856 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:42 PM

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I amuse myself by collecting dumb internet posts, and your query isn't even in the running for dumb.

For what you paid, I'd say your tent was a good deal, in that you'd pay at least that for a commercial tent of the same size which probably wouldn'y be of comparible quality. That statement is predicated on whether you need a tent--if you live in downtown Manhatten, that's a different story.

I'm sure there was a manual for your tent--the army has manuals for everything--but since your tent is obsolete, good luck finding it. My only encounter with your tent was in the mid-70s; the supply sergeant of my unit had a tent like yours--*laff*--but it was his personally owned tent. The comparable organizational tents were all GP smalls.

I don't know if these tents were used in Korea or Vietnam. My guess is maybe Korea, by REMFs, or as warming tents for line troopies, but my personal Korea experience was during the quonset hut era. As for Vietnam, I'd speculate those in forward areas who valued their lives didn't sleep in tents and that those in rear areas had better accomodations. I hope someone more knowledgable than moi will comment

#3 patches

patches
  • Members
    • Member ID: 34,986
  • 11,970 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 10:47 PM

Bought a M-1950 hexagonal squad tent off a friend for 60 bucks. Its dated 1951. The tent is never been used and is missing some of the "critical components" to set it up...like the center pole, stakes and lines.

I have some questions I hope you guys can answer. And please give me any or all info you know or heard about this tent.
1. where these tents ever used in korea or possably vietnam? (These tents are still pretty common on the surplus market which makes me wonder if they had any practical use, or do they have some flaw that makes them not well suited for in or behind the battlefield)
2. Anyone know where I can pick up the period center pole, aluminum stakes, and hemp lines for it? (know any surplus connections or repo made parts?)
3. Is there a military publication for this tent or military tents in general I could referance?

These questions sound extremely dumb, and I apologize, but I dont know the first thing about military tentage.

Here is a pic of the tag in the tent bag...
http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss300/njkak47/my%20room/103_0986-1.jpg

From the diagram on the tag it looks like a 10 man tent of the type that we used in Alaska. that stove drawing looks like the yukon stove that was used. This was in the very early 80s when I was stationed there and it would seem to me that this 1951 dated tent would have the standard tent used from that time up into the time at least when I was in Alaska. In alaska these tents where a main piece of equipment and would be carried out in the field in a toboggan like sled called an ahkio, in this ahkio which would be towed behide heavy duty snowmobiles would also be ammo, C-rations pioneer tools and other sundry items to include the yukon stove and gas for it MO-GAS the standard gasoline for vehicles. Most of the time these ahkio's would be choppered out and then hook up with the snowmobiles which drove on there own to where ever we where training or on the chinnoks the whole thing slingloaded, or better still put onboard C 130s.

These tents at least in the Infantry,( the 4/9 Inf,1/60 Inf and the 4/23 Inf, to include E troop 1/1 cav possibily the combat engineer company of the 172nd Inf brigade in alaska) would only be set up in periods of static perimiter defense or in the admin period only, the majority of times we slept outside near our fighting positions in our sleeping bags if it was a temporary position and we would be called upon to move out at a moments notice which as I said was most of the time. With out a doubt these tents would have been used in south korea in the late korean war period but also any where the army has to contend with extreme cold weather from that time to the present (I do not know what type is in use today, maybe the same type tent) , the tent or tents similar to this can be used of course in warmer area's and most likely where, although the stove would needless to say would not have been an issue item. If these tents where used in vietnam they would only be seen at the larger base camps or at fire support bases they would not be brought out in the field by units conducting active combat operations.

#4 msgt norway

msgt norway
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,975
  • 700 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 01:11 AM

here is my tent,10 man arctic tent.
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t185/norge_2007/DSCN2685.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t185/norge_2007/DSCN2694.jpg

this thent was used a lot,specialy in arctic ereas.
there was also a 5man arctic tent,same style just smaler.
the pole and tent stakes can be found at ebay.
ropes are harder,but they are the same as mainly every us military tent from the the
1950s to 1990s.

cheers ken,norway

#5 hawkdriver

hawkdriver
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,549
  • 7,965 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 04:48 AM

Go to this eBay auction: http://www.ebay.com/...=item4aacc97b55

Camo173 is from Springfield MO and sells a lot of this stuff and is very reasonable on shipping. Contact him and tell him exactly what you want and he will tell you what you need and work with you, very nice guy to work with.

#6 patches

patches
  • Members
  • 11,970 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 07:50 AM

here is my tent,10 man arctic tent.
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t185/norge_2007/DSCN2685.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t185/norge_2007/DSCN2694.jpg

this thent was used a lot,specialy in arctic ereas.
there was also a 5man arctic tent,same style just smaler.
the pole and tent stakes can be found at ebay.
ropes are harder,but they are the same as mainly every us military tent from the the
1950s to 1990s.

cheers ken,norway

Thats the one, nice photos. I spy the gas can off to the left side , as a, I guess universal method with these tents, the can was hoisted up off the ground by making a field made tripod from thick sections of tree limbs with the whole affair being lashed together at the upper apex.

#7 12thengr

12thengr
  • Members
    • Member ID: 32,632
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 08:12 AM

phpRPAr3XAM.jpg We referred to them as GP smalls and used them as guard tents for overnite stays at Camp Thomas on the Rhine River, late '70's. I actually lived in one in the '80's......wood cook stove, would raise the temp inside 10 degrees. Fine if it was 50 or over, not so fine when it was freezing. I've still got the liner, if you are at all interested.

#8 12thengr

12thengr
  • Members
    • Member ID: 32,632
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 01:07 PM

phpGyZkWnPM.jpg Here's one in use. Camp Thomas, FRG, 1978.

#9 patches

patches
  • Members
  • 11,970 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 07:24 PM

phpGyZkWnPM.jpg Here's one in use. Camp Thomas, FRG, 1978.

What is FRG please.

#10 sgtmonroe

sgtmonroe
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,045
  • 426 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 08:10 PM

What is FRG please.

Federal Republic Of Germany

#11 patches

patches
  • Members
  • 11,970 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 08:34 PM

Federal Republic Of Germany

DOOO..... I should have known that, thanks.

#12 doyler

doyler
  • Members
    • Member ID: 342
  • 21,502 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 08:43 PM

I had one of these about 20 years ago.Nice tent but I had no room for it.I sold it so it wouldnt stay folded and un-used as the previous owner had done.Mine had the original wooden center pole.For the money you have in it would be a good decision to go for the parts as Hak Driver said.

Good Luck!!!

#13 MIke_L.

MIke_L.
  • Members
    • Member ID: 282
  • 206 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 09:37 AM

There is a manual for it HERE under PIN 028537. The center pole as mentioned is still available and is the same as the GP Small Tent pole. The stakes are the same stakes as the GP Small and the pup tents, the 9" orange stakes. Very lightweight tents. I had to make a repair on mine and was able to do it on the family sewing machine. The only thing I don't like about these is the sides are lower than the 10-man Arctics and the GP Smalls but you got a good deal.

Edited by MIke_L., 09 October 2011 - 09:41 AM.

#14 craig_pickrall

craig_pickrall

Deceased Forum Co-Founder

• IN MEMORIAM
    • Member ID: 5
  • 11,253 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 11:42 AM

Mike I get an error when using that link. Can you check it and do what ever fix is needed please.

#15 MIke_L.

MIke_L.
  • Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 04:59 PM

Sorry about that. It worked OK on my machine but here is another link into the site: Army ETM. Just click "I accept" at the bottom, select "Enter the Site," type in 028537 in the PIN space and hit "Search." Should work fine now.

Used to be you could link directly into the TMs but they've changed the firewalls many times since. Once you get to the search page, bookmark it. That way you can go back to it easily and search for public access pubs. Anything with a DIS Code of A is public access.

#16 TenthA86

TenthA86
  • Members
    • Member ID: 820
  • 142 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 05:44 PM

doesn't work....

#17 Nate

Nate
  • New Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 09:53 AM

Thank you for the info guys!
...alittle unclear, the artic hexigonal is different from the hexigonal M-1950 correct?
Thats the kind of tent pole I was looking for. When I Ebay searched it a few weeks back I found that ebay seller "camo" he only had the aluminum GP small ones listed. I'll have to send him an message once it get some more money.
Thanks again to all who have helped!
That link didn't work for me...

#18 MIke_L.

MIke_L.
  • Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 04:48 PM

OK, since no one can get any of the links to work, try seaching for "Army ETM" on your favorite internet search engine. The first that comes up for me is the LOGSA site which is correct and reads https://www.logsa.ar...ms/find_etm.cfm.

Nate, if you still can't get it, send me a note.

Yes, the 10-man Arctic Tent is a different tent than the M1950 LW Tent. The Arctic Tent has higher walls similar to a GP Small.

Edited by MIke_L., 10 October 2011 - 04:50 PM.

#19 Nate

Nate
  • New Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 09:04 AM

OK, since no one can get any of the links to work, try seaching for "Army ETM" on your favorite internet search engine. The first that comes up for me is the LOGSA site which is correct and reads https://www.logsa.ar...ms/find_etm.cfm.

Nate, if you still can't get it, send me a note.

Yes, the 10-man Arctic Tent is a different tent than the M1950 LW Tent. The Arctic Tent has higher walls similar to a GP Small.

Ah! I got it to work! thanks alot Mike!
Really good info in that TM, really helped out!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

In Memory of Co-Founder GREG MILLS ROBINSON, a.k.a. "Marine-KaBar"
(February 17, 1949 - March 5, 2011)