History of Dallas Wing design - designers and patents

pfrost

I did a search on Google Patent Search (http://www.google.com/patents) for military wings and insignias and found this original patent for the Dallas wings (1,282,471) from October, 1918.

I suspect they were called "Dallas Wings" because the inventor of the wings (Clare Seman and Edward Heiligman) lived in Dallas, Texas.

Just an FYI to those of you who have an interest in wings and things.

1282471_MILITARY_OE_SIMILAR_INSIGNIA.pdf

I did a search on Google Patent Search (http://www.google.com/patents) for military wings and insignias and found this original patent for the Dallas wings (1,282,471) from October, 1918.

I suspect they were called "Dallas Wings" because the inventor of the wings (Clare Seman and Edward Heiligman) lived in Dallas, Texas.

Just an FYI to those of you who have an interest in wings and things.

Here is the drawing of the patent.

So, likely we should be calling them the Semans/Heiligman wings from now on! :w00t:

post-1519-1318029229.jpg

So, likely we should be calling them the Semans/Heiligman wings from now on! :w00t:

I'm sure Spellman would have something to say about that!

A great document and thanks for sharing.

It would be interesting to see a side by side comparison with a know original wing to see how closely eg the feathering matches the original design.

Regards

Mike

Hi Patrick,

Could be... but not necessarily. ^_^

While Clare L. Semans and Edward C. Heiligman from Dallas TX were granted patent #1,282,471 for the "Dallas" style wings on October 22, 1918, in the September 23, 1919 issue of The Official Gazette of the United States Patent Office it was announced that the two men were not the first inventors of the wings and their patent was disallowed on August 9, 1919... with no appeal.

Cliff

Thank you Patrick,

I have heard many stories of how the "Dallas" wing got it's name, but which ever one is true, I believe it will always be called the "Dallas Wing". :thumbsup:

Patrick,

I am very happy to reap the rewards of your research and the additional information added by Cliff. This information will be very useful for those of us interested in such details. I would like to put a finer point on the 8.9.1919 decision with the following taken from the document mentioned.

On August 9, 1919, a decision was rendered that Clare L. Seamans andEdward C. Heilgman were not the first inventors of the subject-matter coveredby claims 1 and 2 of their Patent No. 1,282471, subject, "Military orsimilar insignia" no appeal having been taken within the time allowed suchdecision has become final.

It would appear that just the claims for #1 and #2 are in question. I suggest those interested read the information in the claims to arrive at their own decision. From my initial read of the information it would appear the technical aspects of the design and assembly are in question vs. the actual aesthetic design.

Thoughts?

Cheers

John

It would appear that just the claims for #1 and #2 are in question. I suggest those interested read the information in the claims to arrive at their own decision. From my initial read of the information it would appear the technical aspects of the design and assembly are in question vs. the actual aesthetic design.

Thoughts?

:think:

Hi John,

The question of who was first to come up with the actual artistic design or shape for "Dallas" style wings may not be so questionable. I have long held the belief that Bailey, Banks & Biddle came up with the original design for "Dallas" wings and since Seman and Heiligman did try to plagiarized claims #1 and #2... but not the artistic design, it also "suggests" that they may have copied the Bailey, Banks & Biddle design as well.

Cliff

• 3 years later...

Interestingly, there was prior art with respect to this patent. Semans and Heligman had claims 1 and 2 disallowed in 1920 (documented in the Federal Patent Register), The reason was apparently because they violated Thomas Seastrunk's patent: 1340465.

post-594-0-26427900-1432518657.jpg

Thomas Seastrunk was a manufacturing jeweler who had his store on Main St, Dallas Texas. It should be noted, his patent, like the Semans and Heligman patent was not a patent on the design of, but the manufacture of insignia. Still it is interesting to note that there were two competing firms vying to patent this method of manufacture! Both of whom were in Dallas and both used very similar illustrations. Thomas P Seastrunk died in Apr 1924 and his store apparently closed.

One final thought, perhaps the mystery manufacturer of the third known type of "Dallas" wing was Thomas Seastrunk. He was a fairly prominent manufacturing jeweler in Dallas. Perhaps the enigmatic #5 on the back of Cliff's wing is a script "S" for Seastrunk?

Also possibly of note, according to the 1918 Dallas City Directory, Heiligman and Semans were both employees of E. M. Kahn and Company. A large downtown Dallas department store, whose tailoring department no doubt catered to Airmen from nearby Love Field. It is very likely that E.M. Kahn's had an existing trade relationship with BB&B or Eisenstadt. Perhaps they showed a sample to Seasrtunk to see if he could manufacture it locally and cut out the middleman? Regardless, it is interesting to think of multiple parties in Dallas competing for this patent.

Chris

• 1 month later...

Cliff,

Any notions on your part with respect to the third-type Dallas wing and manufacturing jeweler Thomas Seastrunk?

Cheers!

Chris

Missed this great post first time around. Thanks all for this brilliant research on the iconic "Dallas Wing". Bobgee

Cliff,

Any notions on your part with respect to the third-type Dallas wing and manufacturing jeweler Thomas Seastrunk?

Cheers!

Chris

Hello Chris,

I think I know where you may be going with this.

A while back on this forum it was mentioned that another example of the "third-style" Dallas wing had been located. During the discussion that followed someone raised the question, could the large number "5" which had been roughly etched on it's back actually be a letter "S" rather than a "5".

I wear glasses and my corrected vision is 20/15 which is pretty good for a guy 74 years old. Well, a few minutes ago I reexamined the "third style" badge in my collection and I'm just as convinced as before that it is a number "5" etched on its back rather than a letter "S".

Hope this helps.

Cliff

Images courtesy of: Aviation Wings and Badges of World War II

http://www.ww2wings.com/main.shtml

post-4542-0-78758700-1436333916.jpg

Hello Chris,

I think I know where you may be going with this

Certainly any evidence is circumstantial...

However I note:

There were two concerns trying to compete for an identical patent literally across the street from each other on Main St in Dallas Tx.

- One was a manufacturing jeweler (Seastrunk)

- One was a department store that employed jewelers and tailors (Kahn's, Heligman and Seman)

Both firms used an illustration very reminiscent of an Eisenstadt wing (with three shoulder feathers) in their patent applications

- Seastrunk filed for his patent 9 May 1918

- Heligman and Semans filed for their patent 29 June 1918

I surmise that sometime not long before the second week of May 1918, some young pilot transferred to Love Field, probably from Scott Field, near St Louis, with an Eisenstadt wing in hand. The young airman went downtown to Kahn's Department Store and Seastrunk's jewelry store to see if either firm could replicate the badge locally. Perhaps it was rivalry or competition, but it does appear as though the two firms were keen to keep each other from manufacturing the badge...

In the end, the point was made moot in late January 1919. But it is interesting to think about these two Dallas concerns nearly simultaneously trying to patent the manufacture method of this wing.

So IF the "5" (with its curl-embellishments) is a script "S" and IF that badge was made by Seastrunk (speculation), I would guess that it literally is the "third" Dallas-type wing. The order then being; BB&B inspired Eisenstadt, with the Seastrunk badge--assuming that the patent applications are indeed related--being based on the Eisenstadt version. Anyway, its fun to speculate.

Cheers!

Chris

Certainly any evidence is circumstantial..

So IF the "5" (with its curl-embellishments) is a script "S" and IF that badge was made by Seastrunk (speculation), I would guess that it literally is the "third" Dallas-type wing. The order then being; BB&B inspired Eisenstadt, with the Seastrunk badge--assuming that the patent applications are indeed related--being based on the Eisenstadt version.

Anyway, it's fun to speculate.

Your theory as to who may have made the "third" pattern Dallas-style wing is interesting but as you say, without any hard evidence there is no proof.

With regard to the photo in post #13. The inscription on the back of that badge is definitely a number "5" rather than a letter "S" in script.

If any one would like to get a closer look just click the photo twice to enlarge it by a factor of three.

Cliff

Your theory as to who may have made the "third" pattern Dallas-style wing is interesting but as you say, without any hard evidence there is no proof.

With regard to the photo in post #13. The inscription on the back of that badge is definitely a number "5" rather than a letter "S" in script.

Cliff,

No doubt about it.

But just for fun, here is a little thought experiment. Some of the below are the letter S and some are the number 5. How many forum members can tell which are which?

post-594-0-08788400-1436487776.png

Some are easier than others...

Just to throw a little salt into the fire, here is the way Seastrunk signed his patent:

post-594-0-65309800-1436487853.png

With that interesting flourish--one wonders if that may have approximated his trademark?

Finally, here is the 5 from the back of Cliff's wonderful wing:

post-594-0-08681000-1436488204.png

Whether or not Seastrunk made Cliff's wing; we will probably never know. One question does however deserve further analysis: With two nearly identical patents, from two competing downtown neighbors, using extremely similar illustrations; just exactly what was going on in Dallas during May and June of 1918?!? We will probably never know the answer to that question either.

Thanks to all for the enjoyable discussion!

Cheers!

Chris