Need help on ID and date on 3 different patches

Mitch

Hi Guys,

I need help on ID and place of manufacture and date of 3 different patches. 1st up is what I think is an USAF jacket patch. It is 5 X 5 inches. and is hand sewn . no glow

post-592-1195439768.jpg

post-592-1195439794.jpg

The second patch is possibly Korean time frame. I bought it from Bill Scott several years ago and he could not nail it down. So where do you think it was made and when. It almost looks like a German bevo in the skull area ???

post-592-1195439994.jpg

post-592-1195440128.jpg

The last is 17th Airborne 1 piece patch, cut edge. Black around the airborne tab and OG around the patch. Wher was this made and when.

I beleive that these patches are US made from the early 1960's when the army uniform changed from OD's to the AG44 (Yes, I know the wearout date was 1957 but many active duty and reserve soldiers continued to wear the Ike jacket clear into the 1960's!).

As the 17th wasn't active during that time period, I feel that the patches were made for sale in the clothing sales stores for "former wartime unit." I've seen a couple of them sewn to the right shoulders of VN period uniforms.

Allan

Your first patch w/ the armed & helmeted bird and star was ID'd in the Apr-Jun 2003 Trading Post as USMC VMF-513, WW II. I don't collect USMC so cannot comment as to the integrity of your insignia.

The 13th Inf Regt was an element of the 8th ID, which served in Germany in the 1950s. I don't have the exact dates the div went there.

Hi Allan,

Thanks for the quick response. What you say makes perfect sense. It does have the edge color to match the AG44. And I believe they probably were worn by previous members of the 17th that stayed in the servicce up to Vietnam.

Tredhed,

Thanks also for the quick response. The designation VMF-513 lasted up through the Korean war until about 1962-3. Now I will have to see if we can figure out when and where the patch was made. It seems too well detailed for a repro. The 13th has that German made look to it if you have it in your hand. Being stationed there might make sense to the origin and date of manufacture.

Any more input on the manufacture of the VMF-513 & 13th Inf. ????

Regards, Mitch

Mitch, 513 changed their patch at some point before the Korean War, probably in 1947 when they became a VMF(N) or nightfighter squadron. According to Jeff Millstein's book on USMC Aviation patches, VMF-513's WWII patch was silk screened on canvas. Perhaps your patch is from right after WWII? Enclosed is a photo of VMF(N) 513's Korea patch. Mark

post-527-1195518715.jpg