5 replies to this topic

#1 Javelin4life

Javelin4life
  • Members
    • Member ID: 19,935
  • 762 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 07:37 AM

Hey everyone,

I just got back from the gun show, and there were some pretty slim pickings today. However, what caught my eye was this Civil War Campaign Medal. Now, I know that it's not an original, as it isn't numbered on the bottom, and also, it has a slot brooch on the back, which leads me to believe that it is late 30's early 40's. I paid a nice low price for this piece as the seller was misinformed in what they had. In addition, the ribbon passes the black light test. My questions then are: What time period is this from exactly, and what would be the approximate value that it can go for? As always, opinions and input are welcome :thumbsup:

Attached Images

• Civil_War_Medal.jpg
  • Civil_War_Medal_2.jpg

Edited by Javelin4life, 24 September 2011 - 07:38 AM.

#2 SEABEEBRIAN

SEABEEBRIAN
  • Members
    • Member ID: 4,110
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 07:43 AM

Slot brooches were not used until the late 40's. Now there are certain sellers on ebay that put slot brooches on modern medals to make them appear to be older than they are.

#3 Allan H.

Allan H.
  • Members
    • Member ID: 151
  • 3,557 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 08:25 AM

Slot brooches were not used until the late 40's. Now there are certain sellers on ebay that put slot brooches on modern medals to make them appear to be older than they are.

I have a 1938 dated USN GC with a slot brooch, and most of my WWII issued medals have slot brooches.
That being said, I don't think this medal originally came with a slot brroch.

Allan

#4 SEABEEBRIAN

SEABEEBRIAN
  • Members
    • Member ID: 4,110
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 06:41 PM

I have a 1938 dated USN GC with a slot brooch, and most of my WWII issued medals have slot brooches.
That being said, I don't think this medal originally came with a slot brroch.

Allan

You're right on the CW campaign medal not coming with a slot brooch but neither did pre-war medals.

#5 Garth Thompson

Garth Thompson

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 83
  • 2,730 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 04:09 PM

There was a striking of older campaign medals CW on through the Spanish American War if I remember correctly in the 1950's by the US government. I've seen an Army and a Navy but they had the wider old crimp brooch. The detail of the strike was excellent. The Army came in a tan manila envelope and the Navy was in one of the standard blue boxes. While not period medals I wouldn't put them in the reproduction catagory. I can't tell from your picture if the medal in this post is one of them.
Garth

#6 Javelin4life

Javelin4life
  • Members
    • Member ID: 19,935
  • 762 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 09:18 AM

I can try to get a clearer picture of the front and back of the medal...would that help in determining if this medal falls into the category you're talking about?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

In Memory of Co-Founder GREG MILLS ROBINSON, a.k.a. "Marine-KaBar"
(February 17, 1949 - March 5, 2011)