MAG 31 Insignia

jpstout

This is a 5 1/2 x 5 1/4 inch photograph that came out of a small grouping of personal effects belonging to a Pvt. G. E. Skala. He was assigned to the 3dMAW and began his adventures with the marines in Sept. 1942. From all appearances it looks "Disney", but I have not seen this insignia (or any other) attributed to MAG 31 and thus, the reason I bought it.

Can anybody out there enlighten me on this one? :think:

many thanks,

pat

post-3673-1316376808.jpg

This is a "Disney" design no question, it is shown on page 54 of ther book "Disney Dons Dogtags" in color , it doesn't have the "MAG" title on it , but the rest of the design is exactly the same ,I'm guessing the "mag" was in the area of operations this unit was , it it titled "District Communications Office Fifth Naval District"

Hope this helps some !

Johnny

This is a "Disney" design no question, it is shown on page 54 of ther book "Disney Dons Dogtags" in color , it doesn't have the "MAG" title on it , but the rest of the design is exactly the same ,I'm guessing the "mag" was in the area of operations this unit was , it it titled "District Communications Office Fifth Naval District"

Hope this helps some !

Johnny

:thumbsup: Thanks Johnny!

I will have to look into that when I research this vet...

regards,

pat

Yes, it's the Fifth Naval District Communications Office. The tar cap atop the character's head also gives a hint it's Navy-related. This designed was featured in the March 1944 issue of Walt Disney's Comics & Stories comic book.

A word of warning . . . not all of the insignia in Disney Dons Dogtags were identified correctly.

Cheers,

David