1/48 Scale P-40K

USMCRECON

Here are a couple pictures of a 1/48 scale Mauve P-40M that I converted back to a P-40K with a new vertical tail and modifications to the engine cowling. It also has a resin cockpit and metal tubes in place of the plastic nubs on the wings that they call gun bbls. It's finished as a lend-lease aircraft flown bt Soviet Naval aviation ace LT Kuznetzov. It seems only two pics would fit so the other two will come in a follow-on post.

post-1107-1195170212.jpg

post-1107-1195170221.jpg

that's a sweet looking Russky ride! very nice.

What did you think of the quality of the Mauve kit?

All in all, I like it but not without a couple "nits." The biggest is the fit of the wing to fuselage joint. It took considerable work and putty to get it to align satisfactorily. I'm also not all that fond of the way they engineered the rear glazing. It's quite hard to get rid of the "step" between the uppet colored fuselage deck and the part that is case in clear along with the glazing.

I built this one some time ago and I now have a couple of the new Hasegawa P-40s. I haven't built any yet but they look like they will fit together nicely.

All in all, I like it but not without a couple "nits." The biggest is the fit of the wing to fuselage joint. It took considerable work and putty to get it to align satisfactorily. I'm also not all that fond of the way they engineered the rear glazing. It's quite hard to get rid of the "step" between the uppet colored fuselage deck and the part that is case in clear along with the glazing.

I built this one some time ago and I now have a couple of the new Hasegawa P-40s. I haven't built any yet but they look like they will fit together nicely.

Nice job. It looks like you overcame the difficulties.

Retired

Nice job. It looks like you overcame the difficulties.

Retired

Thanks for your comments. It took a considerable amount of time, particularly on the wing roots....thank you for your comment!