• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#26 Blair217

Blair217
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,260
  • 715 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 11:18 AM

Anyone know where I can find a Lyman 5A scope and rings or a Winchester A5 or something similiar??

If you aren't bothered by "new" check out the Wm.Malcolm 03 scope and mounts offered by http://www.hi-luxoptics.com Looks like the old A5 but better optics and durability if you are going to shoot it.

#27 doyler

doyler
  • Members
    • Member ID: 342
  • 33,752 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 12:08 PM

If you aren't bothered by "new" check out the Wm.Malcolm 03 scope and mounts offered by http://www.hi-luxoptics.com Looks like the old A5 but better optics and durability if you are going to shoot it.

Thanks Blair...definately will check them out.

#28 1944

• Members
    • Member ID: 11,464
  • 3,399 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 12:24 PM

Hey Ron,
Congrats my friend that is one Fantastic looking 1903 Springfield Rifle you have got there wow :w00t: is all i can say !
and only 250 of them ever Produced in 1925 that in its self is a Very Rare Rifle Very Nice indeed and Well Done for sure :thumbsup:

What would look amazing attached to that Rifle would be the Untertl 8 X Sniper Scope they make a great job of the 1903 Rifles cause there
so big when attached to them they really make a job of the rifle, the only problem they Normally make between 1500+ on EBay alone as i have being after one the last 4 years and they just go for Insane Prices.. but if i ever get a 1903 Rifle that will be the Sniper Scope i will use.

Anyways take care my friend and enjoy it looks great :)

Tomás.

#29 RustyCanteen

RustyCanteen

ADMINISTRATOR

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 24,355
  • 15,512 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 12:56 PM

Interesting that it has a 1909-1918 stock on it, low wood with one (rear) stock 'bolt'.

That's very nice Ron.

RC

#30 RustyCanteen

RustyCanteen

ADMINISTRATOR

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 24,355
  • 15,512 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 01:19 PM

Just realized when reading my post that I should clarify my comment on the age of the stock, it could be a "high wood" converted to "low wood" or it may have been manufactured as a "low wood" to begin with, not having the inspector's mark makes it tough to say which is correct.

But in 1918 (through WWII) the stocks were manufactured with a second 'recoil' stock bolt, located forward of the rear one. Several older model stocks were altered to have both bolts late and post WWI, not all of them were so modified.

RC

Edited by RustyCanteen, 12 September 2011 - 01:20 PM.

#31 wleoff

wleoff
  • Members
    • Member ID: 4,802
  • 82 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 03:35 PM

Don't want to barge in, but I just picked up this sportered 1903 with a Weaver 330 scope on it.
I bought it because of the scope and mount because the receiver S/N is 535243, which puts it under 800,000 and unsafe to shoot. The barrel date is 11-12.

1903One.jpg

1903Two.jpg

1903ten.jpg

1903seven.jpg

The guy that I bought it from (and here's the story) said that his grandfather bought it from the DCM in the late 20s and paid a couple of dollars extra to get one with a scope. He said that his grandfather used it every year during deer season until the mid 90s when he died. It does have the best trigger that I've ever seen on a 1903. But I didn't think that the Weavers were made until the 30s. I've got to go over the scope and see if I can find a S/N or other info.

Edited by DesertRatTom, 15 October 2014 - 10:24 AM.
Transfer pictures from off site storage. drt

#32 doyler

doyler
  • Members
  • 33,752 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 05:17 PM

Hey Ron,
Congrats my friend that is one Fantastic looking 1903 Springfield Rifle you have got there wow :w00t: is all i can say !
and only 250 of them ever Produced in 1925 that in its self is a Very Rare Rifle Very Nice indeed and Well Done for sure :thumbsup:

What would look amazing attached to that Rifle would be the Untertl 8 X Sniper Scope they make a great job of the 1903 Rifles cause there
so big when attached to them they really make a job of the rifle, the only problem they Normally make between 1500+ on EBay alone as i have being after one the last 4 years and they just go for Insane Prices.. but if i ever get a 1903 Rifle that will be the Sniper Scope i will use.

Anyways take care my friend and enjoy it looks great :)

Tomás.

Thanks Tomas

I agree the Unertl scope and the 03 are a classic combination

RD

#33 doyler

doyler
  • Members
  • 33,752 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 07:25 PM

Wleoff

Nice looking sporter.Thanks for posting.
I think there were a series of NRA sporters made for sale.You may have to run the number to see if you can get a match to a sale number.

#34 Blair217

Blair217
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,260
  • 715 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 10:42 AM

Wleoff

Nice looking sporter.Thanks for posting.
I think there were a series of NRA sporters made for sale.You may have to run the number to see if you can get a match to a sale number.

NRA Sporters are HN receivers.They fall into a specific serial number range,1260000-1445000.

#35 1944

• Members
    • Member ID: 11,464
  • 3,399 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 11:54 AM

Thanks Tomas

I agree the Unertl scope and the 03 are a classic combination

RD

Hey Ron,
I have to agree with you there on that one for sure! the Untertl 8X Sniper Scope sure is a great set up for the 03 Rifle
But i think the Weaver Scope looks great attached to the 03 also which is a lot cheaper on the long run market price value :thumbsup:
Take Care.

Best Regards
Tomás ;)

#36 Mike D

Mike D
  • Members
    • Member ID: 20,600
  • 104 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 04:27 PM

Doyler - Very nice rifle! I think the stock and scope blocks are previous owner add-ons. Are the receiver rails polished? Brophy discusses three different configurations of Special Target rifles. Definitely worth buying the book. I'll see what other info I can dig up.

Edited by Mike D, 19 September 2011 - 04:28 PM.

#37 marineamtracer

marineamtracer
  • Inactive
    • Member ID: 5,994
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 05:12 PM

Wow Ron...I can't even say how cool that rifle is! what an amazing find! I can see why you have that 03 addiction!

#38 doyler

doyler
  • Members
  • 33,752 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 07:13 PM

Wow Ron...I can't even say how cool that rifle is! what an amazing find! I can see why you have that 03 addiction!

Thanks C...

RD

#39 Mike D

Mike D
  • Members
    • Member ID: 20,600
  • 104 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 01:27 PM

Doyler - I asked well known author and student of the '03, John Beard, to take a look at your rifle because I was also, very interested in it (and '03's in general). You don't see those often! It has obviously seen some match use and I wish it could tell of the shots it's made!

This is what John had to say -

The rifle on the forum is one of 250 Special Target rifles made at Springfield Armory during the 1926 Fiscal Year. A Special Target rifle from that period was a standard service rifle fitted with a star-gauged barrel. I have one in my collection, SA S/N 1269281 with S.A./7-25 barrel. My rifle is near new, was sold through the DCM, and came with the original sales receipt.

The rifle on the forum has been altered. In addition to the obvious installation of scope blocks and associated handguard alteration, I note:

(1) The rear sight appears to be a replacement. That is not unusual. The original rear sight probably interfered with the telescope, was removed, and subsequently misplaced.

(2) The bolt and bolt sleeve have been polished. Bolts and bolt sleeves on Special Target rifles were standard service issue and were not polished.

(3) The cocking piece has been altered by Bubba to a headless type. Special Target rifles were fitted with standard service issue cocking pieces.

In January, 1926, the Adjutant General re-defined a Special Target rifle as a Cleaned and Repaired (C&R) National Match rifle, thereby ending production of special service rifles with star-gauged barrels.

Hope this helps. Thanks for your interest and inquiry!

J.B.

#40 carbinekid

carbinekid
  • Members
    • Member ID: 6,603
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 03:41 PM

Wow, very nice rifle. I would leave it as is even though the bolt has been played with. It was probably tuned up like that 80 years ago, its been that way long enough you could almost call it original.

Good luck on your hunt for a Unertl, those bastards get pricey!

#41 doyler

doyler
  • Members
  • 33,752 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:54 PM

Ended up getting the letter from the Springfield research people thanks to a friend.

As luck would have it I was talking to a guy at our little gunshow a week ago.Mentioned I needed a old scope.He sold me a old FECKER with mounts.She went right on the rifle.Got a good deal on it as it wasnt mint and he said the front lense was cracked.Has the end caps as well.When he brought it in saturday morning I looked at it and said the lense isnt cracked its just flaking/delaminating.He stuck to his price and said he may sell me a Lyman target scope as well.

Will post the rifle and scope soon

#42 doyler

doyler
  • Members
  • 33,752 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:51 PM

Heres the scope mounted

2014_0310milstuff329130013.JPG

#43 MWalsh

MWalsh
  • Members
    • Member ID: 440
  • 5,719 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 05:27 AM

I hadn't seen this thread before RD. Wow, that's quite a rifle!

One thing you never mentioned about it tho... Just how is the trigger? Smooth as glass or what?

Just curious what an oldie like that had for a trigger.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users