What does a Real WWI Fourragere for the Croix de Guerre look like?

suwanneetrader

suwanneetrader

I keep trying to get a period shoulder cord for the WWI French Croix de Guerre that WWI Marines were permitted to wear. Everyone I get turns out to be WWII or even much later. Does anyone have a photo they would post. Also are the old ones all wool? Thanks Richard

suwanneetrader

Are they wool? This one is damaged but is it WWII? Notice the light green cord twisted around one end instead of a leather piece or like on your WWI one the cord is made into a "spade" shape. Thanks Richard

Wool is normal.I have seen WW2 wool ones also.I once compared the one on the WW1 uniform to an example that came right out of a 1919 or 1920 dated box.They were identical.I also have a matching one on the mans WW2 uniform.

RD

Suwanneetrader- Yours is most likely WWII. The original ones awarded to the WW I veterans that earned it have a double loop cord like what ski shows. The extra loops were worn outside the shoulder.

The Fourrageres were shipped after WW I to the veterans that rated them. Also inclosed in the package was a card notating such & a miniature fourragere to be worn on the lapel of a suit. Although some wore them on their uniforms on their medals but this was not regulation.

The fourragere is the unit award of the French Croix de Guerre. Note the colors of the Cord are the same as the individual Medal ribbon.

Also notice the tip on Ski's, His is a Fourragere that was worn by an individual that also was awarded the Croix de Guerre individual Medal. If the individual was awarded the Croix de Guerre Medal with Palm or Star or 2 palms etc... these would also be on the tip. Very hard to find these.

• 3 years later...

Suwanneetrader- Yours is most likely WWII. The original ones awarded to the WW I veterans that earned it have a double loop cord like what ski shows. The extra loops were worn outside the shoulder.

The Fourrageres were shipped after WW I to the veterans that rated them. Also inclosed in the package was a card notating such & a miniature fourragere to be worn on the lapel of a suit. Although some wore them on their uniforms on their medals but this was not regulation.

The fourragere is the unit award of the French Croix de Guerre. Note the colors of the Cord are the same as the individual Medal ribbon.

Also notice the tip on Ski's, His is a Fourragere that was worn by an individual that also was awarded the Croix de Guerre individual Medal. If the individual was awarded the Croix de Guerre Medal with Palm or Star or 2 palms etc... these would also be on the tip. Very hard to find these.

I am very curious about the different tips. Can you direct me to a reference for more info. I am currently corresponding with the grand-daughter of a WWI 5th Marine who was wounded at Belleau Wood and believed to be dead, that is until he showed up after the end of the war. He had been captured by the germans who treated his head wound and kept him as a POW.

She is currently searching for and sending me photos of his unit, awards, and medals. He received, among others, the DSC, NC, PH, and CDeG.

My grandfather was also in 5th Marines (both 2/5 and 1/5 as a PVT and SGM, 2LT during occupation) and was a runner at Belleau Wood. His fourragere is wool, same plain tip as the one posted by Doyler in #3 above.