WWII shell casing art

Bluehawk

Here is a photo of a lamp and candlestick holders made by the Navy father of a close Army(Ret) buddy of mine here in town. I can identify the .50 cal shell and parts of shells, but not anything else. I think the base of the lamp might be part of a large shell too. Its very nicely built and in beautiful condition, including the original 1940s wire and plug. Just for your enjoyment

post-3976-1315281173.jpg

Charlie Flick

Neat. It is hard to tell the scale from the photo but I would guess that the base item is cut from a 3 inch 50 caliber case. The item above that appears to be a 40mm case.

Regards,

Charlie Flick

Neat. It is hard to tell the scale from the photo but I would guess that the base item is cut from a 3 inch 50 caliber case. The item above that appears to be a 40mm case.

Regards,

Charlie Flick

Thanks

Someone had guessed the lamp base to be a 105, and the vertical piece there to be an 88.

I have no clue at all.

Charlie Flick

Blue:

My guesses were predicated on the information that these items were made by someone in the Navy in the WW2 era. Since the US Navy did not use 105mm or 88mm guns in the 1940s then it seems unlikely to me that the casings are of those types. The headstamps on the cartridges will tell you exactly what the casings are if you can read them. Without markings or dimensions we are just fumbling around in the dark.

Regards,

Charlie Flick

Blue:

My guesses were predicated on the information that these items were made by someone in the Navy in the WW2 era. Since the US Navy did not use 105mm or 88mm guns in the 1940s then it seems unlikely to me that the casings are of those types. The headstamps on the cartridges will tell you exactly what the casings are if you can read them. Without markings or dimensions we are just fumbling around in the dark.

Regards,

Charlie Flick

:lol: Naturally, it was the Army guy who tried to identify the shells...

Thanks so much. I'm sure you must be correct about the Navy sizing.

Nice pieces !! I actually had a pair of the same style candle stick holders. Nice stuff, but i had to sell my holders since it didn't fit my area of collecting.

Nice pieces !! I actually had a pair of the same style candle stick holders. Nice stuff, but i had to sell my holders since it didn't fit my area of collecting.

Thank you. I was very impressed with the craftsmanship of this set, somebody went to a lot of trouble with brazing and fitting.