11 replies to this topic

#1 gfguns

gfguns
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 54,903
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 09:39 AM

Hello All
I happened upon this thread while doing research on a 1902 revolver I am thinking about buying. Thank you for allowing me to join. Here are a few pictures of the revolver and also two of what I believe is a commercial/civilian holster for the 1902. I would very much appreciate any feedback as far as estimated value for the revolver. The seller has described the 1902 as being 100% correct and original in very good to excellent condition.
Thanks and Redards
Greg

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Does anyone have a holster or a pic of the holster used for the M1902 Colt Alaskan model? Should this be on the equipment page? I was hoping the holster guys looked in both places.
thanks

Edited by gfguns, 04 September 2011 - 09:41 AM.

#2 Orgone

Orgone
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,588
  • 227 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 09:02 AM

The gun looks like it has about 90% blue and does not look like it's been refinished. I see some slightly buggered screws, but not too bad. Looks good, anyway. How much is the seller asking for it? I imagine an H H Heiser holster such as yours is worth about $150. or so.

#3 dalbert

dalbert
  • Members
    • Member ID: 6,815
  • 329 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 10:19 AM

gfguns,

That's a good one. It is marked "JTT," which stands for John Taliaferro Thompson, who was the Army Inspector of Pistols from 1901 to 1903. John Thompson is the namesake of the Thompson Submachine Gun, and he was also involved with the M1911 Pistol, and production of the M1917 Rifle. I've wanted a pistol like this for a while, and have seen several, ranging in asking price from $1200 to $2400. I think the $2400 asking price was extremely high. I'd like to find one under $1000. Anyway, I hope this helps. It has some interest to advanced Thompson collectors like me.

David Albert
[email protected]

#4 Blair217

Blair217
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,260
  • 715 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 10:48 AM

$1500 to $1800 in that condition and that may be on the low side. Only about 4200 of these were made.

#5 Niner Alpha

Niner Alpha
  • Members
    • Member ID: 6,574
  • 270 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 11:10 AM

Standard Catalog of Firearms, Dan Shidler, 2010 edition says 5500 excellent, 3500 VG, 1800 Good. Page 281

#6 Blair217

Blair217
  • Members
  • 715 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 11:56 AM

Flayderman's 9th very good $900 Excellent $3000

#7 doyler

doyler
  • Members
    • Member ID: 342
  • 33,842 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 12:02 PM

THe gun guides are good to me as a guide only as far as determining model number,serial range etc.I have often found ANY price guide never works in the favor of a item when Im buying or selling something....but the other guy has to get book(plus) all the time.Seems the guides come out every year with a slight increase in price to garner new sales of the guide as everyone has to have them.

One of these sold her locally in what I call fair condition showing an old re-blue and brought $650 anyway its a great looking old Colt and if its in your range buy it.

RD

#8 Blair217

Blair217
  • Members
  • 715 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 12:17 PM

THe gun guides are good to me as a guide only as far as determining model number,serial range etc.I have often found ANY price guide never works in the favor of a item when Im buying or selling something....but the other guy has to get book(plus) all the time.Seems the guides come out every year with a slight increase in price to garner new sales of the guide as everyone has to have them.

One of these sold her locally in what I call fair condition showing an old re-blue and brought $650 anyway its a great looking old Colt and if its in your range buy it.

RD

Very true,tracking sales of a particular model is a better guide to current values.That said,all variations of the Colt Model 1878 DA Revolver are rising in price on the collectors market as the SAA have become unafordable to most collectors.As 'doyler' says,if its in your range buy it.

#9 ron norman

ron norman
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,109
  • 273 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 12:31 PM

Hello All
I happened upon this thread while doing research on a 1902 revolver I am thinking about buying. Thank you for allowing me to join. Here are a few pictures of the revolver and also two of what I believe is a commercial/civilian holster for the 1902. I would very much appreciate any feedback as far as estimated value for the revolver. The seller has described the 1902 as being 100% correct and original in very good to excellent condition.
Thanks and Redards
Greg

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Greg. The correct name for the gun has been found to be the PHILLIPINE CONSTABULARY model made with the large trigger guard to allow more leverage (two Fingers) for double action use, especially with the smaller Filipinos. Because of their use in the Philippines they are scarce in fine or better condition. I paid 800 for mine a couple of years ago to put in my Philippine Constabulary collection. I wanted one to look like "It had been there"

I would estimate 1500 to 2000 as a fair price in todays market for the Revolver you have shown if it had not been refinished. It appears to be original finish, but I would not say for sure without having it in hand to examine.

The question also was raised about the holsters. They were both the standard 1878/1902 holsters modified to accomidate the larger trigger guard or a similar model made to fit the larger trigger guard. They had PC embossed on the holster in place of the standard US in the same position.

Hope that helps.
Ron Norman

Edited by ron norman, 05 September 2011 - 12:43 PM.

#10 gfguns

gfguns
  • New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 04:26 PM

Thanks all!
I appreciate all of the info and I agree that the price guides are just that "a guide". The Blue Book has them @$2,875.00 40 o/o and $3,950.00 for 70 o/o. The owner is asking $3,000.00 gun only and he calls it Vg to Exc. Have any of you ever seen an original holster with the PC embossed? Better yet do you know of one for sale? Thanks Ron for the Philippine Constabulary info and David I had no idea Thompson the inspector was related the Tommy Gun designer. Glad to find this site and I hope I can contribute in the future.
Thanks again
Greg

#11 Niner Alpha

Niner Alpha
  • Members
    • Member ID: 6,574
  • 270 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 05:15 PM

Standard Catalog of Firearms from 2004 shows same numbers as their 2011 for the Model 1902 Phillippine or Alaskan $5500 excellent and $3500 very good. However, the Flayderman 6th Edition from mid 1990's .shows Exc. $1850 and Very Good at only $650. What you are showing photos of looks to be somewhere between good and very good. I myself don't see it being worth anything like the Standard numbers......I'm no authority though.

#12 gfguns

gfguns
  • New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 06:51 PM

Thanks Niner Alpha I appreciate the information
Take Care
Greg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users