• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 USMCRECON

USMCRECON
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,107
  • 4,490 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 06:11 AM

Here are a couple pictures of my latest EGA acquisition, a pair of Marine officer's dress blue EGAs. I got them off eBay from a seller whom I believe is also a forum member. They were advertised as pre WW-II - WW-II era and I have no reason to believe otherwise.

The picture below is of the front of the EGAs. The continents seem to have had the gold either polished or worn off but almost all of it is intact on the anchors.

Pre_WW_II.jpg

Edited by USMCRECON, 03 September 2011 - 06:20 AM.

#2 USMCRECON

USMCRECON
  • Members
  • 4,490 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 06:15 AM

Here's the backs. The backs seem to also have a gold tone to them. The Eagles are rather hollow backed and look like they were stamped as part of the globe rather than solid and attached to the globe later like most of the other EGAs in my meager collection. I'm not an EGA expert but I like them.

Pre_WW_II_dress_EGAs_2.jpg

Edited by USMCRECON, 03 September 2011 - 06:17 AM.

#3 USMCRECON

USMCRECON
  • Members
  • 4,490 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 06:18 AM

Here's the last picture....as good a close up of thr Meyer hallmark as I could take.

Comments are always welcome.

Pre_WW_II_dress_EGAs_3.jpg

#4 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 22
  • 21,778 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 06:46 AM

nice lifetime matched set :thumbsup:

#5 normaninvasion

normaninvasion
  • Members
    • Member ID: 4,253
  • 2,431 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 07:18 AM

I love this design, but have been confused as to dating this style as it seems to have had a long service life.

#6 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 376
  • 21,535 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 08:19 AM

I love this design, but have been confused as to dating this style as it seems to have had a long service life.

This Meyer emblem design did indeed have a long life - very attractive. I place this one in the depression years, as the hand-tooled fret work (running between latitude) was eventually replaced by machne tooling of the same nature. Obviously a life long match - not a recent "engadgement" as is seen so often these days on ebay. Congrat's Bill!

#7 USMCRECON

USMCRECON
  • Members
  • 4,490 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 09:31 AM

This Meyer emblem design did indeed have a long life - very attractive. I place this one in the depression years, as the hand-tooled fret work (running between latitude) was eventually replaced by machne tooling of the same nature. Obviously a life long match - not a recent "engadgement" as is seen so often these days on ebay. Congrat's Bill!

Thank you, gentlemen, for the comments and thank you, Darrell, for your confirmation of the era. The seller had described them as pre-WW-I through..." As I mentioned previously, I had no reason not to believe the seller's description but he did leave open the possibility of being through WW-II years. I was hoping they'd be more "pre" that "during."

Edited by USMCRECON, 03 September 2011 - 09:39 AM.

#8 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
  • 21,535 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 06:37 AM

Bill, here is an example of the of the design preceeding yours. Note the hand tooled stempling of the globe...

Attached Images

• IMG_5040.jpg

#9 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
  • 21,535 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 06:38 AM

... another view

Attached Images

• IMG_5041.jpg

#10 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
  • 21,535 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 06:40 AM

... and reverse

Attached Images

• IMG_5044.jpg

#11 USMCRECON

USMCRECON
  • Members
  • 4,490 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 05:55 AM

Beautiful pair of EGAs, Darrell.

That's the style I've been after for several years for my 1926 officer's blues (without punched collar).

Thanks for showing them!

#12 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
  • 21,535 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 08:38 AM

A few more examples of the 1920's stempling and fret work for you...

Attached Images

• brian_manifor_BBB_fret_work.jpg
  • brian_manifor_BBB_stempling.jpg

#13 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
  • 21,535 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:26 AM

Fellow forum members:

You are in the Marine Corps EGA reference section. This area is were posts from the Marine Corps, USMC EGA discussion section are moved for permanent retention and education about the history of the Eagle, Globe and Anchor. As time moves forward there maybe additional information the EGA Moderators wish to add or will add to this specific post. We ask for your input as well.

We encourage further comments about this post and its content. In order to do so, you will need to start a new post in the USMC EGA discussion area which is listed in the main page under insignia. And as needed we will be pleased to move any new and or valued information that is derived from your post (and subsequent comments) into this reference area as its own standing post.

Please be advised; posting and or editing is restricted on Eagle, Globe and Anchor emblem threads; to moderator's and forum staff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users