When the heck are these pictures from?

duarte1223

I've had these 2 pictures for as long as I can remember, both are dated 1947 on the back (by the photo service company), but the man seems to be wearing a WW1 uniform. The only problem is... the collar isn't from any WW1 uniform I've seen.

Does anyone have ANY clues about these pictures?

Thank you,

Adam

post-101-1168027374.jpg

It looks like it is his shirt collar.

Was it a common practice to have it outside of the tunic like that?

Adam

Was it a common practice to have it outside of the tunic like that?

Adam

It was not regulation to wear the service COAT insignia on the shirt collar. I have seen this in quite a few pictures and my assumption is that the soldiers were allowed to remove their coats for exterior work and training, but the local commands wanted them to show their unit identification. This simple temorary wear of the shirt collar over the coat collar avoided changing the collar disks from coat to shirt collar and back. I have examined images of officers with their shirt collar out over their coat collar and it shows up in photo images often enough that it could be called a "common" practice.

The photos were taken circa 1918-1926. I cannot imagine the unprocessed negatives holding up over 20 years. Perhaps the film was processed at the time exposed and these two prints printed in 1947.

Any chance the "4" is really a poorly written "1". Then 1917 would fit well for these pictures...the finish on the pictures does really looks WWI period to me.

They're definitely marked 1947, I'm sure they're just prints of WW1 photos, as was stated.

Thanks for your help everyone!

Adam