HELP , INFO ABOUT MAJOR GENERAL USAF

Jamecharles

Hi all,

i've a blue dress officer uniform in my collection named to Hugh Arthur Parker , born in 1907 dead in 1991 , he become a Major General of USAF after WW2 and he was promoted COLONEL in 1942.

I would like to know if someone can help me in find some more information of him, in detail i need to know what kind of medals were awarded or better if someone can discover a photo of him in dress uniform!

Thank you all

GS

here some infos of him , nothing so important becouse no medals are mentioned here:

Blue dress Air Force

Parker, Hugh Arthur (017894).

B—Ga. 23 Mar. 07.

A—Ga. Grad.: A. C. Primary Flying Sch. 29, A. C.

Advanced Flying Sch., Attack Course,29, A. C. Tantical Sch., 39.

Rated: Sr. Plt.; C. Obsr.; A. Obsr.

Flying cadet A. C. 23 June 28 to 27 June 29;

2 It. A. C. 4 Sept. 29; accepted 4 Oct. 29;

2 Lt. Air Res. 22 June 29; accepted 22 June 29; active duty 28 June 29 to 3 Oct. 29;

1 It. (temp.) 15 Mar. 35 to 30 Apr. 35;

1 It. 1 May 35;

capt. 4 Sept. 39;

maj. (temp.) 21 Mar. 41; accepted 21 Mar. 41;

maj. A. U. S. 27 Nov. 42;

It.col. (temp.) 5 Jan. 42;

Lt. col. A. U. S. 9 Mar. 43;

Col. A. U. S. (A. C.) 2 Dec. 42;

col. A. U. S. 13 Apr. 44.

(PL-537)

Document #1373; November 10, 1959

To Hugh Arthur Parker

Series: EM, WHCF, President’s Personal File 1913

The Papers of Dwight David Eisenhower, Volume XX - The Presidency: Keeping the Peace

Part VIII: "Friends and Foes"; September 1959 to February 1960

Chapter 19: Khrushchev in America

Dear Lefty: I must admit to a certain feeling of nostalgia as well as surprise when I learned today of your retirement this coming November twenty-third from the United States Air Force.1

Inevitably, I think of our close association, over twenty years ago, when we saw service together in the Philippines when you, Bill Lee and I were engaged in the task of helping build the air strength of the Philippine Army.2 Particularly, I often wonder how you found the patience to pursue your effort to teach me some of the "mysteries" of piloting a Stearman Trainer.3

I send my congratulations to you on the termination of a successful and highly useful career in the Air Force. More than that, however, I want to wish the very best to you and Janet in all the years that lie ahead.4

Mamie joins me in sending our warmest regard, Sincerely

1 Parker had been commander of Continental Air Defense Command Forces, Western Continental Air Defense Region and Western Air Defense Forces at Hamilton Air Force Base in California since 1957. As one of the first two flight instructors assigned to the Philippines (1935 - 1938), Parker had organized the Philippine Army Air Corps. Eisenhower had met him in 1935. A note from Ann Whitman indicates that the President revised this letter and sent a copy to his Air Force aide, William G. Draper (same file as document).

2 William L. Lee also had been a flying instructor with the Philippine Air Corps. In August Lee had retired with the rank of Brigadier General (see no. 1015).

3 For Eisenhower's account of his flight training see At Ease, p. 226, and Daniel D. Holt and James W. Leyerzaph, Eisenhower: The Prewar Diaries and Selected Papers, 1905 - 1941 (Baltimore, 1998), p. 421.

4 Parker’s wife was the former Janet L. Baker. For developments see the following document.

Bibliographic reference to this document:

Eisenhower, Dwight D. To Hugh Arthur Parker, 10 November 1959. In The Papers of Dwight David Eisenhower, ed. L. Galambos and D. van Ee, doc. 1373. World Wide Web facsimile by The Dwight D. Eisenhower Memorial Commission of the print edition; Baltimore, MD: The Johns Hopkins University Press, 1996, http://www.eisenhowermemorial.org/presiden...uments/1373.cfm

LOL i ''googled'' too but no records about his decorations :(

GS

:lol:

Parker does have an oral history on file at the Air Force Historical Research Agency (under call # K239.0512-601 ) but, for the life of me, I cannot find the darn thing for you.

However, that oral history being there bodes well for AFHRA having his service details, and probably a photo and everything else on file.

I know one of the senior guys here will have access to something better than my little result, so am hoping they'll notice your request.

Helping teach Ike how to fly would certainly suggest that he has not been ignored or forgotten (like I will surely be! :rolleyes: )

Thank you alot mate

He had an important role in U.S. aviation history , if someone has the ability to find the informations you have cited would be fabulous and I would also like to show you the blue dress in question!

The ultimate goal is to give back the original splendor it was, full of all medals and badges!

Giancarlo

• 3 years later...

Maj Gen Hugh A Parker is my grandfather. I can answer most questions regarding his life and career. Also my father, LTC James C Parker, just recently passed away. He was the only child of Maj Gen Parker & Janet Parker. I have inherited a lot of historic military memorabilia.

Maj Gen Hugh A Parker is my grandfather. I can answer most questions regarding his life and career. Also my father, LTC James C Parker, just recently passed away. He was the only child of Maj Gen Parker & Janet Parker. I have inherited a lot of historic military memorabilia.

Welcome to the Forum David.

My grandfather, MG Hugh A Parker, was the initial base commander of the 1st US Military Base and Air Field in Japan following Japan's surrender. There is also a statue of him there in a formal garden near the Kasugabaru commuter station.

Here is a link to a paper about the base that makes note of this: www.mansell.com/pow_resources/camplists/fukuoka/fuk_01_fukuoka/fukuoka_01/Sonicle.html

In the book "Wings Over the Mexican Border", he is also mentioned quite extensively. This was from his early days of flying bi-planes while patrolling the Texas/Mexico border to protect Texas farmers, ranchers, and border towns from bandits that would raid from Mexico.