• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 14alpha

14alpha
  • Members
    • Member ID: 53,291
  • 84 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 01:21 PM

Saw a MICH/ACH at a local surplus store for $135. It came with an ACU cover and some OD ESS's with the cover for the ESS's. Just wondering if that's a good deal, or am I over paying? Thanks for any help.

#2 HoovieDude

HoovieDude
  • Members
    • Member ID: 9,647
  • 3,950 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 01:50 PM

Saw a MICH/ACH at a local surplus store for $135. It came with an ACU cover and some OD ESS's with the cover for the ESS's. Just wondering if that's a good deal, or am I over paying? Thanks for any help.

It is not too bad a price really, if it is in good shape. But it depends on what you think it is worth.

#3 Longbranch

Longbranch
  • Members
    • Member ID: 11,320
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 01:56 PM

Depends... I've seen them selling on Ebay at times for $60-$70, and other times for double that. Condition is a big deal, as well as manufacturer. Rabintex and Armorsource helmets have been recalled, and they seem to sell for less. Small sizes don't sell as well either. Patched covers help the value.

#4 14alpha

14alpha
  • Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 02:32 PM

It seems as though the ones that are selling for around $60 are replica's. This one looks good but I'm not really sure if it's real or just a replica. Also, isn't the NVG mount missing the strap that runs to the back of the helmet.
http://www.ebay.com/...#ht_4130wt_1344

#5 HoovieDude

HoovieDude
  • Members
  • 3,950 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 03:03 PM

It seems as though the ones that are selling for around $60 are replica's. This one looks good but I'm not really sure if it's real or just a replica. Also, isn't the NVG mount missing the strap that runs to the back of the helmet.
http://www.ebay.com/...#ht_4130wt_1344

:thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: Pure airsoft fake. Don't buy anything from China. And nowdays, you don't see many of the straps being worn, just the bracket as it is secured to the lid using screws.

#6 RANDALL 1953

RANDALL 1953
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,427
  • 676 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 05:22 PM

I agree with HoovieDude anything in that price range is for airsoft. What is the size and maker? The most common makers are Gentex, SDS, & MSA. I have one of each in my collection and paid $125.00-$180.00 each but mine are new and unused and are all medium sizes. If the one you mentioned is made by any of the 3 and is in good condition with the extras I would say it sounds fair. If the store owner would allow you to snap some pics and post them here we could give you a honest opinion.

#7 Longbranch

Longbranch
  • Members
    • Member ID: 11,320
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 06:30 PM

Yup, around $125 to $150 is the average price for complete ACHs with the NVG mount. I picked up a salty ACH with the NVG mount, upgraded pads and chinstrap, and named helmet band for $90. Good deals are out there if you look...

Here's one that sold for $99 and had all the goodies:
http://www.ebay.com/...#ht_2946wt_1176
Here's a new large-size ACH "in the box" without cover or NVG mount for about $100:
http://www.ebay.com/...0#ht_500wt_1191

I've also seen LWHs sell for under $100 with good BIN options. Same with complete ACHs with helmet lights. I was tempted by a salty ACH with a plastered on (via sweat/dust) 502nd Airborne cover for $120 a little while ago, and another time a seller had a $120 BIN for a large size ACH with a USGI multicam cover. Real ones do indeed sell from time to time for around $60-$70 if you watch close enough.

Anyway, just wanted to show you can get some great deals on the ACH, even with Ebay.

#8 14alpha

14alpha
  • Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 07:08 PM

I guess I'll just keep my eye on Ebay. Thanks everyone for all the help!

#9 hawkdriver

hawkdriver
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,549
  • 8,038 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 01:42 AM

I will keep my mouth shut :blink: I routinely find them for $60 to $70 and they are real helmets. Many people in the surplus market don't know the difference between ACH and PASGT, to them they are all "Kevlar" helmets. Keep your eyes open and you will find them for good prices. I personally wouldn't pay over $100 for an ACH now unless it was brand new, never worn. and then I wouldn't pay over $125 for it. And, unless "Salty" was handed to you by the vet with provenance, I wouldn't trust those either. I walked into a surplus store about a year ago and the owner was taking an old helmet cover, sewing and old removed set of SSI on the cover right there in front of me and Viola, "Combat worn".

#10 Sabrejet

Sabrejet
  • Members
    • Member ID: 8,022
  • 37,412 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 01:54 AM

2011_0727ACH0002.JPG

This is a mint/unissued example I bought here in the UK last month. If I was to obtain a a USGI night-vision mount, would it be supplied with the appropriate fixtures to attach it to the helmet? How easy / difficult a job is it?

Sabrejet

#11 hawkdriver

hawkdriver
  • Members
  • 8,038 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 02:19 AM

Not hard at all. Take that Major rank off, that isn't appropriate, rank isn't worn on the front anymore. There will be a vertical button hole in the material. Somewhere in that button hole area will be a screw hole in the helmet. The NVG mount will have a screw and a threaded nut on the back and it simply screws on.

#12 Sabrejet

Sabrejet
  • Members
  • 37,412 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 02:28 AM

Not hard at all. Take that Major rank off, that isn't appropriate, rank isn't worn on the front anymore. There will be a vertical button hole in the material. Somewhere in that button hole area will be a screw hole in the helmet. The NVG mount will have a screw and a threaded nut on the back and it simply screws on.

Thanks Hawk. I just put that rank patch there on a whim...it's not attached, just loosely slipped under the helmet band!

Ian

#13 hawkdriver

hawkdriver
  • Members
  • 8,038 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 02:30 AM

Actually, that would make a good display as it is for a Staff Major that was full of himself :w00t: Let all the surfs know who he was!

#14 joefriday22

joefriday22
  • Members
    • Member ID: 33,648
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 04:43 AM

Many people in the surplus market don't know the difference between ACH and PASGT, to them they are all "Kevlar" helmets. Keep your eyes open and you will find them for good prices.

Yes, I recently picked up a like new ACH w/ reversable woodland/DCU and sergeant stripes cover at a militaria show for $40. It was in a pile of PASGT helmets.

Rob

#15 1canpara

1canpara
  • Members
    • Member ID: 9,167
  • 3,623 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 05:28 AM

Would someone mind taking a minute to breakdown the acronyms PASGT, ACH, and MICH for me and what the differences are? My understanding is the PASGT is the earliest form of the kevlar lids, but I am unfamiliar with the others. :think:

From looking at them it appears that the liners and suspension systems are far-advanced from the early models but do the Marines and the Army use the same lids or do they each have their own versions?

I have an early PASGT but eventually would like to add the others to my collection just to have a complete set.

In Canada, our main combat helmet I believe is the CG 634 based on the French SPECTRA helmet, and although it resembles the US combat lids, it's quite different when you get them side by side.

Thanks guys,

Rick

#16 Sabrejet

Sabrejet
  • Members
  • 37,412 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 05:33 AM

MICH = Modular Integrated Combat Helmet....ACH = Advanced Combat helmet. They are different. The MICH is abbreviated to accomodate communications equipment.

Ian

#17 1canpara

1canpara
  • Members
    • Member ID: 9,167
  • 3,623 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 05:37 AM

MICH = Modular Integrated Combat Helmet....ACH = Advanced Combat helmet. They are different. The MICH is abbreviated to accomodate communications equipment.

Ian

Thanks Ian, I appreciate it. When you say 'abbreviated' do you mean 'cut-down' or not as deep a brim so they can get the headphones etc. to fit?

Rick

#18 HoovieDude

HoovieDude
  • Members
  • 3,950 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 05:40 AM

Ian, the MICH and ACH are essentially the same. MICH was what it was known as when it was being worn by the SOF community in the beginning. Once big Army adopted it, it became known as the ACH.

Rick, I am at work right now, so I cannot show my personal lids, but Im sure some of tge others can add pics of any they might have.

#19 joefriday22

joefriday22
  • Members
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 05:42 AM

Thanks Ian, I appreciate it. When you say 'abbreviated' do you mean 'cut-down' or not as deep a brim so they can get the headphones etc. to fit?

Rick

Yes, sort of..some are contoured more around the ear area to allow for headphones.

Rob

Edited by joefriday22, 25 August 2011 - 05:52 AM.

#20 Sabrejet

Sabrejet
  • Members
  • 37,412 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 06:05 AM

Rick

Hoovie's the guy who wore this stuff for real. I'll defer to his first hand experience!

#21 joefriday22

joefriday22
  • Members
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 07:54 AM

MICH_helmet.jpg

I had this model in mind when Sabrejet referenced the difference.

#22 Sabrejet

Sabrejet
  • Members
  • 37,412 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:15 AM

@ 1canpara / Rick. You mentioned the suspension being different from the old PASGT and you'd be right! It comprises of soft removeable pads which attach to velcro anchor points within the helmet. Like the PASGT, these ACH helmets are also sized.

2011_0727ACH0010.JPG

Ian

#23 HoovieDude

HoovieDude
  • Members
  • 3,950 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:35 AM

Hoovie's the guy who wore this stuff for real. I'll defer to his first hand experience!

Ian,
Thanks. But I must caveat that by saying I'am far from an expert. Like many who use the items that collectors and afficiandos for kit, etc..I know from using many of the items, but am not up on technical aspects of it all. Majority of it was just "stuff", to put it civil, I had to use and carry for the job not being real concerned with production runs, manufacturers and all the other details collectors like to dig into.

#24 Sabrejet

Sabrejet
  • Members
  • 37,412 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:45 AM

Ian,
Thanks. But I must caveat that by saying I'am far from an expert. Like many who use the items that collectors and afficiandos for kit, etc..I know from using many of the items, but am not up on technical aspects of it all. Majority of it was just "stuff", to put it civil, I had to use and carry for the job not being real concerned with production runs, manufacturers and all the other details collectors like to dig into.

I undertand exactly what you mean Hoovie. I can't envisage a WW2 GI being issued with an M1 and thinking to himself "Wow...I've got me a low-pressure St Clair liner!" It's just his helmet, like millions of others.

Ian :thumbsup:

#25 hawkdriver

hawkdriver
  • Members
  • 8,038 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 01:36 PM

Ian,
I am also at work and can't get to my references, but I think MICH stands for Modular Integrated Communications Helmet and is only called that when it has all the doo-dads for the SF communications systems, otherwise, it is a ACH or Advanced Combat Helmet.
Along with what Hoovie said, the only people that use the term MICH or MICH-Gallet, TC-2000, or anything other than ACH are the collectors. Go to a supply guy and ask for a MICH-Gallet and he will probably hand you a paper bag of dog crap.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users