• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#51 TrentRock

TrentRock
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,590
  • 141 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 12:20 PM

what other company's made V42's. I am very surprised that my father-inlaw would have a repro in his collection, is this a paul chuen, I don't know how to spell his name. Ive seen his knives on EBAY

I think Doyler meant this is a modern reproduction made by Case??
(I can't see any pictures http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/think.gif )

Look at the top 4 1992-98 CASE XX knives====>
The Devil's Brigade

#52 Johan Willaert

Johan Willaert
  • Members
    • Member ID: 92
  • 8,362 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 01:31 PM

OMG, look at those prices....

V42 On Ebay # 1

V42 On Ebay #2

#53 militariacollector

militariacollector
  • Members
    • Member ID: 289
  • 265 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 02:28 PM

OMG, look at those prices....

V42 On Ebay # 1

V42 On Ebay #2

Well I guess I won't be adding one of these to my collection anytime soon. For those prices I might just have to win the lottery.

#54 teltec01

teltec01
  • Members
    • Member ID: 186
  • 87 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 10:30 AM

Hi All,
My father was a member of the Force (in the Service Company). He passed in 2002 and I inherited his memento's, among which was his V-42. . It sat in my parents dresser all these years, I never knew he had it until my mother gave it to me after he died. It's stamped 'U.S. 508' (serial number??) and is in what I would consider good shape. I would like to upload some pictures, but it is limiting me to 150 kb and my pictures are larger then that. I will have to retake pictures or is ther another way to upload images?

Based on what this knife may be worth, I am considering parting with it, but I would want this to go to a true collector who cares about the Force and it's history and who could maybe give me some more backround information (more then I have already researched). Dad never talked about his outfit or his service. How would I go about finding a collector in my area or upcoming Militaria shows in my area?

Hello,...If you contact me I might be able to provide you with a copy of your father's original FSSF identification photograph, it would have been taken in 1942/43.

#55 skeeterb

skeeterb
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 13,226
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 03:18 AM

Hello,...If you contact me I might be able to provide you with a copy of your father's original FSSF identification photograph, it would have been taken in 1942/43.

New forum member,been reading the V42 forum as I bought a fake off ebay 5 weeks ago and the seller said too bad I'm stuck with it.

My dad lost his in combat. William H Berndt SP. Glasco Kansas. I have a lot of dads stuff. But not the FSSF identification papers.

Still looking for an original V 42. Thanks. Brett Berndt.

Oh, dad was from the 82nd airborne, he was a jump instructor and master parachute rigger.

Edited by skeeterb, 16 July 2010 - 03:21 AM.

#56 teltec01

teltec01
  • Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 04:12 PM

New forum member,been reading the V42 forum as I bought a fake off ebay 5 weeks ago and the seller said too bad I'm stuck with it.

My dad lost his in combat. William H Berndt SP. Glasco Kansas. I have a lot of dads stuff. But not the FSSF identification papers.

Still looking for an original V 42. Thanks. Brett Berndt.

Oh, dad was from the 82nd airborne, he was a jump instructor and master parachute rigger.

I checked my files and I have a very nice copy of your dad's FSSF Identification Photograph, it was taken in 1942/43 at Ft, W. H. Harrison in Helena Montana. And you are correct your dad was a Parachute Rigger assigned to the Service Company. The only members of the Service Company who were awarded their jump wings by the FSSF were the Parachute Riggers, and they were a very small group of men. If you contact me I'll gladly send you a free high scan copy of your father's ID photo.

#57 skeeterb

skeeterb
  • New Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 04:15 PM

I checked my files and I have a very nice copy of your dad's FSSF Identification Photograph, it was taken in 1942/43 at Ft, W. H. Harrison in Helena Montana. And you are correct your dad was a Parachute Rigger assigned to the Service Company. The only members of the Service Company who were awarded their jump wings by the FSSF were the Parachute Riggers, and they were a very small group of men. If you contact me I'll gladly send you a free high scan copy of your father's ID photo.

Still shopping for an original V42, so if someone has an extra even in poor condition please contact Brett Berndt, 785 820 7340.

Heading up to Helena for the 64th reunion, maybe the last, (I hope not).

I know a local FSSF collector that has tracked every name listed on the official roster, like a hound dog trying to tree a coon. He begged my mom for everything dad had, uniform (mint) medals, jump wings, lanyard, 3 bronze stars, his P38 brought back. I got that right after he passed.

I have official FSSF documents, classified paperwork, paratrooper training documents, steps to the proper rigging of the chute. Photos of fort William Henry Harrison. Combat photos, Nazi propaganda leaflets. WWII Newspaper headlines of all the major stories of WWII.

This was a special group of hero's. !800 original members.... 400 came back.

I have a nice fake to sell or trade. # .155 U.S. Case. No sheath.

Thanks for dads ID photo. I've made 10 full size prints to frame and give to my family for Christmas. God Bless you all. Brett Berndt.

#58 doyler

doyler
  • Members
    • Member ID: 342
  • 33,461 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 04:26 PM

Still shopping for an original V42, so if someone has an extra even in poor condition please contact Brett Berndt, 785 820 7340.

Heading up to Helena for the 64th reunion, maybe the last, (I hope not).

I know a local FSSF collector that has tracked every name listed on the official roster, like a hound dog trying to tree a coon. He begged my mom for everything dad had, uniform (mint) medals, jump wings, lanyard, 3 bronze stars, his P38 brought back. I got that right after he passed.

I have official FSSF documents, classified paperwork, paratrooper training documents, steps to the proper rigging of the chute. Photos of fort William Henry Harrison. Combat photos, Nazi propaganda leaflets. WWII Newspaper headlines of all the major stories of WWII.

This was a special group of hero's. !800 original members.... 400 came back.

I have a nice fake to sell or trade. # .155 U.S. Case. No sheath.

Thanks for dads ID photo. I've made 10 full size prints to frame and give to my family for Christmas. God Bless you all. Brett Berndt.

Skeeter

Welcome aboard.

Can you post a picture of your V42 for refferance?Sorry to here you had bought a bad one.Im surprised you couldnt file a claim through ppal.

Looking forward to seeing or hearing more on your fathers service.

RON

Best Wishes

Edited by doyler, 01 August 2010 - 04:27 PM.

#59 doyler

doyler
  • Members
  • 33,461 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 04:59 PM

:thumbsup:

My V42 bought 2000 dollars five years ago on Ebay.
The small strap sheath was changed at a time unknown.

Have you any idea to give a beautiful appearance to the scabbard which was heavily greased?

Regards
Ben from Cherbourg

Ben

not much you can do to the sheath once treated.Appears to have been treated with a wax based product.I suppose you could try stripping it down with acetone or similiar product but to me this will do more damage than good.

RD

#60 SLEV2252

SLEV2252
  • Members
    • Member ID: 8,261
  • 181 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 11:01 AM

Hi Guys,I thought i'd add pics of my V42.I bought this several years ago from Ron Flook and it is the actual knife that features on page 185 of his book British and Commonwealth military knives.I wondered if anyone can comment on the sheath as although it has been with the knife for many years it does not seem to be exactly the same as all the others i have seen other knives in.It did not come with the original keeper but i have found a period one that works well.The front has a skull and cross bones that looks period and has the initials FJH.I'm hopeing that one of the FSSF experts with records may be able to match the initials to an actual person.
Thanks,Steve.

Attached Images

• phpmRikOzPM.jpg
  • phpIQ6o6wPM.jpg
  • phpwSSin4PM.jpg

#61 skeeterb

skeeterb
  • New Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 03:52 PM

IMG_2113_edited_2.jpg

V42 fake.

Sorry for the late posting of photos. This is the V42 I paid $1,000.00 for on ebay without using Pay Pal.

Learning how to post photos here. Every site has something a little different. One photo at a time. Brett.

#62 skeeterb

skeeterb
  • New Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 03:56 PM

IMG_2114_edited_2.jpg

#63 kjones5452

kjones5452
  • Members
    • Member ID: 7,883
  • 2,305 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 03:58 PM

OUCH!!!
I KNOW that hurt.

#64 skeeterb

skeeterb
  • New Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 04:15 PM

One member called me to say he bought one in poor condition at an estate auction. The knife was missing the leather between the handle and the blade. It probably came loose and was cut off at some point.

My dad served in the FSSF and lost his in hand to hand combat.

Looking to find a replacement to honor my dad. Brett Berndt. 785 820 7340.

#65 teltec01

teltec01
  • Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 03:06 PM

Hi Guys,I thought i'd add pics of my V42.I bought this several years ago from Ron Flook and it is the actual knife that features on page 185 of his book British and Commonwealth military knives.I wondered if anyone can comment on the sheath as although it has been with the knife for many years it does not seem to be exactly the same as all the others i have seen other knives in.It did not come with the original keeper but i have found a period one that works well.The front has a skull and cross bones that looks period and has the initials FJH.I'm hopeing that one of the FSSF experts with records may be able to match the initials to an actual person.
Thanks,Steve.

Hello Steve,...Beautiful looking V42 you have, as for the sheath it is different than the three original ones in my collection. The main differences between yours and mine are, your sheath has 10 round rivets while mine has 14 diamond shaped rivets, the snap keeper on my sheaths are on the right side yours is on the left, and finally the throat of your sheath has 9 metal belt staples while mine have 8.

I checked the roster of the FSSF and I came across a Forceman with the initials F.J.H, his name id F.J. Hill and he was from Havelock Ontario. I hope this information helps you out a little.

#66 SLEV2252

SLEV2252
  • Members
    • Member ID: 8,261
  • 181 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 07:35 AM

Hi teltec,thanks for your reply,i don't suppose there were many members with the same initials so perhaps it was him.I will try and see if Ron has any more info when i see him next but i'm not too hopeful.
Steve.

#67 Matelot

Matelot
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 27,983
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 12:36 PM

Hi teltec,thanks for your reply,i don't suppose there were many members with the same initials so perhaps it was him.I will try and see if Ron has any more info when i see him next but i'm not too hopeful.
Steve.

Rather embarrassed to post this here, but, am having a bit of a problem identifying the maker of this repro V42 i picked up a while ago.

I've read this thread from start to finish and am still having a problem identifying it. So, anyone brave enough to make a suggestion,please?

If anything, it'll make a nice letter opener, :lol: :lol:

Many thanks, Matelot!

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n27/BigGayAl_01/DSC05964.jpg
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n27/BigGayAl_01/DSC05965.jpg
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n27/BigGayAl_01/DSC05956.jpg
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n27/BigGayAl_01/DSC05950.jpg

#68 kfields

kfields
  • Members
    • Member ID: 60
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 01:17 PM

Here's my attempt to post "Matelot's" photos directly here...

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n27/Big...01/DSC05964.jpg

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n27/Big...01/DSC05965.jpg
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n27/Big...01/DSC05956.jpg
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n27/Big...01/DSC05950.jpg

Edited by kfields, 17 March 2011 - 01:20 PM.

#69 doyler

doyler
  • Members
  • 33,461 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 04:43 PM

Rather embarrassed to post this here, but, am having a bit of a problem identifying the maker of this repro V42 i picked up a while ago.

I've read this thread from start to finish and am still having a problem identifying it. So, anyone brave enough to make a suggestion,please?

If anything, it'll make a nice letter opener, :lol: :lol:

Many thanks, Matelot!

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n27/BigGayAl_01/DSC05964.jpg
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n27/BigGayAl_01/DSC05965.jpg
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n27/BigGayAl_01/DSC05956.jpg
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n27/BigGayAl_01/DSC05950.jpg

Looks like a Paul Chen copy that has been artificially aged.Appears the CASE was stamped to decieve.The Chens are all over ebay.
RD

RD

Edited by doyler, 17 March 2011 - 04:45 PM.

#70 Matelot

Matelot
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 27,983
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 04:47 AM

Guys first off, thanks for your help! I did try to re-size the photos but obviously to no avail.. :ermm: ;)

So, could be a Paul Chen copy. No worries, i just wanted to see what you guys thought of it. ;)

Matelot

#71 Broccoli

Broccoli
  • Members
    • Member ID: 9,248
  • 463 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 05:42 PM

One member called me to say he bought one in poor condition at an estate auction. The knife was missing the leather between the handle and the blade. It probably came loose and was cut off at some point.
My dad served in the FSSF and lost his in hand to hand combat.
Looking to find a replacement to honor my dad. Brett Berndt. 785 820 7340.

Hello Brett,
are still looking for an original V42? I met a FSSF collector on Iola, WI military show in August 2011 - he was selling one original knife in a repro sheat - I do not remember the price - I am pretty sure it was between 2000 and 3000 USD. I was looking thru the photos from the show now, but sadly I did not make a picture of the knife. If you are still interested, I can try to find a bussiness card he gave me. Let me know.
Best regards
Frankie

P.S.-great thread, by the way... I'd love to add this knife to my collection, once...

Edited by Broccoli, 18 December 2011 - 05:46 PM.

#72 J. M. C.

J. M. C.
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 163,126
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 09:30 AM

Here's a nice one from my collection for the reference. 

:D

Attached Images

• V42.jpg
  • V42 - 2.jpg

#73 J. M. C.

J. M. C.
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 163,126
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 09:31 AM

Couple more shots...

:D