Photo

WHAT TO POST IN THE LATEST FINDS SECTION UPDATED 8/13/15!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 22
  • 21,818 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 02:36 PM

Gents, we have an issue to address

This forum has become a very large subforum that is almost impossible to maintain. So I want to take a moment to lay out what this section was meant to be...it is meant as a place to show your latest finds of many categories. For example, the misc haul from the gun show or flea market. We're seeing a lot of single items here, such as a helmet or a uniform. Those would best be posted in the appropriate subforums of those categories, it would maximize views and replies from collectors who share your interests

We mods try to sort through this place periodically and move old, single item/type item posts to the appropriate subforum so they can be archieved for future reference. However, as you can see by the 212+ pages, we just can't keep up between our regular subforum duties and out personal lives and careers. Please help us control this place by limiting your posts to assortments, misc, etc, and posting individual items, even if a new find, in the appropriate subforums

Thanks

Edited by Brig, 09 June 2012 - 06:16 PM.

#2 gwb123

gwb123

ADMINISTRATOR

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 1,506
  • 17,110 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 06:01 PM

We also have a section for GROUPINGS should anyone come home with a batch of items all from the same individual or unit.

Thanks for helping to keep the Forum organized! We certainly want people to be able to find your treasures on here long after you've brought them home and shared them with us.

#3 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
  • 21,818 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 06:52 PM

We're not seeing an improvement, gents. Consider this fair notice, if this gets any more out of hand this forum will be shut down, the threads sorted, and the subforum itself removed

#4 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
  • 21,818 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 07:03 AM

might I add, that following the suggestions on this link... http://www.usmilitar...?showtopic=5573 also aids greatly in the Mods' ability to sort and control this forum

#5 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
  • 21,818 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 06:18 PM

Gentlemen...due to the lack of improvement in the above mentioned areas, the administration has set a 30 Day limit on this forum. Similar to the for sale forums, after 30 days of inactivity, your post will be deleted. We highly encourage you to post your items in the appropriate subforum category instead, for longevity and use to future researchers.

#6 carbinephalen

carbinephalen
  • Members
    • Member ID: 14,217
  • 3,132 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 06:25 PM

Nice!! :thumbsup: go mods!

#7 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
  • 21,818 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 04:25 PM

ALSO...single item posts here are likely to be moved to their appropriate subforum as soon as mods see them to reduce clutter and attempt to preserve them for future use.

#8 cutiger83

cutiger83
  • VOLUNTEERS
    • Member ID: 5,589
  • 7,517 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 12:23 PM

It has been over 3 years since this post has been "bumped".  Daniel and I have been trying to move items from the "latest finds" section to the appropriate areas. There are a LOT of posts in this section that are specific items such as a purple heart or a group of patches.

If you have a specific item, please post it in the appropriate area instead of the "latest finds" section.

...Kat

#9 doinworkinvans

doinworkinvans
  • VOLUNTEERS
    • Member ID: 96,964
  • 4,471 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 12:44 PM

Thanks for all your help!

We are trying to keep this lovely place as user friendly as possible!

-Daniel

#10 BEAST

BEAST
  • Members
    • Member ID: 203
  • 10,202 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 02:01 PM

I recently, intentionally, misused the latest finds forum. I started a thread in our 19th century forum for an ID'd Span-Am group that I recently obtained. I think it sat there for almost a week with no comments, so I posted a shorter version with a link in latest finds. Here it received several comments in short order. While I read the newly posted threads, I understand that some of our members look through particular forums first. I think latest finds is one of the most popular and receives much of the attention of our members.

Do the items posted in latest finds still disappear after 30 days? I think that is a great idea and would help clean-up that forum.

Edited by BEAST, 13 August 2015 - 02:01 PM.

#11 doinworkinvans

doinworkinvans
  • VOLUNTEERS
    • Member ID: 96,964
  • 4,471 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 04:18 AM

I recently, intentionally, misused the latest finds forum. I started a thread in our 19th century forum for an ID'd Span-Am group that I recently obtained. I think it sat there for almost a week with no comments, so I posted a shorter version with a link in latest finds. Here it received several comments in short order. While I read the newly posted threads, I understand that some of our members look through particular forums first. I think latest finds is one of the most popular and receives much of the attention of our members.

Do the items posted in latest finds still disappear after 30 days? I think that is a great idea and would help clean-up that forum.

They do not disappear per se'

They get sorted to their appropriate topics. 

That's what Kat and I and other curators are working on....as well as getting rid of all the dead photo links :blink:

Edited by doinworkinvans, 14 August 2015 - 04:18 AM.

#12 BEAST

BEAST
  • Members
    • Member ID: 203
  • 10,202 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 05:30 AM

They do not disappear per se'

They get sorted to their appropriate topics. 

That's what Kat and I and other curators are working on....as well as getting rid of all the dead photo links :blink:

Thanks Daniel for the clarification, I thought they would be deleted from the system which would save storage.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users