Thoughts on my 1943 Tru Temper Machette

ArchangelDM

Hi Guys

just bought this from a Uk based web site, its a tru temper 1943 , with what im told is an original leather sheath. Can someone please advise on blade condition and the leather sheath as i paid $150 and i can send it back if its no good. Was told this style of steel was used in the pacific theatre by marines mostly.

post-8861-1312973795.jpg

post-8861-1312973801.jpg

post-8861-1312973807.jpg

Hi Guys

just bought this from a Uk based web site, its a tru temper 1943 , with what im told is an original leather sheath. Can someone please advise on blade condition and the leather sheath as i paid $150 and i can send it back if its no good. Was told this style of steel was used in the pacific theatre by marines mostly.

post-8861-1312973838.jpg

post-8861-1312973846.jpg

post-8861-1312973854.jpg

Still-A-Marine

The True Temper machete looks right. They were also made with a green handle.

There were several makers of the WWII 18" machete. I've heard them referred to as the M1842 but I don't know if the TT-18-B is considered a M1942 or if the M1942 is a Collins only designation.

No idea about the scabbard. It seems to me that the scabbards for the 18" machetes were either canvas or plastic. There are several members of this forum who know a lot about machetes. I'm sure one will be able to better answer your questions.

Bill

The True Temper machete looks right. They were also made with a green handle.

There were several makers of the WWII 18" machete. I've heard them referred to as the M1842 but I don't know if the TT-18-B is considered a M1942 or if the M1942 is a Collins only designation.

No idea about the scabbard. It seems to me that the scabbards for the 18" machetes were either canvas or plastic. There are several members of this forum who know a lot about machetes. I'm sure one will be able to better answer your questions.

Bill

Thanks bill I know the green handle machetes were later after 1944 late war. I have not seen any with the leather scabbard and I thought it was maybe a rare piece. As your right they were mostly canvas and plastic. Also I was told these early ones were common in the early pacific theatre. Sgt basilogne was noted to have used one against the Japanese armed with a machete and his colt 45, when the japanese broke through the lines. Talk about close quarter combat

This sheath has been slightly discussed in the past, but no firm information has yet been found to my knowledge - but machetes are not my strong point.

It does not appear to be the US issue leather scabbard. They were normally maker marked and dated on the back, and had the standard double M1910 hook for belt attachment. For some photos of the US standard version, see this thread (Robin's post #8, top sheath).

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...leather+machete

Yours appears to be the type that started the thread. it is further looked at in this thread

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...leather+machete

Nothing was settled in these threads, but other remarks that I have seen indicate that this may be a Dutch issue sheath for the machetes used post WW2 in the Dutch East Indies.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can add to this discussion.

Hi Guys

I'm definitely not more knowledgeable than Gary, but I can add a couple of things.

I'm also of the opinion that the sheath is not USGI for the reasons Gary listed (no markings, no hooks, etc.)

Here are some offered by WPG similar to yours. They do have the hooks, but I don't see any markings on them like all USGI field gear should. :whistling: P.S. No, they are not "sterile."

http://ww2-living-history.com/shopexd.asp?id=216

The price appears way too inflated to me, but I'm speaking from this side of the pond. If you like True Temper machetes, Keith has a couple of them for sale for $40 ea. :

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...howtopic=117457

The bit of information that was passed on to you about "this style of steel was used in the pacific theatre by marines mostly" is a hilarious figment of someone's imagination. All machetes had to meet the same specs and Collins was the main supplier.

If you want a USMC scabbard, get one marked so. Make sure it doesn't say "SWI" on it--those are repops.

post-70-1313017709.jpg

They were normally maker marked and dated on the back, and had the standard double M1910 hook for belt attachment.

Yes, that's right.

post-75-1313054069.jpg

Thanks guys

Seller has accepted the return and has taken it off the website as it was detailed wrong In the listing.

Thanks for all the help