----------------------------------------------------------------------------post ww1 collar EGA's

teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

Upon first seeing these... thought this set would likely auction for a reasonable bid.... oh so wrong. Someone had a good day at the market and spent $740 for these heavily worn early 20's collars. These are of the Gemsco pattern (shape of molded contents), not marked other than Sterling and roll pin catch. Heavily "roll stempled" across the globe, and wing & feet configuration witch is reminiscent of those around 1912.

Sadly the wear is so extensive, value is diminished as they would likely not be a desirable element for a uniform display, but worthy of placing in an EGA collection as a period example. Frankly cannot determine if these are for dress or service. Any thoughts.....?

post_ww1_EGA_office_collars_front.jpg

Agreed that they are not a great matched set and the coloring lacks the aesthetics that you would normally like to see. Value?? Depends on the buyer, I just sold a set of these but with earlier style catch and continents for $880, they were unmarked with some tarnish, but you could definately tell they were a matched set and a dress set at that. By the way, I think I have a name associated with where all of these EGAs are coming from by this one seller. I am pretty sure these are from an East Coast collection that is being broken up, the seller is selling them for that person. The collector used to buy heavily on E-bay, and no longer does. Anyone know who I am referring to??

Mike

teufelhunde.ret
Agreed that they are not a great matched set and the coloring lacks the aesthetics that you would normally like to see. Value?? Depends on the buyer, I just sold a set of these but with earlier style catch and continents for $880, they were unmarked with some tarnish, but you could definately tell they were a matched set and a dress set at that. By the way, I think I have a name associated with where all of these EGAs are coming from by this one seller. I am pretty sure these are from an East Coast collection that is being broken up, the seller is selling them for that person. The collector used to buy heavily on E-bay, and no longer does. Anyone know who I am referring to??

Mike

sending PM

Here's a M1904 pair from my collection which is virtually identicle. All is Silver, and not a trace of gilt to bt found on them. They have a top-drop-in catch (one is missing) and the kicker is they marked "SILVER". This likely puts them in the pre-1906 era. Fred B., he 's writing a book about EGAs you know, has taken pics of them and believes they are early Staff emblems. I have owned them for 30+ years and always found them to be unusual variations.

Silver_M1904_Collars_OBV.JPGsilver_M1904_Collars_REV.JPG

Bob,

Yes I agree, there are ones made with no gold, for the epaulettes (I believe that the regs called for an all silver emblem). The first set in this post however do appear to have gold that has worn off. I believe those are collar emblems. Yours do appear to be the all silver kind. I have no idea when the practice started and stopped however or which regs say what about it.

Mike