Kingston U.S. 45 Metal General Purpose Pocket Knife

Still-A-Marine

Still-A-Marine

I just got a Kingston Metal General Purpose Pocket Knife.

It has KINGSTON on one side of the bail and U.S. 45 (no dash mark between the S and 45) on the other. The scales are not marked. The main blade is marked. It is either U.S.A. or USA without periods. I can't tell by the pictures. I also just noticed the KINGSTON is inverted. What I find especially interesting about this is that it is not on the chart Gary posted with his 1957 Camillus.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...howtopic=117638

If I read the chart correctly the bail should be marked KINGSTON on one side and U.S.-45 on the other side. The blade should be marked MADE IN / U.S.A. where as mine only has U.S.A. or USA.

Any thoughts?

Bill

post-4347-1312902750.jpg

I notice the screw driver blade doesn't have the small post on the side that I've seen on others. I posted my steel knives here:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...howtopic=108971

and the two early ones (one that has the screw driver blade on the same side as the main blade and the other early one has the KINGSTON on the bail with the screw driver blade opposite the main blade) both have the small post on the side of the screw driver blade.

Still-A-Marine
I notice the screw driver blade doesn't have the small post on the side that I've seen on others. I posted my steel knives here:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...howtopic=108971

and the two early ones (one that has the screw driver blade on the same side as the main blade and the other early one has the KINGSTON on the bail with the screw driver blade opposite the main blade) both have the small post on the side of the screw driver blade.

That slipped right by me. If I had noticed I would not have pursued this knife. Right now I am thinking it has either been reworked or is a commercial item.

Bill

I was thinking maybe one of their commercial offerings, maybe late in '45 - early '46 when they had a supply of the marked bails still on hand. Of course that would be pure speculation, I could only guess as I believe Kingstons might be hard to nail down due to how they sold the knives commercially after the war. Variations are likely all across the board with them.

Still-A-Marine

So are the markings OK?

1) U.S. 45 verses U.S.-45

2) USA or U.S.A. on main blade verses MADE IN / U.S.A.

3) Lack of U.S. MARINE CORPS or U.S. on scales

I have 7 days to return once I've received it. Of course its not an expensive knife. I still can't believe I missed the lack of the pin. I was concentrating so much on the markings I completely overlooked the obvious.

Bill

Ok, here is one of mine. Marked KINGSTON and U.S. 45 on the clevis/bail/shackle. Can Opener is marked CAN OPENER, main blade USA. No stud on the screwdriver/can opener.

I have no real answer as to whether this is WW2 military or post war commercial. However, I THINK this one is early, primarily because the blade arrangement is the 1st style with the screwdriver/cap lifter on the same end as the main blade, which was reversed in later production. Possibly before the stud was added to that blade. The Army version of all the WW2 knives were not marked - that is, there is no US on the scales, only the U.S. MARINE CORPS version was so marked.

post-2-0-20247400-1403022657.jpg

post-2-0-60401700-1403022655.jpg

post-2-0-00126000-1403022654.jpg

Still-A-Marine
Ok, here is one of mine. Marked KINGSTON and U.S. 45 on the clevis/bail/shackle. Can Opener is marked CAN OPENER, main blade USA. No stud on the screwdriver/can opener.

I have no real answer as to whether this is WW2 military or post war commercial. However, I THINK this one is early, primarily because the blade arrangement is the 1st style with the screwdriver/cap lifter on the same end as the main blade, which was reversed in later production. Possibly before the stud was added to that blade. The Army version of all the WW2 knives were not marked - that is, there is no US on the scales, only the U.S. MARINE CORPS version was so marked.

Thanks Gary. Another interesting observation that these could be "pre-stud" versions.

Bill

• 5 years later...

Here is a pic of my knife which looks very similar except it lacks the US 45 on the bail. My bail is unmarked. It does have the same 1st blade configuration, can opener marked CAN OPENER, wide early war punch, tang marked USA, nail nick is in the center of blade, crinked blades, brass liners, and both have no stud on the screwdriver.

I tend to agree with Gary in that the majority of features tend to be early war. Maybe a no stud and experimental can opener variety. The USA tang stamp looks just like the USA tang stamps in the 1945 trials/study that Dustin posted. Dustin, is there a copy of a 1944 or earlier trials/study for the Army?

post-77723-0-47000700-1487342653_thumb.jpg

not to hijack, more of a piggyback...can I get your opinions on this knife? nothing on the ring, no US on sides,

has a brass center divider....

IS it USGI and age?

I have had it for awhile...has been in my tool box...thinking it was civilian...

Thanks much

john

post-155518-0-03547600-1487381435_thumb.jpg

Phantomfixer,

Because your knife is a first arrangement version, I would say it is very likely, if not definitely, a WWII knife. Many, maybe most, of the Army knives like yours were not marked. Yours has the USA mark on the blade. That's consistent with Mike Wiedemann's chart of knife comparisons. Also, according to Dustin's lengthy post on these knives, there are photos of these knives with and without the thumb stud on the screw driver blade.

Marv

The Kingston blade marked with the "U.S." markings would be early WW2 issue, since it still has the brass liners. Brass was eliminated from knife manufacturing, due to it being a strategic material. The one I have is identical to yours with all of the same markings.