Restoration of my 1942 Ford GPW Jeep

zepher11

Johan Willaert

Here's another example done by a French friend...

USA blue drab upon leaving the factory... White in a US motorpool, probably in England... French number on front bumper once delivered to the French...

The blue's actually a bit too high up, but you get the message...

Blue wasn't visible from a distance which is why it was initially done...

For correct font style markings, I can recommend Dutchmen Robert de Ruytter who also make PERFECT datplates...

http://rdrnl.home.xs4all.nl/dataplates.htm

http://rdrnl.home.xs4all.nl/4UWPStencils.html

post-92-0-18745500-1384361446.jpg

Johan Willaert

Another possibility if you don't know the original hood USA number or if your jeep is composed of parts from different vehicles, is to use a so-called X-prefixed USA number...

This seems to have been more or less common on early jeeps that were delivered to England (lendlease or not) and which were then delivered to the US Forces...

Possible hood number being USA X-21345

See also this page of my website for more on these X numbers

http://www.theliberator.be/liberator1.htm

Great examples, Johan! I do know my hood number. I recovered it via paint stripper. It was a light blue, but it wasn't the factory blue drab application. My hood number is 20104134. Your friend's Jeep looks really nice. I like the detail that he went to in completing it. The "S" bridge plate is interesting as well. I had not seen one like that before, or I just never noticed.

Thank you again for the assistance.

Zeph

Johan Willaert

Yo're welcome... And of course since you know the Original hood number for your GPW, you should use that in blue drab...

Then maybe upon marking it with the unit insignia, you could apply white numbers over it...

I contacted Robert de Ruyter regarding data plates and stencils. I e-mailed him and he got right back to me. That's refreshing. I have been trying to order canvas for my GPW and WC52 since July, but the provider won't return my messages. I take this to be a good sign!

I completed a little sandblasting today on the interior of the tub. I hope to primer and paint OD in this area tomorrow if all goes well:

Sandblast_01.jpg

Sandblast_02.jpg

Sandblast_03.jpg

Zeph

AAAAARGHHH!!!

The suspense is killing me, Zeph!!

Ones you have finished this project I will download all the pictures so I can view them as a slide show.

Will you be offering T-shirts of the Zeph Mobile? ;)

I managed to get the primer on the tub today. I spent a bit of time trying to noodle through how to actually paint the whole tub at once. With it mounted on the rotisserie, I just couldn’t figure out how to manage it. Anyway, after a while I went with the configuration in the photos. This allowed me to put the primer on both the inside and outside at the same time. I’m sure others have a better way, but this seemed to work for me.

I was going to paint the OD, but I found a couple of things I want to correct on the tail panel. The tail panel has indentations from the spot welding of the inner structure. I don’t know if I should fill them in or leave them as is. They are very noticeable. I don’t recall if my original panel had these showing or not. Can anyone clue me in here? Should they stay or should they go? Anyway, I will need to again sand the whole tub before I paint the OD. Boy, I sanded a lot today...and it is not fun:

Tub_01.JPG

Tub_03.JPG

Tub_06.JPG

After all the metal work and the problems I went through reconstructing the entire pioneer section, I must say I am happy with how it turned out:

Tub_07.JPG

Zeph

Zeph,

Great updates! This is getting really exciting seeing you get so far on the body. It looks great!

....Kat

Thanks Kat! I can't wait to shoot the OD over the primer. If the planets align it will hopefully happen this weekend!

Zeph

Well, I didn't get too much accomplished today. I was hoping to paint the OD today, but the sanding of the tub took me quite a while. It's surprising how many nooks and crannies are in the tub. :) The weather has been extremely windy here also, so I didn't want to paint it today since my paint booth is the great outdoors. Plus, I may rig up a canopy to try to keep the bugs out of the final paint job. I probably had about ten bugs get stuck in the primer, but that wasn't a problem and they are easy to deal with. I know it's just a Jeep, but I would like to make it look fairly decent at least once:

GPW_Sand_01.jpg

GPW_Sand_02.jpg

GPW_Sand_04.jpg

All sanded, cleaned and ready for some of my favorite color:

GPW_Sand_03.jpg

Zeph

the sanding of the tub took me quite a while. It's surprising how many nooks and crannies are in the tub.

I know it's just a Jeep, but I would like to make it look fairly decent at least once:

All sanded, cleaned and ready for some of my favorite color:

Zeph,

I am just curious...did you do a combination of power and hand sanding? How did you sand the jeep?

It is not just a Jeep! This is your baby! It is a labor of love :love:

You are getting so close that you must be getting a little impatient! :D

Good luck! Thanks for the updates....kat

Hi Kat,

I know, I'm just psyching myself out just in case I muff the paint job and then I won't feel so bad. :lol:

Sanding wise, I hand sanded it all. I smoothed the primer down with some 150 grit sand paper first, and then I went over that with 220 grit on all of the mostly flat spots. I used a soft sanding block with the paper. After all that, I used scotch brite pad over the whole thing including all of the areas I couldn't really get the sand paper in. Which seemed like a lot of areas!

I hope to paint today. The wind finally has died down, but now the temp is well below freezing this morning. However, it should be near 70 later...that should reactivate the bugs just in time for painting! ;) Fingers crossed...

Zeph

Monumental day today. At least for me. I finally laid down the OD this afternoon. I had a canopy in reserve that I employed as a paint booth. It worked really good and it kept the bugs and the hair, etc... out of the paint. Not one bug or imperfection in the paint. I can't believe how well it turned out! Now I'm rethinking the installing of the wrinkly hood and fenders. Oh well, Maybe it will look okay.

I think I will let the tub sit in the canopy for a few days. It actually gets pretty warm in there, so it may be good to let her bake a bit in there. The pictures don’t do it justice as it is inside and a little dark:

GPW_Paint_Day_01.jpg

GPW_Paint_Day_02.jpg

GPW_Paint_Day_03.jpg

GPW_Paint_Day_04.jpg

GPW_Paint_Day_05.jpg

GPW_Paint_Day_06.jpg

Zeph

It looks amazing! How many years has it taken you to perfect your painting skills? :) I love the way you have it hung so you can spray it. That was a great idea.

Just curious, how long did it take to paint the entire body?

...Kat

It looks amazing! How many years has it taken you to perfect your painting skills? :) I love the way you have it hung so you can spray it. That was a great idea.

Just curious, how long did it take to paint the entire body?

...Kat

Hi Kat,

I think I'm still perfecting my painting skills. Just when I think I have it all figured out I get thrown for a loop. During this rebuild, over the past two years, several items I have been using have been discontinued. The paint I started with was discontinued. Then the reducer I was using for the paint was banned in California. Next, the primer I was using was discontinued. Actually, today was the first time I used the OD paint with the new reducer and it was a lot different. The paint was not going on very well initially which had me hustling to figure it out. It seemed to dry a lot faster than the old reducer and not spread out and be smooth like I was used to. Then to top it off, as I was painting the floor the lid on the paint gun came loose and spilled big drops of paint all over the floor and on the side of the tub. Believe me, that really stressed me out but I didn't panic and fixed it on the fly and it actually turned out really well.

Probably the most difficult areas to paint were under the dash, inside the glove box and the insides of the tool boxes. One false move trying to spray inside and one can accidently shoot too much paint on the outside area and make it run. I only had one area that started to run on the outside part of the tub This was on the tail panel. I fixed that before it ran too far and it turned out well also.

Once I figured out the new reducer, it took me about an hour and a half to paint the whole tub. I think I had to mix seven separate batches of paint during that stretch. Thank you red Solo cups. Of course, I have to mix the paint fast. If one doesn't get it mixed within a few minutes, the cups just melt...expecially with this new reducer. Overall, I sprayed on three nice coats of OD on the outside of the tub. I know I will have some areas inside the tub I missed that I won't see until I get the tub in the light of day, but I really tried to get everything as best I could.

Thank you for the kind compliments!

Zeph

Zeph,

Still need to drill 4 holes in the backpanel for the wiring clips

I suppose script GPW had those too..

Yes, thanks Johan. I have those four and one or two left to drill in the pioneer section for the fuel sending unit wire. I thought I would figure those out as I was wiring the tub. My original rear panel had the four holes. I recall grinding the rusted screws out to remove the wiring on the first day of disassembly. Aw, it seems like it was just yesterday... Good times. B)

I have a good reference photo off the net for assistance, and I think I have one for the fuel tank sending unit wire somewhere as well. If you see anything else I missed, please let me know. I'm now getting into that area of detail that I am least familiar with:

post-24058-0-34821800-1385390782.jpg

Zeph

Well, I need to clean out the garage today as we will be having Thanksgiving dinner in there on Thursday. Anyway, I have to move my GPW chassis, tub and a whole bunch of other stuff out of there. While I was at it, I thought I would shoot a little walk around video of the GPW project to date. Boy, those iPhones are pretty handy! The video also notes that there are now a minimum of 6 more holes I need to drill in the tub. I know there will be more as I get to the wiring and attachment of all of the final components. I don't know how good the quality will be, but here it is:

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Zeph

Zeph,

Seeing the walk around gets me even more excited about how close you are! Thanks so much for the video.

I LOVE Gracie and George. It looked like George's whole body was wagging in the beginning. :D

I hope you have a great Thanksgiving. Watch out for the family getting too close to the jeep! :)

...Kat

Great video, Zeph!!!

And suitable background music....There'll be bluebirds over....

Tracy and George don't seem to be too impressed though. :lol:

Thanks Sjef. I do enjoy listening to the period music out in the shop...a little mood music so to speak. George and Gracie were a little too distracted by the prospects of playing some ball. They just can't get enough. Often times I am laying under a vehicle and Gracie will kick the ball in there and hit me in the head. She's quite the good shot now.

Zeph,

Seeing the walk around gets me even more excited about how close you are! Thanks so much for the video.

I LOVE Gracie and George. It looked like George's whole body was wagging in the beginning. :D

I hope you have a great Thanksgiving. Watch out for the family getting too close to the jeep! :)

...Kat

Thanks Kat. I looked at the video again and George was doing the "Jitterbug." haha... I think we had just listened to the Andrews Sisters rendition of (I'm getting) Corns for my Country. They mention doing the Jitterbug in the lyrics. lol

Excellent work!

Very clean and well done.

RC

Thanks RC!