Photo

AWVS (American Women's Voluntary Services)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 US Victory Museum

US Victory Museum
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,529
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 10:03 AM

Since the Women's Services board has been a bit slow lately I'd like to put forth for your viewing pleasure.

This is one of the AWVS uniforms in my collection. It is the best conditioned one of the lot as it most likely
was a private purchase of higher quality material and superior dyes. Unlike the others I have that have
turned plum from sun fading or dye degradation, it still retains its original blue-gray appearance. This
photo was taken under poor lighting conditions and does not represent the true colour. The belt in the
picture is constructed from the same material as the uniform on one side, and is black leather on the
opposite side. At the time the picture was taken, I didn't know it was worn black side out; therefore it's
backwards. I recently acquired an AWVS sam brown belt to go with a uniform; however, as this one
came with its own belt I'll add it to one of my other uniforms.

Attached Images

• AWVS_Tunic___Skirt.jpg
  • AWVS_magazine_Ad..jpg

#2 craig_pickrall

craig_pickrall

Deceased Forum Co-Founder

• IN MEMORIAM
    • Member ID: 5
  • 11,253 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 12:55 PM

Very nice uniform.

Look here for more on this group:

http://www.usmilitar...?showtopic=1916

#3 disneydave

disneydave

Forum Subject Advisor

• FORUM SUBJECT ADVISOR
    • Member ID: 524
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 09:17 AM

Disney designed a Christmas card for them featuring Donald Duck. I'll post it soon.

#4 GLM *Deceased*

GLM *Deceased*

DECEASED

• IN MEMORIAM
    • Member ID: 84
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 12:45 AM

Here are two different sleeve insignia from this organization.

Gary

Attached Images

• AWVS_fr.jpg

#5 US Victory Museum

US Victory Museum
  • Members
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 11:07 AM

Photo #1 : 3 ladies in AWVS uniforms.
Photo #2 : Chesterfield cancer-stick ad.
photo #3 : Actress Hattie McDaniels (Gone w' the Wind) in her AWVS tent ...err ... Uniform.

Attached Images

• AWVS3_ladies_in_Uniform.jpg
  • AWVS_Chesterfield_ad.jpg
  • AWVS_Hattie_McDaniel.jpg

#6 US Victory Museum

US Victory Museum
  • Members
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 11:12 AM

Photo #4 : AWVS Sorority babes visiting the hospital.
Photo #5 : Joan Crawford has risen from the grave ( Blue Öyster Cult )
Photo #6 : War Bond Rally (sm pic).

Attached Images

• AWVS_hospital.jpg
  • AWVS_Jaon_Crawford.jpg
  • AWVS_War_Bonds__sm_pic_.jpg

#7 US Victory Museum

US Victory Museum
  • Members
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 10:58 PM

This example of an A.W.V.S. uniform shows a typical problem of poor dye materials.
The colour has degraded from a gray-blue to a nearly plum purple.

The collar Tabs, as well as the "State Headquarters" and "Chairman" indicate some level
of rank. Unfortunately material on the AWVS is sparse and I do not know whether there
are differing colours for differing ranks, or whether it's a generic officer's tab.

Attached Images

• AWVS__1_C.jpg
  • AWVS__2_C.jpg

#8 S_E_Craig

S_E_Craig
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,814
  • 83 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 05:49 AM

Photo #1 : 3 ladies in AWVS uniforms.
Photo #2 : Chesterfield cancer-stick ad.
photo #3 : Actress Hattie McDaniels (Gone w' the Wind) in her AWVS tent ...err ... Uniform.

wow, now that is interesting. I did not know that Hattie McDaniels was in the AWVS.
I am working on a collection that has people on stamps that where in the service or contributed to the cause, and the patches they wore, if they did wear any This is a intersting factoid for that collection. Thanks, I missed it when I read thorugh the bios of the people on stamps,

I thought I had some obsurce people listed, but I sure missed this one.

S_E_Craig

#9 JoAnntheGreat

JoAnntheGreat
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 172,332
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 09:13 AM

Hi!  I have been drooling over your uniforms and dying to ask you some questions, but just got approved to the forum.  I am a patternmaker and want to make a pattern of an AWVS uniform.  I could wing it but I have found that having a real garment to look at answers a million questions about construction.  I never harm a garment when copying it.  I am looking for a uniform I can either buy or "rent".  If rented it would be returned to the owner unharmed in any way.  If you are interested let me know.  If not perhaps you could answer some questions about the dimensions of it.  In any case, thanks so so much for putting this information here and keeping the uniform safe.  By the way, I can shed some light on the fading of the uniforms.  The problem is most likely with the "palm beach material" that was used so much in women's uniforms then.  Palm Beach is a blend of wool and rayon, with cotton sometimes added.  Palm Beach was not manufactured beyond the 1950s.  The blend of the wool to rayon was actually varied at the time depending on the area's weather where it was sold.  Rayon has many advantages but also many disadvantages.  Rayon is not particularly colorfast, the dyes being affected by light, perspiration, atmospheric gases, and water.  So rayon will take a dye very well but, over time, will exhibit almost extreme instability, even throughout the same garment.  I have a WWII summer American Red Cross uniform I am copying right now and the color variations within the tunic and skirt are characteristic of this.  It is also displaying yellowing along with color variation.  Anyway, if you could help me in my search I would be most appreciative.  Thanks, JoAnn

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users