Classic A/2/17 Cav Patches

gccook33

Thought I would post a couple versions of the classic A/2/17 Cav patch from Vietnam. This patch has been updated a few times over the last 20 years, most recently with an OIF Annihilator version replacing the VC with Saddam Hussein and an OEF version replacing him with a Taliban fighter. If anyone has any of these modern versions for sale or trade, I would very much like to add them to my air cav collection. A special thanks to all the members of A/2/17, past and present, and all our troops.

post-5148-1312569356.jpg

post-5148-1312569362.jpg

Here is an example of an Aeroscout Platoon patch for A/2/17 in Vietnam. The lineage is obvious, the same Cav hat and a saber being wielded by the attacker. The feather on the cap is a traditional "Scout" decoration. The red dot on the tail of the helicopter is the identifier symbol for A Troop, all of the 101st units had a colored symbol to help identify them. Although I have not confirmed it, the number 775 seems likely to be part of the aircraft serial number. The presentation looks to be that of an OH-6.

IH

post-12336-1312573580.jpg

Patchcollector
Here is an example of an Aeroscout Platoon patch for A/2/17 in Vietnam. The lineage is obvious, the same Cav hat and a saber being wielded by the attacker. The feather on the cap is a traditional "Scout" decoration. The red dot on the tail of the helicopter is the identifier symbol for A Troop, all of the 101st units had a colored symbol to help identify them. Although I have not confirmed it, the number 775 seems likely to be part of the aircraft serial number. The presentation looks to be that of an OH-6.

IH

post-12336-1312573580.jpg

Nice piece! :bravo:

And just to show you that morale in aviation units was frequently very high, here is a little humor from the maintenance detachment of A/2/17.

IH

post-12336-1312583048.jpg

• 8 years later...

I am the VP of the Alpha Troop Association, a non-profit A/2/17 alumni organization.

The red and white A/2/17 patches displayed and their description are correct. The Vietnam patch was developed "in country", 970. Since then, the Alpha Troop Alumni Association has helped active unit Commands design, produce and distribute renditions of the same patch, appropriate for their deployments. Alpha Troop, 2/17th Cavalry is still an active duty Unit based out of Ft. Campbell, KY. These patches are not intended for the general public. The Alpha Troop Association claims copyright protection for the use and production of the patches, the images and distribution of their likeness. Our Troopers earned the right to wear these patches and we hope they will receive your support.

Likewise, the light blue Scout patch was also designed by us in 1971, Quang Tri, RVN. The image you have, indeed, is a caricature of the OH-6. Your example includes the numbers "775". Scout crew chiefs often had the "tail number" of the OH-6 that they maintained, embroidered on their patches. Coincidentally, one of the OH-6s that I flew the most often in Vietnam had a tail number of 775. Scout pilots, typically, had their Call Signs embroidered on their patches, because they may be called upon to fly whatever aircraft was available.

Thank you for respecting the integrity of our Unit patches.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Rats of Tobruk

Thought I would post a couple versions of the classic A/2/17 Cav patch from Vietnam. This patch has been updated a few times over the last 20 years, most recently with an OIF Annihilator version replacing the VC with Saddam Hussein and an OEF version replacing him with a Taliban fighter. If anyone has any of these modern versions for sale or trade, I would very much like to add them to my air cav collection. A special thanks to all the members of A/2/17, past and present, and all our troops.

post-265227-0-12232900-1573708229.jpg