Post Your WWI Collar Disk

cthomas

Added another to the collection today:

08-25-2008070129PM-1-1.jpg

The mailman left me this too. Awesome book! I'd give it 2 thumbs up but one of them was holding the camera :)

001-3-1.jpg

You lucky dawg. It was you who got a fair price on that copy. Good for you! Now I think you can see why I've been promoting it bravo.gif

Oh, and nice Cav disk too...

-Chuck

The mailman left me this too. Awesome book! I'd give it 2 thumbs up but one of them was holding the camera :)

001-3-1.jpg

Special thanks go to you Chuck for giving me the heads up on the auction. thumbsup.gif

It really is a splendid book & must've taken quite some time to put together.

My pleasure. I think you're really going to find a lot of good useful info between those pages.

You were asking earlier if they consistently used bronze for disks & I think I told you they did not. Well, here is one such example made from some type of alloy. Standard screw post on back.

-Chuck

Just for the record....that wasn't my half arsed attempt at cleaning the disk on back. dunno.gif

Colt1911 said:
Special thanks go to you Chuck for giving me the heads up on the auction. thumbsup.gif

It really is a splendid book & must've taken quite some time to put together.

post-518-1219714062.jpg

and the reverse...

post-518-1219714146.jpeg

Here are pictures of the 7th Division 55th Infantry Headquarters Company collar discs. The served at the front during the last month of WWI. From October 8th 1918, to November 6th, 1918.

post-2228-1219979207.jpgpost-2228-1219979225.jpg

@ Chuck: I've noticed a difference between a few of the darker patina type 1's i have as far as the "sound" they make. Trouble is determining what they're made of. think.gif

@ Chuk: Thanks for sharing your disk's. It's great to know the history behind them too.

Here's a few new one's that just arrived:

08-30-2008103000AM.jpg

@ Chuck: I've noticed a difference between a few of the darker patina type 1's i have as far as the "sound" they make. Trouble is determining what they're made of. think.gif

@ Chuk: Thanks for sharing your disk's. It's great to know the history behind them too.

Here's a few new one's that just arrived:

08-30-2008103000AM.jpg

My pleasure.

That would be interesting to know if other materials were used other than bronze or alloy. I can't imagine there were any others...

Is anyone here fortunate enough to have an authentic Chemical Warfare disc with the crossed arty shells?

Having watched a WWI gas documentary last night & reading about the uncommon field version discs, i'm curious to see if any still exist.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here is an uncommon disk, and recent addition. Most that you see are the "dimple back" restrikes made by Naugatuck Novelty Company in the 1980s. This is an original.

post-594-1223241743.jpg

This disk is thought to have only been worn stateside, Tankers "Over There" wore the more familiar "side view tank surmouting dragons and wreath" disk.

Chris

Very interesting Chris. Thanks for sharing this very important piece of info. I'd say also post it in the WWI collar Disk thread I started. It would be a great opportunity for any one checking out that collar insignia thread to refer to this juicy little tidbit on repro insignia. Might also mention an ebay seller you guys who collect WWI insignia are familiar with...alpinemilitary (or something like that). This disk reminds me a lot of the rare disks he had for sale. A classic example of 'too good to be true'

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...st&p=206895

Many years ago, Naugatuck Novelty Company, a sutler for CW re-enacting, whose business address is; Box 271 Newton Road, Northfield, CT. 06778, purchased the remaining WW1 era dies from what was left of the Stokes Kirk company. For many years after, they re-struck WW1 era collar disks using these dies.

I don't know if they still make re-strikes of WW1 disks, but most of the re-strikes that you see on the market today are theirs.

Since they used original dies, the front of the disk is identical to those worn during the war. Fortunately for collectors, they used very distinctive back hardware for their re-strikes, making it possible to tell the "old old" from the "new old"

post-594-1223254717.jpg

As you can see, there is a small hump around the shank, and the nut has a distinctive dimple or relieved area on one side. Occasionally, you will see a WW1 era nut mated with one of these disks, but the best "tell" remains the small raised "hump" around the shank.

post-594-1223254746.jpg

Another

* Photographs are from the www.

Chris

• 4 weeks later...

I just picked up one this week, dark bronze WWI style screwback with crossed rifles and "PHS"

Can someone tell me what unit used this disc?

Thanks

Bill

I just picked up one this week, dark bronze WWI style screwback with crossed rifles and "PHS"

Can someone tell me what unit used this disc?

Thanks

Bill

This one is identified as Public Health Service in Scipio's book on collar insignia.

On second thought....with the crossed rifles it's most likely related to a Pennsylvania High School cadet corps, or JROTC.

If it was just "PHS" then it would be Public Health Service.

• 3 weeks later...

If I may... here's my collection so far. Only the Ohio National Guards, 37th Division.

post-729-1227144444.jpg

Number 2

post-729-1227144499.jpg

Number 3

post-729-1227144548.jpg

Last one. Have more but they are from the 1930's through 1950's.

post-729-1227144593.jpg

My only two WWI USMC disks...

post-518-1233442425.jpg

and the other...

post-518-1233442513.jpg

Croix de Guerre

001-3-1.jpg

I don't know if any one has said but Dr. Scipio was an officer in the 92nd Division during WWII. Every once in a blue moon he still shows up at the Ft. Belvoir show. He is quite a gentleman!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Maybe someone here can help me. Great Grandfather was in WW1 and on his Collar disk are the crossed rifles. NO numbers above the rifles. But underneath are the Letters "PL" The P is not in the center of the Crossed rifles like the Pioneer infantry so that rules out that. He was in the 3rd Army and in the Marines, Any help on this would be great. Especially pictures. Thanks