392 replies to this topic

#26 cthomas

cthomas
  • Members
    • Member ID: 518
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 04:24 AM

Heer Patrick-
Thanks for posting those scans. Is it possible to crop out the excess background for a more detailed shot? Hope I'm not being too much of a pain in the arse...

There are some AMAZING disks being posted here. I started to drool a little when I saw those pics of the buried treasure being unearthed for the first time in almost 90 years. Some people just have all the fun http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/crying.gif

If you allow me to ID a couple of those disks...

The 371st Infantry was part of the 93rd 'Buffalo' division. A rare disk indeed! And that 327th infantry is my favorite-82nd Division!

Bayonetman- That's a fascinating belt with all those collar disks on it. I spotted quite a few I would love to own :rolleyes:

I have a question that's been nagging me for a little while....What's the deal on pot metal disks? Were they 'field made'? The few I've seen appear to be of American manufacture/design. I don't see many of them around. A good example is that 535th Infantry disk Teufelhund posted. That one appears to be made from what I call 'pot metal'.

Edited by cthomas, 07 November 2007 - 04:33 AM.

#27 Ricardo

Ricardo
  • Members
    • Member ID: 202
  • 7,760 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 05:09 AM

Hi All,

My only pair:

http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/1797/ww1m19171nt2.jpg

From...

http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/504/ww1bull1cb2.jpg

Best regards,

Ricardo.

Edited by Ricardo, 07 November 2007 - 05:12 AM.

#28 teufelhund

teufelhund
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,337
  • 956 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 06:43 AM

Heer Patrick-
Thanks for posting those scans. Is it possible to crop out the excess background for a more detailed shot? Hope I'm not being too much of a pain in the arse...

There are some AMAZING disks being posted here. I started to drool a little when I saw those pics of the buried treasure being unearthed for the first time in almost 90 years. Some people just have all the fun http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/crying.gif

If you allow me to ID a couple of those disks...

The 371st Infantry was part of the 93rd 'Buffalo' division. A rare disk indeed! And that 327th infantry is my favorite-82nd Division!

Bayonetman- That's a fascinating belt with all those collar disks on it. I spotted quite a few I would love to own :rolleyes:
I have a question that's been nagging me for a little while....What's the deal on pot metal disks? Were they 'field made'? The few I've seen appear to be of American manufacture/design. I don't see many of them around. A good example is that 535th Infantry disk Teufelhund posted. That one appears to be made from what I call 'pot metal'.

Hello Chuck,

The 371st and 327th discs are coming from the vicinity of PONT à MOUSSON in the Lorraine Region ( Eastern France).
It is amazing to note of how many of these discs were lost in this region of France.
I didn't found them personaly but they are now in my collection as the seller ( who became a friend in the meantime)
had unhearted some more of the same type together with mine.

I remember having on a 77th USID delousing station spot somewhere in the Argonne where .............

As far as the 535th Inf is concerned, I always welcome any information about this "ghost" unit as I could not find anything in the AEF order of battle or elsewhere concerning same.

T

#29 cthomas

cthomas
  • Members
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 06:49 AM

Hello Chuck,

The 371st and 327th discs are coming from the vicinity of PONT à MOUSSON in the Lorraine Region ( Eastern France).
It is amazing to note of how many of these discs were lost in this region of France.
I didn't found them personaly but they are now in my collection as the seller ( who became a friend in the meantime)
had unhearted some more of the same type together with mine.

I remember having on a 77th USID delousing station spot somewhere in the Argonne where .............

As far as the 535th Inf is concerned, I always welcome any information about this "ghost" unit as I could not find anything in the AEF order of battle or elsewhere concerning same.

T

Yes, I too look forward to hearing about this unit.

And by the way Teufelhund- Keep those neat images coming! Simply outstanding!

I always joke with myself and say I missed my true calling. I should have been an archaeologist or museum curator.

Oh, I'd like to add...

Ricardo- Nice tunic!

Edited by cthomas, 07 November 2007 - 06:50 AM.

#30 reddiamond1918

reddiamond1918
  • Members
    • Member ID: 716
  • 55 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 06:59 AM

Hello,

Here is my small collection of collar disk. Most result from the Saillant of st mihiel and the others in camp of St Nazaire.

Bye,
RD18

Posted Image

Posted Image

#31 cthomas

cthomas
  • Members
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 07:08 AM

'RD18'-
Awesome collection. Thanks for posting them here.

Tell me something...where did you get those early pattern Pennsylvania National Guard insignia (third row, far right in first scan)?

Edited by cthomas, 07 November 2007 - 07:08 AM.

#32 teufelhund

teufelhund
  • Members
  • 956 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 09:15 AM

'RD18'-

Tell me something...where did you get those early pattern Pennsylvania National Guard insignia (third row, far right in first scan)?

The Penna NG Insigna probably came from the FISMES-FISMETTE sector ( North of Château Thierry)
Am I wrong Cochonou??

#33 Ricardo

Ricardo
  • Members
    • Member ID: 202
  • 7,760 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 09:26 AM

Ricardo- Nice tunic!

Thanks!! http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif

#34 baker502

baker502
  • Members
    • Member ID: 512
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 09:53 AM

Here are a few Air Service ones that are either on uniforms or Overseas caps. Enjoy Paul

P1010002.JPG

On 12th Photo Section Uniform

P1010003.JPG
On 91st Aero Squadron uniform

#35 baker502

baker502
  • Members
    • Member ID: 512
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 09:57 AM

A few more
P1010007.JPG
On 163rd Aero Uniform
P1010036.JPG
From grouping to 11/2 Air Service Mechanics Co.

#36 cthomas

cthomas
  • Members
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 10:00 AM

Paul-
The information you provided is exactly what I've been after when posting a disk (or disks) to this thread. It'll be that much more informative for anyone browsing this thread.

Nice disks! http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif

Paul- Just saw the 11/2 Air Service Mechanics Co. disk. Any way of seeing a pic of the reverse?

Edited by cthomas, 07 November 2007 - 10:03 AM.

#37 Retired

Retired
  • Members
    • Member ID: 264
  • 645 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 11:47 AM

Paul-
The information you provided is exactly what I've been after when posting a disk (or disks) to this thread. It'll be that much more informative for anyone browsing this thread.

Nice disks! http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif
Paul- Just saw the 11/2 Air Service Mechanics Co. disk. Any way of seeing a pic of the reverse?

Here are a couple of Cavalry disks. As you know, the disks with Troop, Company or Battery letters below the Regimental number were authorized by Circular 68 of 8 October 1907.

Attached Images

• DSCN0730_Medium_Web_view.jpg

#38 Retired

Retired
  • Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 11:51 AM

Here are a couple of Cavalry disks. As you know, the disks with Troop, Company or Battery letters below the Regimental number were authorized by Circular 68 of 8 October 1907.

Here are two of the early MG Troop disks. The Seventh Regt. with MG silhouette below is rare. It is mentioned on Page 216 of Albert Scipio's book on Collar Disks. He states that these disks are known for the First and Seventh Regts.

Attached Images

• DSCN0731_Medium_Web_view.jpg

#39 Retired

Retired
  • Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 11:56 AM

Here are two of the early MG Troop disks. The Seventh Regt. with MG silhouette below is rare. It is mentioned on Page 216 of Albert Scipio's book on Collar Disks. He states that these disks are known for the First and Seventh Regts.

In 1917 additional Cavalry Regts numbered 11 through 25 were authorized. Most of the higher numbered Regiments were later converted to Field Artillery during the war. The U.S. disk worn with the early branch disks were plain.

Attached Images

• DSCN0732_Medium_Web_view.jpg

#40 Retired

Retired
  • Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 12:02 PM

In 1917 additional Cavalry Regts numbered 11 through 25 were authorized. Most of the higher numbered Regiments were later converted to Field Artillery during the war. The U.S. disk worn with the early branch disks were plain.

Change 1 of SR 42 dated 29 December 1917 moved the Regtl. number from the branch disk to the U.S. disk. This simplified the production of collar disks since U.S. 1 could be used for all branches and leaving the Troop, Company or Battery letter on the branch disk meant that Troop A, etc. could be used for all Regiments.

Attached Images

• DSCN0733_Medium_Web_view.jpg

#41 Retired

Retired
  • Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 12:04 PM

Change 1 of SR 42 dated 29 December 1917 moved the Regtl. number from the branch disk to the U.S. disk. This simplified the production of collar disks since U.S. 1 could be used for all branches and leaving the Troop, Company or Battery letter on the branch disk meant that Troop A, etc. could be used for all Regiments.

Here are a couple of the U.S. disks

Attached Images

• DSCN0734_Medium_Web_view.jpg

#42 Retired

Retired
  • Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 12:08 PM

Here are a couple of the U.S. disks

Here are some of my collar disks. They are just loose in the Riker mount and there are reflections from the glass.

Attached Images

• DSC_0123_Large_Web_view.jpg

#43 Retired

Retired
  • Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 12:12 PM

Here are some of my collar disks. They are just loose in the Riker mount and there are reflections from the glass.

Here is the lower half of the display. I also have a large collection of Type I and Type II gilt as well as Type IIIA pre-WW II examples.

Attached Images

• DSC_0122_Large_Web_view.jpg

#44 teufelhund

teufelhund
  • Members
  • 956 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 12:26 PM

Hi All,

My only pair:

http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/1797/ww1m19171nt2.jpg

From...

http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/504/ww1bull1cb2.jpg

Best regards,

Ricardo.

You only have" one pair" Ricardo ????
So we have 3 together
Ha Ha

T

#45 reddiamond1918

reddiamond1918
  • Members
    • Member ID: 716
  • 55 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 03:56 AM

'RD18'-

Hello,

The Penna NG Insigna came from the FISMES-FISMETTE sector. :rolleyes:

Bye,

cochonou

#46 USMCRECON

USMCRECON
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,107
  • 4,490 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 05:04 AM

I only have a couple WW-I enlisted collar discs and they are rather ordinary. Here are three that I could get my hands on quickly. The one on the left is (obviously) still on the uniform of an 81st Div First SGT. The other side of the collar had a standard US disc that I didn't bother to photo. The middle one is a National Army US, also pretty run-of-the-mill and I probably shouldn't have bothered with that one either. On the right is the only one that is even mildly interesting; a stubby-winged Air Service disc.

WW_I_Collar_Discs.jpg

Edited by USMCRECON, 09 November 2007 - 05:14 AM.

#47 cthomas

cthomas
  • Members
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 06:05 PM

'Retired'-

All I can say is "Right On!" Just the information this thread needs. Thanks http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif Great collection by the way....

Bill- Your postings are much appreciated too. The info about that Infantry disk was helpful in a way. Thanks http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif

Let's keep 'em coming!

#48 kfields

kfields
  • Members
    • Member ID: 60
  • 2,067 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 02:26 AM

This one appears ordinary at first but the interesting part is on the back. An early pinback and it's maker marked too! Maker marked on back: " Amer. Emb. Co. Inc. Utica NY.
Kim

Attached Images

• MVC_810S.JPG
  • MVC_814S.JPG

#49 kfields

kfields
  • Members
  • 2,067 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 02:50 AM

Here's another unusual one (to me) . The post on back is attached directly to the disk, no cleats on this one. Not sure if the stubby tire version as shown here reflects a different branch or occupation.

Attached Images

• MVC_822S.JPG
  • MVC_821S.JPG

#50 kfields

kfields
  • Members
  • 2,067 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 02:53 AM

I collect 322nd FA items and bought this disk off ebay. This one has the unit scratched into the disk.

Attached Images

• MVC_817S.JPG
  • MVC_819S.JPG

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (2)