Post Your WWI Collar Disk

cthomas

Paul-

The information you provided is exactly what I've been after when posting a disk (or disks) to this thread. It'll be that much more informative for anyone browsing this thread.

Nice disks! thumbsup.gif

Paul- Just saw the 11/2 Air Service Mechanics Co. disk. Any way of seeing a pic of the reverse?

cthomas said:
Paul-

The information you provided is exactly what I've been after when posting a disk (or disks) to this thread. It'll be that much more informative for anyone browsing this thread.

Nice disks! thumbsup.gif

Paul- Just saw the 11/2 Air Service Mechanics Co. disk. Any way of seeing a pic of the reverse?

Here are a couple of Cavalry disks. As you know, the disks with Troop, Company or Battery letters below the Regimental number were authorized by Circular 68 of 8 October 1907.

post-264-1194464831.jpg

Here are two of the early MG Troop disks. The Seventh Regt. with MG silhouette below is rare. It is mentioned on Page 216 of Albert Scipio's book on Collar Disks. He states that these disks are known for the First and Seventh Regts.

post-264-1194465083.jpg

In 1917 additional Cavalry Regts numbered 11 through 25 were authorized. Most of the higher numbered Regiments were later converted to Field Artillery during the war. The U.S. disk worn with the early branch disks were plain.

post-264-1194465380.jpg

Change 1 of SR 42 dated 29 December 1917 moved the Regtl. number from the branch disk to the U.S. disk. This simplified the production of collar disks since U.S. 1 could be used for all branches and leaving the Troop, Company or Battery letter on the branch disk meant that Troop A, etc. could be used for all Regiments.

post-264-1194465764.jpg

Here are a couple of the U.S. disks

post-264-1194465867.jpg

Here are some of my collar disks. They are just loose in the Riker mount and there are reflections from the glass.

post-264-1194466111.jpg

Here is the lower half of the display. I also have a large collection of Type I and Type II gilt as well as Type IIIA pre-WW II examples.

post-264-1194466315.jpg

Hi All,

My only pair:

ww1m19171nt2.jpg

From...

ww1bull1cb2.jpg

Best regards,

Ricardo.

You only have" one pair" Ricardo ????

So we have 3 together

Ha Ha

T

reddiamond1918
'RD18'-

Awesome collection. Thanks for posting them here.

Tell me something...where did you get those early pattern Pennsylvania National Guard insignia (third row, far right in first scan)?

Hello,

The Penna NG Insigna came from the FISMES-FISMETTE sector. :rolleyes:

Bye,

cochonou

I only have a couple WW-I enlisted collar discs and they are rather ordinary. Here are three that I could get my hands on quickly. The one on the left is (obviously) still on the uniform of an 81st Div First SGT. The other side of the collar had a standard US disc that I didn't bother to photo. The middle one is a National Army US, also pretty run-of-the-mill and I probably shouldn't have bothered with that one either. On the right is the only one that is even mildly interesting; a stubby-winged Air Service disc.

post-1107-1194613237.jpg

'Retired'-

All I can say is "Right On!" Just the information this thread needs. Thanks thumbsup.gif Great collection by the way....

Bill- Your postings are much appreciated too. The info about that Infantry disk was helpful in a way. Thanks thumbsup.gif

Let's keep 'em coming!

This one appears ordinary at first but the interesting part is on the back. An early pinback and it's maker marked too! Maker marked on back: " Amer. Emb. Co. Inc. Utica NY.

Kim

post-60-1194690272.jpg

post-60-1194690309.jpg

Here's another unusual one (to me) . The post on back is attached directly to the disk, no cleats on this one. Not sure if the stubby tire version as shown here reflects a different branch or occupation.

post-60-1194691757.jpg

post-60-1194691790.jpg

I collect 322nd FA items and bought this disk off ebay. This one has the unit scratched into the disk.

post-60-1194691981.jpg

post-60-1194692013.jpg

Kim-

Those are some interesting disks. Thank you for sharing them. I'm very curious about that maker marked US disk. Rarely do I see them marked as such. Very interesting. I also noticed it's not made of bronze. Maybe 'pot metal'?

Can anyone confirm the use of 'pot metal' for collar disks? Obviously it was used to a certain extent. Funny thing is I can't find a reference to its use.

Here are the disks I have.

This is on a tank uniform I have.

post-1304-1195264394.jpg

post-1304-1195264411.jpg

The o/s cap.

post-1304-1195264519.jpg

From a 4th ID uniform.

post-1304-1195264569.jpg

post-1304-1195264578.jpg

These came from a massive grouping I have of a man who served in WWI, between the wars and into WWII. I have yet to get the time to photograph and post the items.

post-1304-1195264772.jpg

Some closer pics.

post-1304-1195264873.jpg

post-1304-1195264844.jpg

Another

post-1304-1195264931.jpg

Sorry for the size.....My photo editor "free" trial ran out.

Troy.

post-1304-1195265036.jpg

This one appears ordinary at first but the interesting part is on the back. An early pinback and it's maker marked too! Maker marked on back: " Amer. Emb. Co. Inc. Utica NY.

Kim

That is one killer disc!!!

American Emblem Company marked seems very unusual with a pinback as well.

Do you have any reference to this type.

Cheers

That is one killer disc!!!

American Emblem Company marked seems very unusual with a pinback as well.

Do you have any reference to this type.

Cheers

Thanks for your interest. I've asked around the last couple years with different collectors but have been unsuccessful in getting more information. One fellow who collects strictly American Emblem stuff never saw one marked like this this early. this disk came with an 89th division grouping that I still have. Kim

Brad, that picture disc is very interesting. can you tell us more about it? was it a troop made piece?

I got it from manion's about 10 or so years ago, I think it's too well made to be trench art but don't know for sure. I have seen others like it with and without pictures in them.

More interesting disks. Love it!

Brad-

Those are some fascinating disks in your collection. That 'trench art' U.S. disk is quite unique to say the least. Great find! I also found that Philippine Scout collar disk also to be intriguing. That variation wasn't in the Scipio book. I was curious as to the meaning of the scratched areas...

Dave- Nice Ambulance company disk!

More interesting disks. Love it!

Brad-

Those are some fascinating disks in your collection. That 'trench art' U.S. disk is quite unique to say the least. Great find! I also found that Philippine Scout collar disk also to be intriguing. That variation wasn't in the Scipio book. I was curious as to the meaning of the scratched areas...

Dave- Nice Ambulance company disk!

That is a WW1 Pioneer Infantry disc with the "P" superimposed on the crossed rifles. A Philippine Regiment would have the "P" in the upper angle.

That is a WW1 Pioneer Infantry disc with the "P" superimposed on the crossed rifles. A Philippine Regiment would have the "P" in the upper angle.

pinch.gif

Thank you for the correction!

Here's one more from the collection...

A 1st pattern Tank Corps...

post-518-1195572608.jpg

post-518-1195572616.jpg

post-518-1195572624.jpg

Hello collector.

"The carry of" collars is not good. It is reversed ;)

solcarlus

What is the meaning of "The carry of" collars? Do you mean that the emblems should be on opposite sides?

What is the meaning of "The carry of" collars? Do you mean that the emblems should be on opposite sides?

Yes,

I think Solcarlus means exactly that !

For enlisted and non-coms, national discs (US, USNA, USNG, USR) to be worn on right side, and branch of service (Inf, Art, Eng, Med, Cav...) on the left side.

Are we wrong ?

Foxy

Yes,

I think Solcarlus means exactly that !

For enlisted and non-coms, national discs (US, USNA, USNG, USR) to be worn on right side, and branch of service (Inf, Art, Eng, Med, Cav...) on the left side.

Are we wrong ?

Foxy

I'll switch the disks for the next photo session. I want to shoot it complete with the pack and belt, etc. Here's a shot of my Grandfather, the disks are as you thought they should be. He's wearing the other set I have from him, before he got the Engineers disk with the 'C'.

Thanks for the heads up.

post-1414-1195828227.jpg