• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Armand

Armand
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 1,934
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 01:00 AM

I own an M1 Carbine from Inland Div. SE 525xxxx. No bayonet lug, Ordnance wheel stamped on the stock. Nothing special here. One thing puzzles me, however... The rear-sight, wich is of the stamped, horizontally-adjustable kind... now... On the right side og the sight, is stamped "I.R. CO" and the number "7160060". What is that? :blink:

Other than that, I can say I recieved it with a lead seal on the triggerguard and it had been air-dropped to the danish resistance forces during WWII.

#2 Peace

Peace
  • Members
    • Member ID: 132
  • 769 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 08:25 AM

Dont have acces to my references right now,

but yours appears to be a type 3 rear sight.

I would say that I.R. CO is the manufacturer, and 7160060 is the drawing number, as all of these rear sights bare the same nomenclature. 7160060 would be similar to the markings used on the main garand parts, like OP rods, trigger housings and receivers.

I'll try to verify what I say when I have acces to my refs.

Hope this gets you started!

Greets

#3 Armand

Armand
  • New Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 10:14 AM

Ahaa... I knew it was the third and last rear-sight... I just don't know when they actually came into production.

#4 Peace

Peace
  • Members
  • 769 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 12:34 PM

I cant put an exact time period on that neither, only that it would have been produced late in the war, I guesstimate mid '44.
Only Rockola, Inland, Winchester, Quality Hardware, Irwin Pedersen and IBM would have used these, and then only on their high numbered serials, unless the carbine has been arsenal upgraded.

[edit:] Armand, I think your Inland should have a type 2 milled rear sight, judging by your serial # 525XXXX, the type 3 rear sight came into use no sooner then the 62XXXXX serial #. Of course, some overlapping is always possible, but 1 million apart is stretching it.

Hope this helps,

Edited by Peace, 05 November 2007 - 12:40 PM.

#5 Armand

Armand
  • New Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 01:04 PM

I cant put an exact time period on that neither, only that it would have been produced late in the war, I guesstimate mid '44.
Only Rockola, Inland, Winchester, Quality Hardware, Irwin Pedersen and IBM would have used these, and then only on their high numbered serials, unless the carbine has been arsenal upgraded.
[edit:] Armand, I think your Inland should have a type 2 milled rear sight, judging by your serial # 525XXXX, the type 3 rear sight came into use no sooner then the 62XXXXX serial #. Of course, some overlapping is always possible, but 1 million apart is stretching it.

Hope this helps,

I am pretty sure it is stamped, so it might be pieced together.
There's a picture below.

http://lvarcolac.dev...t/pic4-69096173

Edited by Armand, 05 November 2007 - 01:05 PM.

#6 Peace

Peace
  • Members
  • 769 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 01:44 PM

Yes, yours is a type 3 stamped rear sight. Probably an arsenal upgrade to your carbine.

#7 Armand

Armand
  • New Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 01:51 PM

Alright... Thanks for your help. :)

#8 Peace

Peace
  • Members
  • 769 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 01:57 PM

My pleasure Armand. Glad I could be of assistence.

#9 BOB K. RKSS

BOB K. RKSS
  • Members
    • Member ID: 283
  • 595 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 02:14 AM

Factory Serial Numbers, & required upgrades: don't have to match time frame of production. When modifications are approved [like Adjustable Sights (1943), & Bayonet Lugs (1944)] > ALL carbines in Depot Stocks, & down to ALL unit/Company Armorers > MUST convert/add the required Modifications; as the new parts are received.

#10 Greg Robinson

Greg Robinson

Deceased Forum Co-Founder

• IN MEMORIAM
    • Member ID: 4
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 03:15 AM

The only M1 Carbine contractors which used the "type 3" adj sight in their wartime production were those still manufacturing weapons after late 1944. And by this time only Inland and Winchester still produced them. Other makers of carbines currently having this sight are most likely post war reworks/upgrades.

#11 BOB K. RKSS

BOB K. RKSS
  • Members
    • Member ID: 283
  • 595 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 03:19 AM

Another one > ROCK-OLA was still producing carbines in 1945, too!

#12 OccupationM1Carbines

OccupationM1Carbines
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 1,970
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 08:23 PM

Hi Armand,

I'm working on an article for the Carbine Club newsletter regarding the OSS and M1 carbines supplied to the resistance groups.

I would be very interested in a photo of the tag on your carbine and any proof marks it might have. I am aware MI5 supplied the resistance in Denmark, including M1 carbines. Another member is working on British prof marks on the Lend-Lease carbines supplied to the UK.

Any help at all would be much appreciated.

Jim

I own an M1 Carbine from Inland Div. SE 525xxxx. No bayonet lug, Ordnance wheel stamped on the stock. Nothing special here. One thing puzzles me, however... The rear-sight, wich is of the stamped, horizontally-adjustable kind... now... On the right side og the sight, is stamped "I.R. CO" and the number "7160060". What is that? :blink:

Other than that, I can say I recieved it with a lead seal on the triggerguard and it had been air-dropped to the danish resistance forces during WWII.

#13 Armand

Armand
  • New Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 08:58 AM

Hi Armand,

I'm working on an article for the Carbine Club newsletter regarding the OSS and M1 carbines supplied to the resistance groups.

I would be very interested in a photo of the tag on your carbine and any proof marks it might have. I am aware MI5 supplied the resistance in Denmark, including M1 carbines. Another member is working on British prof marks on the Lend-Lease carbines supplied to the UK.

Any help at all would be much appreciated.

Jim

I send you a PM on that topic. :)

#14 Hired_gun

Hired_gun
  • Members
    • Member ID: 840
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 11:56 PM

Not true on the sight dating. Type 3 sights came about shortly after the introduction of the type 2. It was just a cheaper, faster way to make them.

During the period that these sights were being installed, both types were being put on rifles at the same time. As a matter of fact Inland reported a shortage of both types of adjustable rear sights and was reportedly still put flip sights on rifles well into 1944.

I own a 5.5 million Inland carbine that is completely original and it has a type 3 adjustable rear sight on it.

The only reason I could see that rifle as having been fitted with anything other than that sight would be if the original one was broken.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users