Funeral Ernest Stricker

boisbelleau

boisbelleau

post-5477-1312303877.jpg

Found in the July 1928 issue of American Legion Monthly: Funeral of Ernest Stricker in the civilian cemetery of Belleau, France.

Urban legend states that Stricker commited suicide in Belleau Wood, because he couldn't bear the thought of being the sole survivor of his company and wanted to join them in death in Belleau.

I've done preliminary research and Ernest Stricker is buried in Belleau but I can not find him in rosters of units which fought in Belleau. It is obvious that he was a veteran and a Legionaire as proven in the attached photo.

Can anybody shed more light on the subject??

Thanks,

Therry

• 7 years later...

attachicon.gifimg488.jpg

Found in the July 1928 issue of American Legion Monthly: Funeral of Ernest Stricker in the civilian cemetery of Belleau, France.

Urban legend states that Stricker commited suicide in Belleau Wood, because he couldn't bear the thought of being the sole survivor of his company and wanted to join them in death in Belleau.

I've done preliminary research and Ernest Stricker is buried in Belleau but I can not find him in rosters of units which fought in Belleau. It is obvious that he was a veteran and a Legionaire as proven in the attached photo.

Can anybody shed more light on the subject??

Thanks,

Therry

This is quite the mystery. I visited his grave this past June after hearing about it from the staff at the Belleau museum. It would be great if the USMF community could shed some light on this.

Semper Fidelis!

Ancestry records show the Ernest Stricker buried in Belleau Wood is also known as Ernst Stricker of Clayton, WI, a Swiss émigré. He served with the 32nd Company of the 20th Engineers. The 20th Engineers official history shows the greatest loss of life for any unit that was a part of it were those lost on the Tuscania, none of whom were with the 32nd Company. Stricker was already in Europe when the Tuscania sinking occurred having crossed on the Carpathia in September 1917.

The inventory and settlement of his belongings prepared by the consulate appears in Ancestry records but the report of his death does not. One was made and is referenced in the settlement but does it appear in the records.

Perhaps he knew someone who died during the war who was buried there and wanted to be buried with him.

He appears on two public family trees on Ancestry. Perhaps the family could shed some light on it.

Ancestry records show the Ernest Stricker buried in Belleau Wood is also known as Ernst Stricker of Clayton, WI, a Swiss émigré. He served with the 32nd Company of the 20th Engineers. The 20th Engineers official history shows the greatest loss of life for any unit that was a part of it were those lost on the Tuscania, none of whom were with the 32nd Company. Stricker was already in Europe when the Tuscania sinking occurred having crossed on the Carpathia in September 1917.

The inventory and settlement of his belongings prepared by the consulate appears in Ancestry records but the report of his death does not. One was made and is referenced in the settlement but does it appear in the records.

Perhaps he knew someone who died during the war who was buried there and wanted to be buried with him.

He appears on two public family trees on Ancestry. Perhaps the family could shed some light on it.

Great info, thank you. Would it be possible to post the inventory of his belongings? No notation of a recipient?

Thank you Lettow. This is all so interesting and sad. Here is a photo I took of his grave. The locals put a new American Flag on it every Memorial Day. It's obvious that they copied the ABMC style cross. His is not marble, but cement.

post-1646-0-29194600-1539109547_thumb.jpg

A Google search turned up a couple of entries that have his story. They include the text of his suicide note.

You're better than I am! I have looked a few times for into without success. I'll try again. Many thanks!

• 3 months later...