NS Meyer Senior Balloon Pilot wings.

rustywings

I've been fortunate to pick up three original N.S. Meyer-made Senior Balloon Pilot wings over the years. I'd like to share them with the Forum's braintrust and ask your opinion about their possible chronological order of production and use. If you have similar, or vastly different examples of Meyer-made Senior Balloon Pilot wings, please, post them here for comparison. Here's my first badge...which I think is the oldest of the bunch. This one is marked "Meyer Metal."

IMG_2511_crop.jpg

Back of Senior Balloon Pilot #1. It has an incised Meyer shield on the left and vertical "Meyer Metal" hallmark on the right which is very difficult to see. The star is separately attached to the stilt legs, which is in-turn attached to the top of the shield.

IMG_2513_crop.jpg

Senior Balloon Pilot wing #2 still has some of the original frosting remaining. It has the same incised Meyer shield as seen with wing #1, but is marked "STERLING" in small letters.

IMG_2516_crop.jpg

Back of wing #2. Note the star and stilts are a single piece attached to the shield...unlike the "Meyer Metal" example.

IMG_2518_crop.jpg

Senior Balloon Pilot #3 is a Meyer's made brass wing with silver wash and a simple incised Meyer shield. The star is applied without stilts.

IMG_2520_crop.jpg

John Cooper

Hi Russ W!

Beautiful wings sir! I wish I could post some examples to compare but I am sad to say I can't. To your point about the order of production I would go with the Meyer Metal just based on that but I wonder about #3 being an early badge or maybe the earliest..?

I think it possible the star used for the first two examples might not have been ready for the newly approved badge so a plain star was attached (we see the stars with legs on later badges). This would have been the same type of star used for the military airplane pilot \ senior pilot starting in 1937. Is the star 1/2 inch in size? In addition the fact it is a brass wing tends (in my mind) to tip the scales to an earlier time frame as well. Last but not least add in the catch and it starts to look like the earlier badge.

I am not sure when the Meyer Metal trademark first was used but maybe someone else can help? I know it has been around since at least 1930... and after doing a quick check the brass aeronaut (balloonest) was available in the Silver plated version in 1930 (for.85 cents)

PS - I think nos. 1 & 3 are the earlier badges and #2 just behind them based solely on the construction of the star which i think is a later design.

Just some quick thoughts.

Cheers

John

;)

Russ,

That is a very, very nice collection!

Meyer Metal has actually been around since 1924, the year N. S. Meyer, Incorporated registered the trademark. It is not a precious metal although it may have a trace of silver in it.

Although the Senior Balloon Pilot rating was not approved until March 1940, John is correct in saying that the star used on your first example was the same type used on many of the original Military Airplane Pilot wing badges (now Senior Pilot) approved in September 1937; therefore, while the star on that first example was probably added to the Meyer Metal badge in 1940 by its original owner, the badge itself may actually date as far back as the mid-1920s... since no Balloon Pilots were trained after 1928, the year the Army closed the Balloon & Airship School.

Would love to know who the originally owner was. Wow!

Cliff

A number of very sweet wings!

It has always been my feeling that the "one piece star on stilts" are factory-made additions to wings, and were more than likely used during the period of time from the mid to late 30's up into the early 40's (~1937 to ~1941). It is only my opinion, but I suspect that this sort of additions to wings were made to existing stock as the war effort geared up and the new insignia were needed. By 1942-1943, I suspect that NS Meyers had brought out the new dies and were making the more familiar patterns without the star on a stilt. Thus, it is my feeling that wing #2 was more than likely produced (or at the very least had the star added in factory) sometime just before WWII.

The Meyer Metal wing #1 may also have been made at the same time as Wing #2, but either the star was added outside the factory by a jeweler or represents a variation in the NS Meyer factory process. Who knows? But, if this is a factory added addition (and I kind of lean that way) then I suspect it is, like the first one above, a late 1930's-pre-WWII addition. It may have been added to old stock that dates back to the 20's or 30's, but it was done to a wing still in the factory. Basically, I kind of think that both Wing 1 and 2 may have been made earlier in the 20's or 30's (ore even up to the pre-war period), but had the stars added in the factory sometime in the late 30's early 40's.

My feeling is that the last wing had its star added outside the factory by a jeweler perhaps. In this case, I suspect that it was also made in the 20's or 30's, but actually had a life outside of a NS Meyer stock bin--and sometime in the late 30's, early 40's, the wing had its star attached by a jeweler as the owner achieved the higher ratings.

Thus, I would reverse the order of age, and go with the oldest to youngest as wing 3, 1, and 2. In support of this, I would argue that the C catch represents the earlier fittings, and the two wings with the safety catch represent the later fittings. The last thing I (IMHO) would rely on are the markings on the back. I suspect that (especially as the war preparations got into gear) that old and new stock was mixed, and old and new dies were used interchangeably. In any case, I suspect no one will ever know for sure, but it is nice to have some good and interesting wings to discuss on the forum.

As always, Russ has one of the nicest collection of WWII wings around and we are lucky to have him on the forum.

Patrick

Thank you all for your input and shared knowledge. I was asked in a personal message to describe the pins. Here's a photo depicting the full cam of the pins.

IMG_2536_crop.jpg

John Cooper

Thanks Cliff & Patrick for posting!

I would love to see some period photos of these type of wing badge in wear and if lucky some background on their service record.

Cheers

John

PS post more senior balloon wings fellas!

armillary_journey

...A variation in pattern, the balloon is thinner and the star is flatter,

worn by Col. Ira R. Koenig, see #83 page 26........from Aviation Badges

and Insignia of the United States Army 1913-1946 by the late J. Duncan

Campbell.

FROM MILITARY RECORDS:

KOENIG, Ira R.

Aero Club of America Spherical Balloon Pilot #80 issued 7 November 1917

World War 1 rating: Junior Military Aeronaut.

Born: 27 September 1889 in Saint Louis, MO.

Education: Washington University, Saint Louis, MO.

Enlisted 28 July 1917; Commissioned 7 November 1917;

Commander of "B" Company, 4th Balloon Squadron, AEF. .

Graduate Balloon & Airship School 1922.

Air Corps Advanced Flying School, Observers' Course 1929.

Air Corps Tactical School, 1940.

Commander 1st Balloon Squadron (1940).

Ratings: Combat Observer; Airship pilot; Senior Balloon Pilot; Balloon Observer; Senior Aerial Observer.

Service: Air Force Officer Serial Number: O-9848

Retired: 1947.

post-18040-1312346598.jpg

post-18040-1312348206.jpg

post-18040-1312348221.jpg

post-18040-1312348234.jpg

post-18040-1312348248.jpg

post-18040-1312348273.jpg

post-18040-1312348294.jpg

Thanks Cliff & Patrick for posting!

I would love to see some period photos of these type of wing badge in wear and if lucky some background on their service record.

Cheers

John

PS post more senior balloon wings fellas!

Just wanted to second that! It does not get any nicer Russ!

Best, John

If you have similar, or vastly different examples of Meyer-made Senior Balloon Pilot wings, please, post them here for comparison.

Russ,

Here is a biographical Meyer-made Senior Balloon Pilot wing with a hallmark different from the ones seen on the other three badges you posted. I don't know when this badge was purchased by the original owner (failed to ask him :pinch: ) but seeing the hallmark and its small STERLING backmark accomplice, might prove useful to some for future reference.

Cliff

post-4542-1312431222.jpg

Cliff, that's one rare Senior Balloon Pilot wing you're sharing with us. To combine your example with the solid provenance which I know exists, certainly makes it the creme-de-la-creme of Meyer's produced variations! Thank you very much for posting.

Armillary, Although not Meyer's produced, you've also posted a beautiful Senior Balloon Pilot wing with wonderful provenance. If you look closely, you might see some of my dried drool on your wing. A few years ago, I was fortunate enough to personally admire your wing while being in the collections of two previous owners. You have a terrific piece of aviation history! If time permits, this weekend I'll try and post a 1 & 5/8 inch version of your same wing with star burst pattern.

Patrick, thank you for your in-depth analysis. Your shared opinion is greatly appreciated.

Gents, please post your Senior Balloon Pilot wings even if your example is just slightly different than previously posted images. I'd also like to see some examples of Meyer restrikes in this rating for comparison. How many generations of Meyer-made Senior Balloon Pilot restrikes are there?

Great wings all. I believe these to be Meyer restrikes. For years I was convinced they were real as they have the proper pin and fit with some of the period wings but the dent around the hallmark always concerned me. After talking with some advanced collectors they believe this dent to be from the Meyer hallmark being struck into the wing after the die striking process. Whatever the hallmark was attached to apparently left this indentation. However I did see a set exactly like this on Ron Bureky's site years ago and he, at least at that time, had them listed as real. I'm going to error on the side of restrike until proven wrong. The pin does have the proper 45 degree camber to it even though it doesn't look like it from this photo.

meyersrballoonfrtlg.jpg

meyersrballoonbcklg.jpg

Hate to sully all the gorgeous wings on this post with this one but since Russ asked for them here you go.

Here's a link to the wings I mentioned on Ron Burkey's site. However these are the standard balloon wings and not the senior wings. They do show the indentation next to the Meyer mark. Sorry, I had a typo in Ron's last name in the previous post. I'd be very happy to be proven wrong on my assumption that these are restrikes but, as mentioned above, I'm keeping that position until proven otherwise.

Great wings all. I believe these to be Meyer restrikes. For years I was convinced they were real as they have the proper pin and fit with some of the period wings but the dent around the hallmark always concerned me. After talking with some advanced collectors they believe this dent to be from the Meyer hallmark being struck into the wing after the die striking process. Whatever the hallmark was attached to apparently left this indentation. However I did see a set exactly like this on Ron Bureky's site years ago and he, at least at that time, had them listed as real. I'm going to error on the side of restrike until proven wrong. The pin does have the proper 45 degree camber to it even though it doesn't look like it from this photo.

Hate to sully all the gorgeous wings on this post with this one but since Russ asked for them here you go.

Hello Bob,

I appreciate your response, your points of view, and the additional images. But with all respect, I think the Senior Balloon Pilot your sharing with us might very well be an authentic 1940's period piece. I've seen that flat spot you're referring to on a number of different Meyer-made wings...and I don't believe it is a unique characteristic of a Meyer restrike. Since your example is not marked STERLING, I'm going to assume it's a silver wash over brass composed badge. The fact that it's not marked STERLING adds some validation. Did Meyer make silver wash over brass restrikes in the 1970's and 1980's?

The simple star attached to your example has the same small diagonal marks across the back, as seen on my 3rd example displayed earlier in this thread. I believe these simple, rather cheaply made stars were produced by Meyer's in the early 1940's...and were not used on their restrike pieces thirty years later. And, as you mentioned, your example does have a very nice 45 degree pin which appears authentic to the pin. Most of the later restrikes had full 180 degree pins applied.

More in the next post.

Russ

Here's a link to the wings I mentioned on Ron Burkey's site. However these are the standard balloon wings and not the senior wings. They do show the indentation next to the Meyer mark. Sorry, I had a typo in Ron's last name in the previous post. I'd be very happy to be proven wrong on my assumption that these are restrikes but, as mentioned above, I'm keeping that position until proven otherwise.

Bob,

Several years ago I closely examined the Balloon Pilot wing offered by Ron Burkey and was wholeheartedly convinced they're an authentic 1930's Meyer produced badge as advertised. I was especially impressed with the clean deep strike of the small STERLING mark, and the fine detail on the back of the wing, not seen in later restrikes. All Meyer restrikes that I've seen have a larger STERLING stamp. In an effort to sway your opinion, let me share a bunch of images of a known authentic Balloon Pilot wing, and compare it to an example with the flat indentation which is causing concern for some.

Here's the front of the wing in question.

IMG_2538_crop.jpg