UNMARKED M1 BAYONET

bayonetman

I received some information about one of the totally unmarked M1 bayonets.

(See my Bayonet Points article at http://www.usmilitaryknives.com/bayo_points_39.htm for general information)

It was packed in a cloth like material and was labeled:

1005 17 600 3449

BAJONET

STUKS 1

METH 1

GOED TOT 4 70

I believe that this is Dutch and represents the Part Number, Bayonet, 1 Piece, Method 1 (presumably the method of preservation), and Good To 4 70 which would be the date that the bayonet should be reinspected.

I know we have some members from the Netherlands on the forum, can you verify that I am reading this correctly? Is the part number the correct Dutch military number for the M1 bayonet. Could this possibly be a Belgian packaging as I presume they also use the Dutch language but am not sure if the number and style is correct for the Belgians.

The information I have about the bayonet leads me to believe they were made on contract for the Dutch military probably by E&F Horster of Solingen, Germany in the 1950s. However, if this label style is Belgian, I will have to revise my thinking.

I received some information about one of the totally unmarked M1 bayonets.

(See my Bayonet Points article at http://www.usmilitaryknives.com/bayo_points_39.htm for general information)

It was packed in a cloth like material and was labeled:

1005 17 600 3449

BAJONET

STUKS 1

METH 1

GOED TOT 4 70

I believe that this is Dutch and represents the Part Number, Bayonet, 1 Piece, Method 1 (presumably the method of preservation), and Good To 4 70 which would be the date that the bayonet should be reinspected.

I know we have some members from the Netherlands on the forum, can you verify that I am reading this correctly? Is the part number the correct Dutch military number for the M1 bayonet. Could this possibly be a Belgian packaging as I presume they also use the Dutch language but am not sure if the number and style is correct for the Belgians.

The information I have about the bayonet leads me to believe they were made on contract for the Dutch military probably by E&F Horster of Solingen, Germany in the 1950s. However, if this label style is Belgian, I will have to revise my thinking.

Saberjet called for my help. I hope I can deliver at least something. :)

Your translation of the Dutch words is correct. I am not sure about METH being the abbreviation of METHODE (method), but you could be right.

I don't know much about the numbering system either (we now use NSN). But the Dutch army did use the M1 Garand rifle until it was replaced by the FAL which in turn was replaced by the Dimaco. So your theory about the bajonet being Dutch does make sense.

I don't know if the Belgians ever used the Garand.

Yes, it is Dutch; the '17' in the top number is the NATO country code for The Netherlands.

Greetz ;)

David

Thank you all for your information and confirmations. All the information I have found so far indicates that these bayonets, although totally unmarked, were made on contract for the Netherlands and I am happy that the information on this tag seems to verify that use.