wearing army ASU for wedding

jdamaso111

DutchInfid3l

This info is from theknot.com:

Planning a military wedding? You'll be happy to hear that they're not all that different from civilian weddings. Many military couples get married in an academy chapel and/or have the reception on a base, but some decide on a wedding with military traditions in their own church, and have the reception at a hotel or restaurant. It's not the location that creates a military wedding; it's the uniforms. Remember, wedding requirements vary depending on rank and military branch, so check with your base protocol officer to find out exactly what you need to do. Check out what we learned about military wedding rules and traditions. If you have specific questions not answered here, call the protocol office or chaplain's office at the nearest military installation (or the one you're eyeing for your wedding) for all the information you'll need.

Wedding Attire

Probably the main distinction of a military wedding is that the bride and/or groom, as well as service members in the wedding party, usually wear their uniforms. The type of uniform depends on the style of the wedding, the time of day, the season, and most importantly, the government-issued uniform manual:

Mess dress uniform is worn for both ultra-formal and formal weddings (i.e., a white or black-tie affair). For most branches, this means a dark-blue uniform, but during the summer months, the army and navy men may wear white pants.

Class-A or Service dress uniform is appropriate at a semiformal event (comparable to a suit). Like the Mess dress uniforms, these are also dark-blue and sometimes with white pants.

The bride and bridesmaids can wear their uniforms (if applicable) but many military brides opt for a traditional white wedding gown. Bridesmaids might wear navy bridesmaids' gowns to complement the colors of the men's uniforms, or any other color dress the bride prefers.

If any of the groomsmen are members of a different service than the groom (Army instead of Navy, for example), they simply wear a uniform of comparable formality to his. The groom and best man do not wear gloves because they will be handling the rings, but the other ushers wear white gloves throughout the ceremony. Boutonnieres are never worn with uniforms; instead, officers wear their military decorations.

Should the fathers of the bride or groom be active or retired officers, they may wear uniforms. So may mothers, although they usually choose to wear traditional mother-of-the-bride attire.

Any non-military wedding-party members simply wear traditional wedding clothes of the same level of formality as those in uniform.

Military guests (active or retired) may wear their uniforms or traditional formal attire. For a black- or white-tie affair, put "Mess dress uniform invited" on the invites to request that your guests come in uniform. For a semiformal wedding put either "Class A uniform invited" or "Service dress uniform invited."

---------------------

From what I've seen the only use of white gloves are for the sword/saber detail. I have yet to see grooms wear them, unless they too are "under arms".

As for the ribbons and such, again I have only really ever seen full size medals worn on the Marine Corps Blue Dress and Navy Full Dress uniforms. The Air Force and Army it's usually ribbons only (except honor guard, etc) with a white dress shirt and bow tie, unless you spring for a mess dress and then obviously wear the mini medals and devices.

one more quick question to anyone who knows, im going to have rank sewn on and i need to know the measurements for it, i cant find it online and i have read throught the pdf on uniforms twice looking for the info!

one more quick question to anyone who knows, im going to have rank sewn on and i need to know the measurements for it, i cant find it online and i have read throught the pdf on uniforms twice looking for the info!

A good cleaner should know. Thats who did mine.

Josh

AR 670-1 3 Feb. 2005 page 200.

"The insignia is worn centered between the shoulder seam and elobow of all uniform coats..."

Bob

Josh

AR 670-1 3 Feb. 2005 page 200.

"The insignia is worn centered between the shoulder seam and elobow of all uniform coats..."

Bob

thank you so much

ive been looking all over for regs on this, i want to wear my ASU for my wedding, which should be before the end of the year to a nice young lady i met in the army :rolleyes:

a few questions i have:

do i wear a bowtie?

can and do i wear white dress gloves?

i have read that if i choose to wear medals over ribbons i cant until after retreat, is this applied to weddings?

I guess you can do what you want and what sort of impression you want to leave people with. A marriage is (hopefully) for life and you probably wouldn't to look at your wedding pictures 20 years down the road and wonder "what were we thinking?" In my opinion, white gloved with battle dress would be out of place and a bow tie (or any tie) with battle dress would look silly. Weddings are normally formal affairs and battle dress is hardly formal. Were it me and, were I active duty Army and wanted to wear my unifiorm, I'd wear dress blues. You could certainly wear white gloves with the blues.

Just my thoughts.

I guess you can do what you want but, in my mind, battle dress is not appropriate for a wedding and white gloves would look tacky. I may just be old fashioned but weddings are normally formal affairs and battle dress is hardly formal Were it me and, were I active duty Army and wanted to wear my unifiorm, I'd wear dress blues. You could certainly wear white gloves with the blues.

i am wearing dress blues haha i would never consider battle dress to my own wedding! unless it was going to be that intense....... :pinch:

DSC00528.jpg

this is what i will wear, the medals on it now are not the anodized ones, which i will be buying for it. and the rank will be sewn on as well. I also need to buy a bowtie.

DSC00531.jpg

this will be underneath, your not allowed to wear your rifle qual badge with medals so i will have class b underneath if i take the jacket off.

then i have my black army all weather trench coat for the weather which i have no idea what it will be like in oct-nov ish in north dakota.

I guess you can do what you want and what sort of impression you want to leave people with. A marriage is (hopefully) for life and you probably wouldn't to look at your wedding pictures 20 years down the road and wonder "what were we thinking?" In my opinion, white gloved with battle dress would be out of place and a bow tie (or any tie) with battle dress would look silly. Weddings are normally formal affairs and battle dress is hardly formal. Were it me and, were I active duty Army and wanted to wear my unifiorm, I'd wear dress blues. You could certainly wear white gloves with the blues.

Just my thoughts.

Buddy, ASU's are the blues. I think that you're getting them confused with ACU's.

• 1 month later...

myuniform002.jpg

just doing this, i have a new ribbon so that is the only thing im adding to it, got my unit DUI's and rank on them now i looked a little too goofy with a bow tie so the tie i have now is what i will be wearing.

memphismeister
myuniform002.jpg

just doing this, i have a new ribbon so that is the only thing im adding to it, got my unit DUI's and rank on them now i looked a little too goofy with a bow tie so the tie i have now is what i will be wearing.

Looks good but bow tie is appropiate. If your going to do it then doing it right lol

When worn with a black bow tie, the Army blue uniform constitutes a

formal uniform and corresponds to a civilian tuxedo. When worn with a black four-in-hand necktie, the Army blue

uniform is an informal uniform.

Looks good but bow tie is appropiate. If your going to do it then doing it right lol

formal uniform and corresponds to a civilian tuxedo. When worn with a black four-in-hand necktie, the Army blue

i guess i can look like pee wee herman for a little while........... :pinch:

No one said a wedding is a bow tie only event. So, wearing the ASU with neck tie for a wedding is acceptable with this uniform configuration. BTW, is the bride wearing a uniform or wedding dress?

congrats!

memphismeister

post-4547-1316318296.jpg

No one said a wedding is a bow tie only event. So, wearing the ASU with neck tie for a wedding is acceptable with this uniform configuration. BTW, is the bride wearing a uniform or wedding dress?

congrats!

A wedding is considerd a formal event,

If you wear a standard tie then it is informal. Its like wearing business attire to a formal event. The above picture is dated but it gets the mesage across

congrats!

wedding dress she hates being in uniform haha

and thanks!

A wedding is considerd a formal event,

If you wear a standard tie then it is informal. Its like wearing business attire to a formal event.

I'd say that what it's considered is up to the bride. If she likes the look of the four-in-hand better, it's certainly not inappropriate.

• 1 month later...

thanks to everyone who gave me information on this, after moving to north dakota, receiving another promotion and thinking everything was going to turn out ok, i found out my fiancee was dating another man on the side and even had an apartment with him as well. Ill hopefully be able to transfer home before the end of the month so wish me luck and thanks again.

Damn jdamaso111, I'm so sorry to hear that. At least you found out sooner than later like after going through with the marriage. Hang in there, though it might not feel like it now, you dodged a bullet. Congratulations on your promotion, and from someone who was unable to serve, thank you for your service.

I think many of us could regale you of our own kick in the ballz moments like yours. Sorry to hear about it, and I know it hurts, but you will get over it. I had the same thing happen to me when I was a young trooper, had orders to Korea, left thinking my fiance at the time would be my wife when I came home on my mid tour leave, only to find out she was doing what yours did. Oddly enough, I just reconnected with her after these last 20 some years, and let me say, things happened for a reason!!!! :laughing1: Then, later spent 15 years married to another who in the end was of the same cut and had another life when I was away! Which was very, very often!

Don't ( easy to say, and hypocritical in the least I know. speaking from experience, lol) dwell on her and all the broken promises, etc.. Just keep a level head, and take things a day at a time. Think of all the things you can still do, and not have to give up for awhile :lol:

My son experienced the same thing while he was away. She also had acces to his accounts and spent all his money for him too(lovely girl). He was devastated then but, if you ask him now, he'd tell you it was the best thing that ever happened to him. He found the girl of his dreams and married her last year... Dress Blues and Bow tie(for the record). Keep the uniform pressed, the best may be waiting for you just a few months down the road! :)

i am wearing dress blues haha i would never consider battle dress to my own wedding! unless it was going to be that intense....... :pinch:

Perhaps I misunderstood the abbreviation. I thought it equated to the Army's battle dress. Guess I was thinking ACU...my mistake.

• 3 weeks later...

1125111716-00.jpg

well here is the almost final product for the MP dinner i am attending for my unit. Need to get my pfc sewn on and i wear the meritorious unit citation cause of my unit, i took two of my ribbons off also.

lets cross our fingers and hope i meet a nice MP girl! :w00t: