Pictures of wings and pretty girls

pfrost

As much as I like collecting wings, I also enjoy finding those pictures of guys wearing wings. I ESPECIALLY like pictures of guys wearing wings with pretty girls (and sometimes not so pretty).

Here are a few of the photos from my collection.

This first one is of a service pilot wearing what looks like an LGB service pilot wing. The gal on the left has a USN cap badge pinned on her blouse.

post-1519-1194152853.jpg

post-1519-1194152868.jpg

I like this family portrait of a bombardier and his family. The mom and sister are wearing his cadet wings on their dress. The dad has a "son in service" pin that I cropped out when I scanned this photo.

post-1519-1194153420.jpg

This is another favorite of mine. This is one of those "souvenir"photographs from the Streets of Paris Nightclub--Hollywood's hot night spot! This fella is having a VERY good night but I think he is clearly facing an ace and may end up in trouble.

post-1519-1194154237.jpg

post-1519-1194154281.jpg

Another one of my favorites. This is Mr and Mrs Freydig. Elenore seems to have been a real pip of a gal. I love the photo of her in her husbands uniform. Also a very racy photo (especially for 1918!) of them skinny dipping. Notice that she doesnt seem to be having ANY problems with being shy!

She must have been a real fire cracker!

First the happy couple.

post-1519-1194154555.jpg

sometimes its not just guys with wings and pretty girls. Sometimes its wings and little kids.

A couple of "cold eyed killers"!

Jr and his "moll" Dorathy

post-1519-1194155017.jpg

Last one for the night. This pretty gal had put together a nice album covering 1918 to 1945 or so. Sadly, I dont know her name, but I think her father was an instructor at Kelly Field during WWI and her brother was a pilot cadet. Later, I think she married a CBI pilot. However, her is a very nice photo of her wearing a WWI wing on her dress.

This is one of those situations that really steam my oysters as a collector. I found the photos in a box of a local junk dealer. Must have been about 1000 pictures covering near to 4 generations of this family. I spent HOURS picking out all the militaria-related pics. Almost nothing was ID'd in any usable fashion...no names. Just rarely, some dates and locations.

Here is the young lady at Kelly Field in 1918.

This is the type of wing she is wearing on her sash

post-1519-1194157260.jpg

post-1519-1194157511.jpg

I think this is her husband in Agra, India in 1944 or so. Clearly, he just was promoted, but his fellow squadron mates seem less than impressed.

post-1519-1194157365.jpg

Another one of my favorites. This is Mr and Mrs Freydig. Elenore seems to have been a real pip of a gal. I love the photo of her in her husbands uniform. Also a very racy photo (especially for 1918!) of them skinny dipping. Notice that she doesnt seem to be having ANY problems with being shy!

She must have been a real fire cracker!

First the happy couple.

These are all great photos.

I looked up the Freydigs on ancestry.com: she lived to be 88 - must have been that lively spirit. She and husband Paul are buried here in San Diego County at Ft Rosecrans national cemetery.

These are all great photos.

I looked up the Freydigs on ancestry.com: she lived to be 88 - must have been that lively spirit. She and husband Paul are buried here in San Diego County at Ft Rosecrans national cemetery.

I think a lot of their family paperwork surfaced at the local So. Cal flea markets a few years ago. I got one of the photo albums of Paul and Elenore Freydig at the Rose Bowl flea market a few years ago, but I have heard that a lot of his paperwork ended up in other collections. Kind of sad. Only one of the photos had their names on it, so I was able to ID them. But had that been missing....

Paul Freydig was a relatively important early aviator.

One other photo of the Freydigs. They seemed to be a very nice couple! She was from an important family in Pasadena Cal.

post-1519-1194158983.jpg

Here are two I've come across at flea markets in Northern California. I have no idea who they are. The one getting married is wearing a bombardier wing and the colorized one is wearing observer wings.

post-1389-1194160718.jpg

post-1389-1194160732.jpg

Then there is this fighter pilot he-devil!

I noticed this kid has a Good Conduct ribbon :lol:. Wonder how good he had to be before mommy signed the award citation

Great photos of Mr. and Mrs. Freydig. Seems like they were a great couple. I especially like the photo of them sitting on the porch with his tall officer's boots and M1911 cavalry spurs. Really brings you back to the golden age of romanticism of the air.

• 9 months later...
IMPERIAL QUEST

Fantastic thread Patrick. I like your style. ;), and I reeeeeeeaaaaaaaallllllllyyyyyyy like the "fly girl" in post #7. I bet she was indeed a spunky little hand full naughty.gif .

Great thread Patrick. These little glimpses certainly breath life into the wings. I have a couple of pictures of my father with my mother and his mother, but only my mother was wearing wings. As usual, GrandPa was the photographer, so no one thought to take a picture of him with my father. Too bad, too. When my father returned to England for a second tour, his father thoughtlessly died and left us without a WWII picture of the two of them together. No doubt some of the pictures in your collection could tell stories that are not obvious from the picture alone, as I have found the common "crew" pictures often do.

I will have to go through the collection and see what else new I have. I really l ike family photos, photos of sons/mothers, photos of pretty girls with wings, and the funny photos.

This is another favorite of mine. This is likely a graduation photo of an 11th AB paratrooper and his family in Los Angeles. The dad looks extra spiffy in his Zoot-Suit and mom looks like if her boy doesn't kills her some "Japs", the she is packing a brick in her purse to give them some "what for" herself! This is one tough family.

I wish I had this guy IDed, as his photos are great. More of his pictures are posted on my site here:

http://pfrost.bol.ucla.edu/airborne.html

post-1519-1219268348.jpg

Here is another one from that family. I think of them as "Spike", "Rocko", the Lill' sister, and "Jr the paratrooper". Can you imagine being the fellow who wanted to date their little sister! Step lightly and behave yourself at all times. Look at the size of the guys hands--I bet they were either farmworkers in the San Fernando Valley or worked on the docks down at Long Beach.

post-1519-1219269192.jpg

Great photos. It really hits me that these photos pop up for sale most likely because those pictured have passed on. All those memories, hey? Kinda sad that they are gone.

-Ski

"Oh no, I stepped in a pile of babies! Get them off of me!"

He is obviously flustered, but mom is on the way--no nonsense here!

post-1519-1219269483.jpg