Navy Honorable Discharge Lapel Pin

I have seen three different Navy honorable discharge lapel pin designs (not including the all white one for the Navy Reserve). The most common one that I run across says U. S. Navy at the top on a white background, with the words honorable and discharge being on separate red and blue backgrounds. The other two have United States Navy spelled out along the top, but one has all of those words on a white background, while another (like the one shown here that I picked up on our Midwest road trip) has those words straddling red and white backgrounds while the letters of the word honorable straddle red and blue and the word discharge straddles blue and white. Any rhyme or reason for the differences? Thanks, Al Hirschler in Dallas.

post-12790-1311898476.jpg

I have seen three different Navy honorable discharge lapel pin designs (not including the all white one for the Navy Reserve). The most common one that I run across says U. S. Navy at the top on a white background, with the words honorable and discharge being on separate red and blue backgrounds. The other two have United States Navy spelled out along the top, but one has all of those words on a white background, while another (like the one shown here that I picked up on our Midwest road trip) has those words straddling red and white backgrounds while the letters of the word honorable straddle red and blue and the word discharge straddles blue and white. Any rhyme or reason for the differences? Thanks, Al Hirschler in Dallas.

Just added a pic of the reverse. Any significance? Thanks.

post-12790-1311902584.jpg