Sword Belt & Hanger

SARGE

Gents,

I picked up an interesting variation of the US Model 1902 Army Officer sword belt and hanger at a militaria show last week and I thought I would show it here.

Cadet_white_sword_belt.JPG

This white belt and hanger was worn by military school cadets and by some honor guards. This one was probably worn by a cadet since it is such a small size. The belt was made by Jay-Pee and is a size 24" while the white brass buckle was made by Anchor. The white frog is unmarked. All the metal fittings are white metal.

Cadet_white_belt_buckle.JPG

This style of belt was worn prior to adoption of the Sam Browne belt with cross strap. US Officers serving overseas in the AEF were authorized to wear the Sam Browne belt but when they returned stateside they were to remove the cross strap. Here is an example of the same belt with two strap sword hanger for the Model 1902 Army Officer Saber with darkened bronzed fittings. It is shown on a circa 1917 Massachussets State Guard Officer uniform with bronzed insignia. This would be the correct belt for this particular uniform since the state militia was not federalized and did not serve overseas during the war.

Col_Cox_right_close.JPG

Here is a closeup view of the two strap hangers with bronzed fittings that is correct for this belt.

Col_Cox_sword_hangers.JPG

The Sam Browne belt became US regulation, with bright brass fittings, in the 1920s.