Interesting WWI Victory Medal to Joseph Sawyer - with typed history

Manchu Warrior

Manchu Warrior

post-1412-1193963544.jpgpost-1412-1193963562.jpg

I picked this WWI Victory Medal up a few weeks ago. It was in a box lot at an estate auction along with what I believed was just a roll of paper. The paper turned out to be a detailed account of the WWI experience of the soldier the Victory Medal was issued to. The paper is sixteen pages long and makes for a very interesting read. The soldiers name was Joseph Sawyer and as you can see it says on the back of the plaque that he was in the 110th Infantry Regiment of the 29th Division. I was in the 29th for a few years and I know that there was the 110th Field Artillery attached to the 29th but I don't believe that there was ever a 110th Infantry attached to the Blue and the Gray, so this must be a mistake. The plaque is not old but the paper looks legit. It has what looks like a very old government water mark and looks like it was typed on a very old typewriter, plus I did not pay very much for the items. So, I believe it would have been to much work to be faked then end up in a box lot at an auction. As much as this soldier wrote about he did not mention what division he was in. He goes into great detail about being wounded and the most interesting details are when he encounters a wounded German soldier that could not walk. He tried to kill the German, by putting his boot across his neck, but the soldier started to the cry so he did not kill him and just took his weapon and left him alone. Any information on what division Joseph Sawyer's was in would be appreciated. Joe often writes about Camp Meade, Maryland so maybe he was in the 79th Division? Thanks

...and I know that there was the 110th Field Artillery attached to the 29th but I don't believe that there was ever a 110th Infantry attached to the Blue and the Gray, so this must be a mistake.

There was a 110 Machine Gun Battalion in the 29th Division

During WW1, the OB for the 29th Division is as follows:

Division Headquarters

- 110 Machine Gun Battalion

- 104 Trench Mortar Battalion

- 104 Engineer Regiment

- 104 Field Signal Battalion

- 113-115 Field Hospital/Ambulance Companies

57 Inf Brigade

- 113 Infantry Regiment

- 114 Infantry Regiment

- 111 Machine Gun Battalion

58 Inf Brigade

- 115 Infantry Regiment

- 116 Infantry Regiment

- 112 Machine Gun Battalion

54 Arty Brigade

- 110 Arty Regiment

- 111 Arty Regiment

- 112 Arty Regiment

The 110 Infantry Regiment was a component of the 28th Division.

Chris