Captain Henry Laurence Cullen's funeral

USMCRECON

Today I attended the funeral at Arlington cemetery for my dear Marine buddy, Larry Cullen.He died in late March and was cremated. Today, on a blisteringly hot and sunny morning, we laid him to rest with full military honors in the Columbarium at Arlington Cemetery. In attendance were some 150 family, friends, and fellow Marines from 3rd Bn, 5th Marines. He earned the Bronze Star with "V" device and two Purple Hearts during Operation Hastings in June 1966.

Following are a couple selected pictures from the day. In this one, the caisson is arriving with Larry's remains. They put the box containing the ashes in a coffin for transport to the Columbarium

post-1107-1311297755.jpg

Here the Marine honor guard is preparing to remove Larry's remains from the caisson. The casket is a false one with a compartment in the back that opens to remove the urn.

post-1107-1311297897.jpg

Hilary and me with Larry's brother, Peter at the Ft Myers reception. Pete's a Hollywood voice-over guy and has been the voice of Optimus Prime in the Transformer cartoon and all of the movies.

post-1107-1311298587.jpg

Peter again with one of my daughters, Brandy, and two of my grandchildren, who love the Transformer movies. Peter is a fantastic guy and a great friend in his own right.

post-1107-1311298680.jpg

Thanks for the kind words. Looks like I screwed up a bit and posted the same picture twice on posts 3 & 4.

Sorry for the duplicity there; I was exhausted from the heat and the emotional drain of the day and was rushing to get the pictures posted before going to bed last night.

I got some additional pictures of Larry's funeral from my and Larry's friend Bill Borgio. Bill was among the group of former 3/5 Marines who served with Larry in 3/5 and on Op HASTINGS attending the funeral. Some of these following shots will be similar to ones I took but he also got some while my camera was malfunctioning and are one-of-a-kind.

This one shows the entrance to the Administration building where family members gather before a funeral.

post-1107-1311943409.jpg

Larry's brother, Peter, heading for the covered pavilion near the Columbarium where the flag and rendering of honors ceremonies took place.

post-1107-1311943782.jpg