29 replies to this topic

#26 SlaterDoc

SlaterDoc
  • Members
    • Member ID: 45,001
  • 190 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 10:20 AM

[quote name='sigsaye' date='Jul 24 2011, 08:25 AM' post='869469']
While I agree that the Navys new blue cammie uniform is pointless for the fleet, I would like to point out the "Media type Hype" of your "Man Overboard" story. When have Sailors NOT worn blue uniforms?

It was meant to illustrate that they have not done anything to make things better. But instead, have made things worse! It seems they are not concerned first with comfort or safety! There were many lost overboard over the years. Instead of designing for looks first, you'd think function would take precedence! I remember reading or hearing once of a non-military type that had developed a material that once it hit salt water it would fluoresce! Now that would be an advance! OK, maybe not in wartime!
One thing that the old chambray had was it was more comfortable, especially in warmer climates. As for looking like all the other services, so much for that part of "Navy Pride"!

Edited by SlaterDoc, 24 July 2011 - 10:21 AM.

#27 KRIS FORD

KRIS FORD
  • Members
    • Member ID: 176,157
  • 397 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 08:17 AM

Ahoy. If i can add That this type of hat although it was an oficial item was not worn anymore after WWII, even in the WWII it was not seen that much except in the earlier part of the war,it was a issue item, and although it would be worn from time to time during the course of the war, this cap,as you would know,nicknamed the donald duck cap was immensly unpopular. It was worn sometimes by Boots in the 50s but it was a limeited item, that was soon thown away into a locker, never to be worn again. The original flat hat had no resembilance to this type, which came out i think in the 20s, thus its nickname when walt disney's charactor donald duck became popular in the 30s. The original flat hat was just that, a large flat dish/dinner plate like crown, and was worn from as you say in the 1850s, but was worn up into it was superceded by this new design, indeed the original flat hat to was begining to loose popularity to the now familer white cap, which started to be worn more and more as a every day duty, and liberty/leave cover even as early as the immidiate period before our involument in the great war.

I recall my grandfather saying the ONLY time he wore his, was in in New York City..and that was somewhere between '52-'56...

#28 MastersMate

MastersMate
  • Members
    • Member ID: 162,267
  • 770 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 10:20 AM

Up until 1963sh, if the uniform of the day was designated service dress A, the the blue cap was required. If service dress blue B was designated, then the white hat was required.  By change 3 to the USN uniform regs in 1964 the designation A or B was eliminated. That corresponds to when the blue cap was eliminated from the seabag..

When the Coast Guard adopted the USN 1950s prototype white covered flat cap in 1966, that cap was worn with the service dress blue or white uniforms. The white hat was worn with the undress blue, white, and dungaree working uniform.  Blue ball caps were an option..

Attached Images

• Hong Kong A.JPG

Edited by MastersMate, 11 March 2018 - 10:34 AM.

#29 MastersMate

MastersMate
  • Members
    • Member ID: 162,267
  • 770 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 10:47 AM

The proposed USN white flat cap from the 1950s..

Attached Images

• 1950USNproposed.JPG

#30 hirsca

hirsca
  • Members
    • Member ID: 12,790
  • 3,665 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 06:55 AM

I looked thru mine(8 total) and none of the WW2 ID'ed ones have labels.. only 5 have size labels, 3 are stickers with the size on the sweatband, 2 are a painted cleesecloth type of material and are sewn into the sweatband. Of the 2 that have labels, both are behind the sweatband. 1 is un-issued and says:
Manufactured for
CLOTHING SUPPLY OFFICE
100% Wool exclusive of ornamentation
Name_________________
Service No._____________
CONT.NO. N140(62236)57774 B

The other one, named to a Tagliarini, F.D. 457 98 91, reads:
MANUFACTURED
FOR CLOTHING
SUPPLY OFFICE
100% Wool Exclusive of Ornamentation
Name_________________
Service No._____________
CONT.NO. DA-30-352-TAP-1933

In my opinion, the one pictured is a good WW2 example as the post-war ones have a different plasic piece in the top. It is heavier and more of a clear than a brown in my 2 later ones. All my WW2 ones are just like the one pictured.

Fins...

I received a Cracker Jack hat from my wife for my recent birthday.  It has the same tag and contract number as the second example shown above.  An online search brought me to this thread.  Nothing else came up.  Does the 1933 indicate the fiscal year that the contract was issued?  Or does the DA prefix put the contract date into the 1953-1961 era of contract numbers?

Many thanks,

Al

P.S.  Further research found the date to be 1952:  DA-30-3(52)-TAP-1933.  1933 must be a manufacturer's ID.

Al

Edited by hirsca, 31 December 2018 - 07:06 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users